RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

Riding in Dorado, Puerto Rico

I am going to spend a couple of weeks in Dorado, Puerto Rico. Anybody have any information if there are any group rides in the area or any safe rides (I have heard the traffic is bad down in PR).

Thank You,

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarangu
    I am going to spend a couple of weeks in Dorado, Puerto Rico. Anybody have any information if there are any group rides in the area or any safe rides (I have heard the traffic is bad down in PR).

Thank You,
    It's possible in Dorado. San Juan Area is the worst for riding. Dorado is about 20 miles west. If you have a decent map, you can ride around the Dorado area with little trouble. I suggest going south or west, don't go east...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

merckxman
    Jan 2002

Contact PR Cycling Federation

maybe they can hook you up with riders or ride info:
    http://www.federacionciclismopr.com/

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    It's possible in Dorado. San Juan Area is the worst for riding. Dorado is about 20 miles west. If you have a decent map, you can ride around the Dorado area with little trouble. I suggest going south or west, don't go east...
    One other thing. The Hyatt Ceromar and Hyatt Dorado beach have a path that connects them. The path is only about a mile long but once your inside the Hyatt Dorado Beach, there are plenty of roads inside the compound. There are a lot of private roads on the Hyatt property. I don't know if it's worth taking a bike for riding inside the property but both hotels rent beach cruisers.

Another tip is too look for roads that are 4 digits vs 3 digits. Example: highway 110 is busy but highway 4114 is a smaller road with less traffic.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Riding in Dorado

Quote Originally Posted by Tarangu

Thank You,

Every saturday 7.00 am , there is a group ride that leaves from San Patricio Mall in Guaynabo and ride to Dorado in a round trip of about 60 miles. It is a fast group so I am sure you will enjoy it. If you want more information let me know.

Unai

banned
    Apr 2004
    That's pretty cool. Post some pics of the ride if you can.

RoadBikeReview Member

Oh no.

I lived in Puerto Rico for 3 years both in Fajardo and Palmas Del Mar and loved it. But I would not ride my bike on the public roads. The local drivers use all of the road to get from point A to B including the shoulder as a passing lane. Leave the bike at home and enjoy the sunshine.

Plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by unai
    Every saturday 7.00 am , there is a group ride that leaves from San Patricio Mall in Guaynabo and ride to Dorado in a round trip of about 60 miles. It is a fast group so I am sure you will enjoy it. If you want more information let me know.

Unai
    Thank you for all the responses. Unai since you seem to be a local rider, is it safe to ride in PR? Is it safer in the Metropolitan Area or in rest of the island? Do you know of any roads around Dorado that are good for riding.

As you can see, most people who have been to PR seems to believe the drivers down there are too crazy and cycling down there is just not safe. I would be curious about your opinion on this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

riding in PR

I would advice against riding by yourself. It will be better to go on a group ride, you'll be safer. That is why I was telling you about the saturday ride. Yes its true, drivers are crazy. Though I have been riding in PR roads for 18 months and haven't had any accidents. Last week, 170 cyclist made the 300 miles PR roundabout in three days which is a lot of fun. No accidentes. I couldn't go, but I have made the trip before.

There is , however, a ride which is pretty safe leaving form Isla Verde to Pinones Forest along the coast. In there, you'll find a beatifull bikepath for comfort and mt bikes. It si not made for road bikes.

Unai
    Attached Files Attached Files

No More Tears
    Mar 2004
    I think it would be crazy to ride alone. I go down there regularly(El San Juan and Dorado Beach). I think if you came from Italy you would be used to the crazy driving. I'd also bring a gun or mace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Guys:

I have been riding in various places in PR for a couple of years. Although I'm sure its not the safest place on earth to ride, I have never had any accidents to regret. Your best bet is to ride on weekend mornings since there are few cars on the road (I'd say before 10am) and try to ride in groups whenever you can, as Unai said. It is always a good idea to ride defensively to minimize hazards.

All in all, rides through Dorado can be very nice, and it is one of the preferred routes for San Juan cyclists. I'm sure that if you come to the Saturday ride at 7am, you will enjoy the scenery, as well as the challenging -for me at least- pace. Be sure to let Unai and me know if you come.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Guys:

I have been riding in various places in PR for a couple of years. Although I'm sure its not the safest place on earth to ride, I have never had any accidents to regret. Your best bet is to ride on weekend mornings since there are few cars on the road (I'd say before 10am) and try to ride in groups whenever you can, as Unai said. It is always a good idea to ride defensively to minimize hazards.

All in all, rides through Dorado can be very nice, and it is one of the preferred routes for San Juan cyclists. I'm sure that if you come to the Saturday ride at 7am, you will enjoy the scenery, as well as the challenging -for me at least- pace. Be sure to let Unai and me know if you come.
    I couldn't agree more. I get to PR on business 5-6/yr. I ride everytime I visit. Sometimes I ride by myself and other times I ride with friends.. Other than metro San Juan and parts of Ponce, I wouldn't hesitate to ride anywhere on the island...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

Cicloturista

Sunday Am

Sunday is the safe day before 11:00 am.Dorado is good for riding,but best with groups.Stay away of Metro Area.
    Attached Images Attached Images