Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Riding under Powerlines

11K views 76 replies 25 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a gravel bike. One of my favorite gravel routes involves riding under a high voltage powerline. I keep getting pretty painful static electric shocks on the hands and the butt.

Any ideas if I could prevent the shocks from happening if I switched to a carbon frame, carbon handlebar, shifters and seat post?

Thanks

#3 ·
They must be running pretty high voltage on the wires.

Your present bike has rubber tires I assume, so changing the frame isn't going to affect the effect in the least, IMO.

If one of the lines breaks, you are toast. If your getting static charges, I would avoid that route, sorry.

You could put a grounding strap on your bike or butt and have it drag along the ground behind you to discharge the static charge. A simple metal fine wire or braided wire or copper strap would work.... but, you are grounding yourself, causing current to flow through your body. That is not good, it is very sensitive to low amperages.

The elec charges are jumping through the air about 20-40 feet I assume, so changing the material for 3' (your frame) should be the least of your concerns.

& I'm a elect eng, so take heed.

#30 ·
Frankly, static is the least of your worries. RF radiation is the real hazard.
This.

I've ridden under power lines, but never under any carrying enough current to result in shocks. That would be a nope for me.

#5 ·
I would likely avoid that route myself. But I know that is not always easy to do given a priority for a certain type of ride that day.

Touch metal as you approach (brake lever, stem, etc), and that should stop the build up of charge on your body.

One specific way this can happen is by riding a bicycle underneath a high-voltage power line. If you are in electrical contact with a metal part of the bicycle all the times, then no charge can build up between you and the bicycle, and you should not experience any microshocks. But if you are electrically isolated from the bicycle - e.g. you are holding rubber handlebar grips, or are wearing insulating gloves - then a charge can build up. This can then discharge as a microshock. The commonest place for this to happen is either on the fingers if they brush against the brake lever, or in the inside of the upper thigh, as it comes close to the top of the seat pillar just below the saddle or to the saddle rails once each pedal revolution.

These microshocks do not cause any harm to the body or have any lasting effects that we know of. But in the highest fields - that is, under spans of 400 kV power lines with the lowest clearance - they can be mildly painful, and they are certainly disconcerting because they are usually unexpected. (more on electric field levels under high-voltage power lines and on the sizes of the voltages and charges involved in microshocks)

They are, however, completely avoidable, by the very simple measure of keeping a finger touching the brake lever (or the bare handlebar inboard of the handlebar grips, or a metal bar end, or any other metal part of the bicycle) for as long as you are under the power line. You don't need to grip it tightly, as long as there is a firm contact (if you only lightly brush your finger against the brake lever, you run the risk of getting microshocks at that point, which is the very thing you are trying to avoid).
Microshocks from bicycles | EMFs.info

#7 ·
Carbon fiber is a good conductor. The epoxy around it, not so much.

High tension power lines can carry up to 700,000V. The safe air gap at that voltage to prevent arcing is about 17 feet. The minuscule amount of carbon, aluminum, or rubber tires on your bike is irrelevant. It'll pass through it all. Just like cars can get struck by lightning.

While grounding yourself may work, dragging a copper strap on the ground probably isn't too safe.

#8 ·
While grounding yourself may work, dragging a copper strap on the ground probably isn't too safe.
Grounding your body to the ground will cause the current to pass through your body unless you can enclose yourself in an effective faraday cage. Not good. Depending on the ground you are riding over, there's no guarantee dragging a copper strap on the ground is going to serve as a sufficient ground, which would then add to your problems.

Simply put, if it were me and I was getting static zaps from the high voltage power lines, I would ride elsewhere.

#10 ·
There's one particular road in a well populated suburban area near my home that passes under some power-lines, and on warmer summer days (presumably more air-conditioning causing higher voltage thru lines) I will often feel a bit of tingling light shocks on my hands coming from my shifters (i.e. riding on the hoods) when riding underneath these power-lines. Never thought it was hazardous though.

#15 ·
But the replies are illuminating.

(TBH, when I read the OP, I thought dude was trolling; I had no idea that EMF microshocks were even a thing).

#14 ·
Thanks for the advice. The shocks are pretty painful. It looks like I had better avoid this route. Quite sad as it is a beautiful trail on a **** along a river.

#17 ·
My HS physics teacher used to tell us that while tesla coils can be fun to play with, a van de graaff generator will kill you. Some electricity is deadly, some less so, some not at all.

If you don't let the charge build up, you won't feel any shocks. If it were just a ride, I would avoid it. If it were a favorite ride, I would try touching metal while going under the lines before I made my final call to avoid that ride forevermore.

#21 ·
I keep getting pretty painful static electric shocks on the hands and the butt.
I'm curious about how electricity is passing through your bike shorts and saddle cover to create a shock. I'd think that would be a well insulated interface. Gloves on a bar with rubber bar ends or taped bars seem like another fairly well insulated interface.

Is any of your skin touching any metal on the bike? Or even close to metal with a small air gap between skin and metal?

#24 ·
Question:

Is any of this stuff related to where, on when I do my solo rides during the week, that a two certain sections of neighborhood I pass by my Cateye (basic) wireless goes completely out for about 200-300 meters and then restarts back up again. I've looked at everything, and can't figure it out. No extra powerlines other than what's normal is there....no shortwave radios on the houses, or anything I can see.
It is like someone in one of the houses of that 300m section is running some sort of nuclear-powered monk-beer-making machine?

