View Poll Results: What's your preference ?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Solo

41 56.94%
  • Regular Riding Partner (2/3 times a week)

10 13.89%
  • Part Time Riding Partner (Once a week)

15 20.83%
  • Other

6 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammer

Riding Partner or Not ?

Today I went out to go visit my old riding partner who was always a blast to ride with. Can't believe it's been 7 years, man time flies by so quick. Most of my 41 years of riding have been as a solo rider, so what's your preference ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJ3Sk-dZHQ

1. Solo
    2. Regular Riding Partner (2/3 times a week)
    3. Part Time Riding Partner (Once a week)
    4. Other

Proud luddite
    Totally solo for me. It's really the only time I have to be alone so I take that opportunity for solitude pretty seriously. It's therapeutic for me in a way. 🙂

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Solo for me as well. No music either. Just me and my thoughts.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Safety in numbers.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Mostly solo during the week except for some hour of power rides on Tuesday and Thursday. Then either group rides, team rides or races on the week ends.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Its a mix for me. Riding in a pace line is a lot of fun with the right group. On the other hand I like getting lost on new roads without really knowing where I'm going once and a while. Which I'm not going to drag someone else along with me in that case.

Backcountry mountain biking is best done with a riding partner at all times. You can end up dead pretty easy if you get injured alone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Almost all solo...with music. I started getting up at 430am to get a 22 mile ride in before work...my God it's such a gr8 way to start the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    pretty much always riding with my wife. Been two months since I rode without her - rode with a fast bunch of guys and gals instead that day

when I was young and single, I;d ride abotu half and half. Half with a buddy racer, ocne a week with club and half alone
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 07-10-2017 at 10:10 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I like riding with other people, and alone, but I've never had a "riding partner" as in riding with the same one other person on a regular basis. I don't think that would work out very well on long hilly rides

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I like riding with other people, and alone, but I've never had a "riding partner" as in riding with the same one other person on a regular basis. I don't think that would work out very well on long hilly rides
    The good thing about Chris is we were close in our abilities. We both enjoyed playing on hills so it would become a slugfest on some of our hilly rides which made it a lot of fun, that's probably what I miss most.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I like somebody to talk to, but the only guy my speed moved away 26 years ago. The wheelman club goes 14-16 mph, and starts from a school 1/3 the way out my route. I don't drive anymore. I go about 9 and from 10 to 35 miles. The newby group at the bike shop around the corner goes about 6 and only about 10 miles.
    I have to carry all my own repair equipment & supplies, there is no cell phone service out past mile 13 except 911, and the bike wouldn't fit in the wife's car anyway. I've walked back 15 miles to the last bus stop when I blew the spare tube instantly. Now I carry two. Clip shoes anybody? Not in my plan.
    Last edited by indianajo; 07-08-2017 at 06:32 AM.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Safety in numbers.
    Riding solo is safest.

Riding with others gets more dangerous as you add riders.
    use a torque wrench

Darling of The Lounge
    Before moving away a few years ago, I had the same steady riding partner for about 5 years. He was a Masters class rider, and would easily clean my clock on on the road. The only time I would have any advantage is when he was recovering from an illness or injury. We had similar interests in cars and politics aiding to make the conversation while pedaling the miles away interesting. We joked that we spent more time on the weekends together and with our spouses. As we parted ways at the end of the ride, we would plan the next one. This helped keep me focused, motivated and looking forward to more time in the saddle.

I haven't ridden in well over a year now and look back on those days as some of my best on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Before moving away a few years ago, I had the same steady riding partner for about 5 years. He was a Masters class rider, and would easily clean my clock on on the road. The only time I would have any advantage is when he was recovering from an illness or injury. We had similar interests in cars and politics aiding to make the conversation while pedaling the miles away interesting. We joked that we spent more time on the weekends together and with our spouses. As we parted ways at the end of the ride, we would plan the next one. This helped keep me focused, motivated and looking forward to more time in the saddle.

I haven't ridden in well over a year now and look back on those days as some of my best on the bike.
    That's really cool. I ride solo all the time and it would be nice to find a riding partner like that to ride with once or twice a week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    Solo for me as well. No music either. Just me and my thoughts.
    Me too. I find solo riding quite therapeutic and good way to de-stress.

