RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada

Ok I have posted twice with photos of Ottawa, both last fall, except that one of the posts was in the spring. The first link is to my spring post and the second is to the fall photos:

Ride Report - Spring in Ottawa

Ride Report - Fall Colours Ottawa, Canada

The Rideau Canal Skateway is billed as the world's longest skating rink. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.canadascapital.ca/skateway/index_e.asp

I never knew that the train ran alongside the canal until seeing this photo on the billboard that is in the ice at the beginning of the Canal (1st photo)

2nd photo shows the old train station on the right. The buildings on the left are the Parliament Buildings.

3rd photo was taken in the spring about half a mile further "up" the canal. The buildings on the right are part of the Chateau Laurier Hotel the old railway hotel that is a landmark.

4th photo is spring on the canal from the same spot in the opposite direction
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0002.jpg   Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0004.jpg   Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-rbr-03%5B1%5D.jpg   Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-rbr-04%5B1%5D.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    1st photo - Same view further up the canal.

2nd photo taken at the other "end" of the canal where the narrow canal turns into a large lake called Dow's Lake

3rd photo same spot as previous shot but to the left and using a telephoto. The park in the background is called The Arboritum and is my favorite park in Ottawa (no small feat)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0011.jpg   Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0015.jpg   Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0018.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    This is the end of one of the branches. Facing the viewer is one of the "locks" which is open and even has a boat in it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0025.jpg  
    Last edited by BaadDawg; 01-31-2005 at 06:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Next 2 photos Not too far from the locks and inside The Arboritium is the bridge. It runs right through the park along the water and has a beautiful newly paved bike path that I try to take every day. Taken in the spring.

Next 2 photos - Winter wonderland shots of same bridge. Background begind 2nd winter bridge photo is the upper part of the Arboritum. People toboggan down the steep slope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-rbr-06%5B1%5D.jpg   Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-rbr-07%5B1%5D.jpg   Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0035.jpg   Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0036.jpg  
    Last edited by BaadDawg; 01-31-2005 at 06:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Last 2 Photos

Not far from where the bridge shots are taken heading towards Dow's Lake

Last photo is about 4km from Dows Lake and is just past 5th Avenue.

Well it's not a pure bike ride report but this will have to do. It was a perfect day. -5C and no wind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0037.jpg   Ride Report Skating on the Rideau Canal Ottawa, Canada-canal-skateway-0045.jpg  

A Canadian in Sweden
    Thanks DB for the great pics. I come from Montreal and some of my fondest memories of Ottawa are going skating on the Rideau. The Rideau is a great outdoor experience, if the ice is good and the temps are around -5 to -15C. A few years ago, my sister told me about the Rideau being closed due to warm temps and the ice not freezing well enough. Ottawa is a beautiful winter city. And the perfect Canadian capital.
    Cheers, Wayne

Every little counts...
    Cool. I skated to work this morning, I work in one of the buildings at Dow's Lake, and live on the other end near downtown. Good to have our three weeks of -20C or worse finally break.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

grippy...

wow, memories...

I grew up a mile or so from Dow's Lake, and those pics really capture everything that's great about Ottawa in the wintertime. i have a sudden craving for a hot chocolate and a beavertail...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I'm checking all the photos for my sister and neice, since they have been out skating the last few days since it's warmed up. Seems you missed them though. Thanks for the photos!