RoadBikeReview Member

Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...

My club did its first century group ride on Sunday. We started at the North-Western tip of NJ and did a loop through the Catskills. We rode out along the West side of the ridge. Then over it, through Minewaska State Park, and returned on the East side. The Ride got its name because we rode right below the "Gunks" which are very popular with the rock climbers. A 200' vertical wall looks over the Hudson Valley and I'm told it provides the best climbing in the East.

The day started dreary at best. I had a 2+ hour drive to the start and it rained most of the way. I dragged "Thr0ttles" (aka: Mike) along for the trip. Just before arriving the rain stopped and our mood improved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-gunkcentury-map-profile.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-01.jpg  
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member

Wet Roads...

Between the early rain and the forecasted heat, our turnout took a beating. We had Six of us at the start. It wasn't looking great at the start but it never rained on us and the roads were just wet for the first hour or so.

From Left to Right: Eric, Bob (Ride leader), Bob (Club Pres.), Catherine, Mike (Thr0ttles), and myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-02.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-03.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-04.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-04a.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member

Up and over...

We headed North and, before long, the ridge-line came into view. The skies began to brighten and things were looking up.

And Up...And Up...And Up!!!

We eventaully found our way to the climb of the day. Roughly 6 miles with 1,100 feet of climbing. Nothing terribly steep, but we would be pointed upwards for a while. The boys huddled together and forged ahead, dancing on our pedals. I took a few pics and realized Catherine was getting smaller and smaller in my mirror. I dropped back to keep her company.

I managed to get a few smiles out of her along the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-05.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-06.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-07.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-08.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-09.jpg  

Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-10.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member

Lake Minewaska...

Catherine, being a trooper, even did the optional steep climb in the park up to Lake Minewaska. The others may have gotten there first, but I got proof we were there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-11.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-12.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member

What goes up...Must come down...

We rejoined the others and took a little break. Now comes the fun part. A nice descent with a few switch-backs. These photos are taken at the nicest one. Mike and I were trying to get a couple good shots. It's not easy to hit a moving target with a digital camera. We had to go back up a couple times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-13.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-13a.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-14.jpg  

banned
    Feb 2004

one question.

I see that in some of them you have stopped to take the picture, but how did you set up the mid ride shots, the ones of everyone in the paceline? I have wanted to do this for a while, but have never had the nads to try taking the picture as we ride. Are you just sticking the camera behind you or in front of you and hoping for the best? Or are you that confident of a rider that you can ride and look in the LCD screen or view finder?

RoadBikeReview Member

Ahh...The Sun...

As we got back into the valley the sun finally poked through and turned on the heat. We had numerous rollers and a couple small climbs to deal with. The remainder of the ride would be into a headwind too. Oh boy!

We all pushed ahead, sometimes at our own pace. Then we'd regroup and continue on. Eventually, we found our way back the cars after 100 miles in the saddle.

Notice the "Gunks" in the first photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-15.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-15a.jpg   Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-15b.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avgbear
    Are you just sticking the camera behind you or in front of you and hoping for the best? Or are you that confident of a rider that you can ride and look in the LCD screen or view finder?
    When I take pics ahead of me or to the side, I look at the LCD screen and try to eye up the shot as best I can. When I take pictures of riders behind me, I "shoot from the hip" and hope for the best. With practice, I've gotten pretty good at it. If I mess up, I just delete it later.

The portraits at the lake were taken while stopped as are the ones at the switch-back. All the others are taken while riding. Keep in mind I am able to crop the photos on the computer afterwards. I trim off a lot of fluff for the ride reports and then re-size them for consistancy.

RoadBikeReview Member

Special thanks...

Special thanks goes to Debbie for driving a sag wagon for us. She leap-frogged us during the entire trip and carried our coolers so we didn't have to deal with convenience stores. Thankfully, there was no need for major support this time but having a mobile food stand was great. The heat and humidity had us all drinking extra towards the end.

Thanks Deb!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-mini-16.jpg  
    Last edited by biknben; 08-02-2004 at 05:49 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Nice ride

Thanks for the report. Iíve been off the bike for a week (Tendonitis) so itís nice to at least get a vicarious ride fix.

C ya out there soon (I hope)

- Chris

P.S. - I hope you're not going soft with these supported rides ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...and here's my one decent action shot from the ride...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Skyland's Gunk Century...-110.jpg  

Just Riding Along

Nice report...

I too am recovering. In my case it's knee surgery for torn meniscus so it's great to see riding still takes place without me.

I particularly like the pic of Ben at the switchback with the other photographer in the background. It highlights the burden of taking these pictures and posting these reports. As an earlier poster implied, these pictures don't take themselves.

enjoyed it!

Incorrigible Wanderer - R.I.P.

Any idea what the riding's like around West Point?

If and when I ever get back that way, I'd like to ride along the Hudson, maybe using Highland Falls or the Academy as a base. It's been nearly 40 years, so my memories are a bit hazy...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus
    If and when I ever get back that way, I'd like to ride along the Hudson, maybe using Highland Falls or the Academy as a base. It's been nearly 40 years, so my memories are a bit hazy...
    Well, in that area, I'm not familiar with anything North of the Bear Mtn. Bridge. If you were to travel South to Harriman State Park you'd have plenty of good riding. Many NYC area riders travel North to get there and truely love the roads and scenery.

Incorrigible Wanderer - R.I.P.
    O.K.--thanks. I'll keep Harriman in mind (after I find it on a map )

AIE
    midnight melon mounter

Lovely

Catherine's arms are lovely.