I'll do the group ride at the LBS for training, but mostly solo riding is the way to go for me.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I had a couple of good riding partners when I was younger. Dave and Don were twins and we were quite well matched in riding ability. All three didn't always ride together, but the triumvirate meant that two of us would usually be able to get a ride in on any day. We usually took spring break trips together (4-6 day loaded tours) and the three of us took a three week trip from Georgia to Virginia and back before our senior year in college.

Don got married the first year after graduation and so wasn't able to take any more tours with us. Dave and I rode from Seattle to Savannah in '85 and from Albuquerque to Denver in '88. He then got married and I moved to Olympia. I haven't had such a well matched riding partner since... but I still prefer to ride with one or two friends when possible. However, most of my riding is solo these days.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    For me, it's pretty much equally divided between solo rides, rides with a few good friends, and group rides. Each has its advantages and charms.

So, I guess, "other". (Or: "all".)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    When I ride alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    More and more and more solo. As a matter of fact I have become "that guy". The guy that shows up for the group ride but takes off early, or should I say takes off on time as the group waits for the late comers. I'm the guy that doesn't wait around at a rest stop while everyone scans their phones for those life changing messages they may have missed.

Maybe it's an age thing, at 56 I just want to enjoy my rides and to do that I like to ride by my agenda, not have my agenda dictated by others.
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Solo is just pretty much the way it works out, with the demands of the other parts of life dictating when I can get in a ride, thus making it difficult to schedule something with another rider. I used to do organized or group rides a few times a year, but realized several years ago that I was doing it too infrequently to be safe to be around any more. I understand the dynamics of group riding and know the rules, but the reflexes for solo riding in traffic too often kicked in and made me do something that wasn't good for riders around me.

Anyway, I'm kind of a curmudgeon, so I probably wasn't such good company. I've been riding for almost 45 years, and I never really had a regular riding partner.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    Solo works for me. My ride, my pace, depending on how I feel at the moment and it's quality quiet time on the bike. No pressure to extend or shorten the distance or speed as the ride, temperature or wind develops.

My rides with others are very enjoyable but they don't generally allow me to push the envelope when the opportunities come along or maybe decide to take a different route on impulse. There are pluses and minuses in all situations and have yet to turn down the chance to ride when it presents itself with a buddy or group. But I have to say I really do enjoy my solo time out on the road a lot.
    At my age, it's all uphill!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbikah View Post
    Solo works for me. My ride, my pace, depending on how I feel at the moment and it's quality quiet time on the bike. No pressure to extend or shorten the distance or speed as the ride, temperature or wind develops.
    Much the same for me. I like the time alone and find it rather meditative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I enjoy solo rides during the week, as I can stop when I want to, take photos, visit with people, go fast, go slow etc. For example, on today's ride, I stopped to photograph some wild morning glorys along the bayou. On down the road, I stopped and got some iPhone video of an ag-pilot executing some fine moves in the conduct of his job. On the way back home, I stopped at the rifle range and watched a competition among people shooting muzzle loaders. One of the shooters was a cyclist as well. We visited for a while about our mutual interests. You just can't have a ride like that in a group.

During the summer, our club has Monday evening road rides. I enjoy those rides for the conversation and also for the accelerated pace that our little group rides once in a while. You can't get that on a solo ride.

On Saturday mornings, I ride with a local non-club group. It's an eclectic bunch with a few runners and triathletes as well as some fairly new cyclists. It's a fun bunch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I try to ride 5 out of 7 days each week. Weather and work make it tough some weeks.

I've got a riding buddy. We've known each other for 25 years. Worked together for about 15 years. He lives 2 miles south of me. We try to ride together about twice a week. We do some charity rides together as well.

He changed jobs this spring, making it more difficult so we are down to 1 or 2 rides per week, together. Normally about 90 minutes.

He is ten years older, 45 or 50 pounds lighter, 5 inches shorter, and a wee bit faster than me. But there are days when I'm feeling really strong and make him work. But, generally we ride at the same speed and tend to push each other a bit.

We ride together so much, along the same roads, know every bump in the road. We pick our routes based upon ind direction, amount of daylight, and how strong we feel.

It's fun to ride with him. But, I also ride a lot of miles alone. I like both aspects. It's nice to be able to ride alone, but also have and riding buddy that has similar performance. We ride for enjoyment and exercise, not for top speed. It's fun.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess my preference is "other"

Sometimes I like to ride solo.

Other times I like company and will ride with close friends.

Other times I like fast group rides and will join one of the many weekly hammer fests.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast