Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Road Bicycling - The Biggest Name Dropping Sport

Is it just me but is bicycling the biggest name dropping sport there is? Every time I talk to someone its always about the components you are using, the helmet you have, the wheelset your using etc etc. Colnago. Mavic. Cervelo. Giro. Fulcrum. FSA. DuraAce. Zipp.

I am never asked about my fitness. I am never asked how far I ride. I am never asked how long youve been riding. Using the word "never" may be a bit extreme but i think you catch my drift. It's all about the equipment and not about you.

Compare it to basketball. You dont get comments like, "Hey, that's a nice Spalding basketball you got there!"

Dont get me wrong. I myself have turned into a name dropper too. It just comes with the evolution of being involved with bicycling as a sport.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    No. I think it comes more with equipment intensive sports. It was the same with alpine ski racing and then windsurfing for me. Probably worse.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Nah, i here aloy of "my this" and "my that". Those people are morons.

Trying to return....
    Jun 2005
    If you talk to somebody about the components they are using, do you expect them to respond with how far they have ridden.

Being on a team and most of my riding is team related or with a group I always ride with outside the team, we seldom talk about components. We do talk about what racing goals are and training we are doing.

Maybe it's who you're riding with? Perhaps you're with a group who's only goal is to one up each other on name brand components?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_from_SA
    If you talk to somebody about the components they are using, do you expect them to respond with how far they have ridden.

Being on a team and most of my riding is team related or with a group I always ride with outside the team, we seldom talk about components. We do talk about what racing goals are and training we are doing.

Maybe it's who you're riding with? Perhaps you're with a group who's only goal is to one up each other on name brand components?
    It's the same when i go to any high end bicycle store too! You already know your team so no need to ask about components. I am talking about when you meet someone new

Trying to return....
    Jun 2005
    You go to any store and they're going to try to sell you the most expensive name brand items in the store if you can - you expect a bicycle store to be different?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_from_SA
    You go to any store and they're going to try to sell you the most expensive name brand items in the store if you can - you expect a bicycle store to be different?
    I was referring to the people you meet in the bicycle store. Like other customers.

waterproof*
    I think it's related to newbies, who haven't yet learned that equipment doesn't really make all that much difference. So they are feeling their way around, trying to figure out how to get the right stuff... just my .02
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Slightly Opinionated
    Some of us like talking about going our for a nice ride on our Look 585s, and being so pleased that our full SRAM Red drivetrain performed so well. But oh, those DT Swiss Mon Chasseral wheels...they're a little bit heavy, even though I put those lightweight Vittoria Corsas on them yesterday. I felt like I was burning out on that climb and I could have used some Sportlegs to stop the cramping. Hmm, I wonder if it has anything to do with my Easton EC90 seatpost and Selle Italia carbon team saddle being too high? Yeah, that might be it! When I switched to my Mavic Zxelliums and Look Keo Max pedals, I didn't adjust those! Oh well, I can do that when I put new Swiss Stop pads in my Ciamiallo Zero Gravity brakes and re-wrap my FSA K-Force carbon bar with Fizik Dual tape before I ride today. That's the ticket! Then I can smear some DZNuts on my Assos F.I.13 S5 shorts and throw on my Castelli jersey, roll up my Giordana FormaRed-Carbon jacket and stuff that in the back pocket with some Gu energy gels and some Cliff Shot Blocks. Strap on my Lazer Helium Warrior helmet, put on a comfy set of Pearl Izumi gloves, take a drink from my Camelbak Podium Chill bottle, start my Garmin Edge 705 and check that my Cycleops Powertap Pro+ is working properly, and I'm outta here!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

cjd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    lotta (equipment) name dropping on the golf course

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Some of us like talking about going our for a nice ride on our Look 585s, and being so pleased that our full SRAM Red drivetrain performed so well. But oh, those DT Swiss Mon Chasseral wheels...they're a little bit heavy, even though I put those lightweight Vittoria Corsas on them yesterday. I felt like I was burning out on that climb and I could have used some Sportlegs to stop the cramping. Hmm, I wonder if it has anything to do with my Easton EC90 seatpost and Selle Italia carbon team saddle being too high? Yeah, that might be it! When I switched to my Mavic Zxelliums and Look Keo Max pedals, I didn't adjust those! Oh well, I can do that when I put new Swiss Stop pads in my Ciamiallo Zero Gravity brakes and re-wrap my FSA K-Force carbon bar with Fizik Dual tape before I ride today. That's the ticket! Then I can smear some DZNuts on my Assos F.I.13 S5 shorts and throw on my Castelli jersey, roll up my Giordana FormaRed-Carbon jacket and stuff that in the back pocket with some Gu energy gels and some Cliff Shot Blocks. Strap on my Lazer Helium Warrior helmet, put on a comfy set of Pearl Izumi gloves, take a drink from my Camelbak Podium Chill bottle, start my Garmin Edge 705 and check that my Cycleops Powertap Pro+ is working properly, and I'm outta here!
    exactly! so funny but so so true. of course it's a bit exaggerated. in one thought process 20 names were dropped!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd
    lotta (equipment) name dropping on the golf course
    true! golf is like that too! but not as much as bicycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I found the opposite, I've hung out in these forums ( where equipment is discussed alot) bought my new carbon bike, upgraded a few things, mostly ride by myself, then showed up on a local group ride, expecting everyone to be drooling over my bike and theirs, but no one even talked about the bikes or parts on them! I was disaapointed. In fact a couple of the guys had old rust buckets that I would eb embarassed to ride....oh well, at least in my mind, my bike is cool!!
    Gary Fisher Cronus(CF)
    Jamis Expert MTB