#38 ·
I was at the local bike shop and spoke with the shop manager yesterday. He and his wife both ride the same trail. He says he does not get the shocks, However, his wife gets them to the point that she refuse the ride that route any more. I could not spend much time at the shop to dig further into this. Perhaps the bike / component / material set up could have an impact on the level of shock.

#39 ·
Its probably the fiber in you kit that is causing the problem - the high wicking fibers in sports garments can cause odd electrical issues - this is why Garmin start putting the conductive material on the outside of HR straps.

Easiest way to test this next time you start getting shocks is to remove your kit completely and try riding around for an hour or so and see if it stops. Shoes won't cause a problem so you can keep them and your helmet on.

Reactions: SPlKE
#45 ·
Remind me not to go anywhere near that trail when you try this. :rolleyes:

#50 ·
can someone please better explain what these shocks are. I've read of other instances of shocks while riding under power lines too but in my understanding if there's a switching magnetic field (the power lines doing 60hz), and you have a conductor passing through it (the bike), wouldn't it be a very low voltage that was generated, so low that it wouldn't even produce a noticeable shock between the rider and bike? a typical static shock is many many volts but I thought a voltage built in this way would be much lower in voltage

Cyclist has electric shock every time she ride under power-line | Daily Mail Online

#59 ·
can someone please better explain what these shocks are. I've read of other instances of shocks while riding under power lines too but in my understanding if there's a switching magnetic field (the power lines doing 60hz), and you have a conductor passing through it (the bike), wouldn't it be a very low voltage that was generated, so low that it wouldn't even produce a noticeable shock between the rider and bike? a typical static shock is many many volts but I thought a voltage built in this way would be much lower in voltage

Cyclist has electric shock every time she ride under power-line | Daily Mail Online
Not widely discussed but the principle reason that steel bikes have been mostly discontinued is because of proliferation of power lines. If riding in a thunderstorm under a power line on a steel bike, in particular if wearing Tommy Copper articles of clothing, the probability of being hit by lightening goes up by a factor of 10. Most bike companies don't want to take on this level of liability.

#51 ·
The wires are on towers, the towers are high, there is a static charge usually between the ground and air (remember lightning?) The towers and wires develop a static charge as the wires are not grounded, and the towers usually are, but left out in the weather for years without inspection may be in some disrepair.

#53 ·
The wires are on towers, the towers are high, there is a static charge usually between the ground and air (remember lightning?) The towers and wires develop a static charge as the wires are not grounded, and the towers usually are, but left out in the weather for years without inspection may be in some disrepair.
So you're saying that after some time, the ground on the towers might be intermittent? Aren't they all metal?

#52 ·
While I've never ridden under transmission lines like that, I have skied under similar transmission lines. I did not feel anything, but would always hear a constant or pulsing zapping sound.

I do remember being outside a transmission substation where if I touched my car, I would feel a tingling, buzzing sensation in my hand.

#75 ·
While I've never ridden under transmission lines like that, I have skied under similar transmission lines. I did not feel anything, but would always hear a constant or pulsing zapping sound.

I do remember being outside a transmission substation where if I touched my car, I would feel a tingling, buzzing sensation in my hand.
In bold above, I wondered where you got your brain damage...lol.

#54 ·
Usually the metal tower is set into concrete bases. Concrete conductivity is humidity dependent IMO, and I would spec a grounding strap to a ground rod. That is the part that would be subject to unknown condition over time. But for sure the wires are not grounded, and they extend for miles and miles above the ground. A lightning strike or air charge could be transported miles along the lines.

#55 ·
Usually the metal tower is set into concrete bases. Concrete conductivity is humidity dependent IMO, and I would spec a grounding strap to a ground rod. That is the part that would be subject to unknown condition over time. But for sure the wires are not grounded, and they extend for miles and miles above the ground. A lightning strike or air charge could be transported miles along the lines.
Oh OK, I hadn't thought of that. Though I am thinking a rod or rebar in each concrete block could solve this, no?

#57 · (Edited)
if the power lines had a pathway for the electricity to flow and "grounded" then they would short to the ground and especially with high power lines being extremely high voltage it need not be a very conductive pathway for the current to travel but if it did make a pathway then boom and you cant have a little short and it's all or nothing. I don't think that would explain why people would get shocks from powerlines in my mind and more so what makes sense is the electromagnetic field produced by the powerlines is having a conductor traveling through it, the bike, and developing a voltage in the bike. but maybe i'm way off. but I think the only power coming off the power lines must be just a field and not a short of some sort...or boom.

#66 ·
If lightning stikes, it will not matter whether you bike is alum, CF, or peanut butter... you'll be fried. Lightning is caused when the potential voltage is enough to travel through air for hundreds of feet, it will not care too much about where it goes for 3 feet. And insulated tires are not going to stop it.

It is generally considered a good idea to retire to a bldg or vehicle if there is emminent danger of a lightning strike.

#70 ·
I am the OP. Here is a pic of the exact spot under the power lines. The "Do Not Enter" signs are placed not because of the power lines. There is currently gravel/silt removal work done on the canal with dump trucks running along the **** path.

Attachments

#71 ·
I don't know if it's just the pic, but those lines look pretty low for transmission lines.

#72 ·
I am the OP with another update.

I switched bikes. I was getting zapped using the cross bike with the aluminium frame. Just switched to a titanium gravel bike. No zaps on the butt!!!

#74 ·
Pain is........

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.