S&W & Ruger LCR in .38 Special
    CZ 75BD & 2075 RAMI in 9mm
    Ruger 10/22 rifle
    Democrat!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleracer22
    true! golf is like that too! but not as much as bicycling.

Unless you're a Cat1 or can keep a drive in the middle of the fairway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I tend to agree with this that cycling has become far too focused on equipment only from the perspective that it's a bad time in the economy to go broke appearing rich.

The best cure for gearitis is to train hard. The equipment only becomes an issue at that point when it's not working, but it doesn't become the riders focus. Riders like this tend to stick with the traditional heavy stuff that is built to last as no one that actually rides out on the roads and not in their living room watching television likes having $hit breakdown 60 miles from home.

Slightly Opinionated
    exactly! so funny but so so true. of course it's a bit exaggerated. in one thought process 20 names were dropped!
    I tried to think of everything on my bike or in my closet. I think I missed a couple things, but it was off the cuff, and I was waiting for my quinoa to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Every time I talk to someone its always about the components you are using.

I am never asked about my fitness. I am never asked how far I ride. I am never asked how long I've been riding.
    Cuz no one cares about you. Seriously, how is your fitness relevant to me? If you like your wheels and I'm in the market, I'm curious what you think of them. Don't take it personally. Do you really care how fit I am or how far I ride? Are you maybe more curious what that no sticker frame I'm on is?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Cuz no one cares about you. Seriously, how is your fitness relevant to me? If you like your wheels and I'm in the market, I'm curious what you think of them. Don't take it personally. Do you really care how fit I am or how far I ride? Are you maybe more curious what that no sticker frame I'm on is?
    If you're on a no-sticker frame, I don't care what the hell it is. I'll just assume it's some piece of crap direct from China.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Lexicon Devil
    People talk about equipment because it's a good icebreaker.

Generally.

Once you get to know someone you'll probably actually have a real conversation with them, well, unless they suck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Honestly, I always like to ask where they ride. Is it hilly? How many miles? Conversation goes like this, "I like to do 30 mile runs and I currently ride here. You think I can handle your route? Is there alot of traffic there? When's the best time to ride there?"

I guess i eventually name drop but to be fair it's about 50% of the time.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737
    No. I think it comes more with equipment intensive sports. It was the same with alpine ski racing and then windsurfing for me. Probably worse.
    Exactly!
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I get more comments about the skull and crossed bones decals I have on the frame the hubs..

Cool... where'd ya get those?

uh... I have a vinyl cutting machine at work, and was playing around with it when I first got it, and used this to "train" myself how to use the software...

Cool...can you make some for me

uh... sure, but I'll probably never see you again, so how would I get them to you?

oh, uh, good point. They're cool anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    I get more comments about the skull and crossed bones decals I have on the frame the hubs..

Cool... where'd ya get those?

uh... I have a vinyl cutting machine at work, and was playing around with it when I first got it, and used this to "train" myself how to use the software...

Cool...can you make some for me

uh... sure, but I'll probably never see you again, so how would I get them to you?

oh, uh, good point. They're cool anyway....
    Hey, can you make some of those stickers for me?

Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    You sure like to mix up your kit. The guys at my LBS say everything you own should say Bontrager on it.
    “You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.” – Albert Einstein

banned
    In the bike shops we always used to just call 'em "Equipment Freaks"- people would come in to do nothing but constantly talk about parts and frames-

I put up a thread here the other day- it disappeared somehow-
    "They shoulda stopped at Campy Super Record"
    - because that was somehow the pinnacle of simplicity and ease and STANDARDIZATION-

what gets the highest prices on ebay?- Campy Record and Super Record- the stuff from the late '60's into the early '80's. I had a complete set of Campy tools and you could tear a bike apart and put it back together in no time- and everybody that was racing then used it- frames were different- but unless funds were a real problem- EVERYONE rode Campy Record.

After Super Record- the stuff just got too exotic and diversify too much- Too expensive, too many special tools.

they really should make those lines again- it would sell like crazy to a whole lot of people-if not racers of today. Same with the shimano and Suntour knockoffs- Put that stuff out in colors and at reasonable prices- they couldn't make it fast enough-

if they can pump out aluminum soda cans at next to no cost- why not decent inexpensive bike components?.

I smell a rat- and it smells like OIL somehow....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast