RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Which Road Bike Shoes????

Ok, looking for some opinions. My wife and I want to upgrade our shoes. We currently have Pearl Izumi's. Anyone have any suggestions. We have looked at LG, Shimano, and several others, right now we are leaning toward the LG. We are looking to spend around $200.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    J.Shoot

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    Maybe try on a few in that price range and buy the ones that feel the best? Just a thought.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Slightly off line from your post, but I prefer lightweight mountain bike shoes and pedals, so I can comfortably walk around when off the bike on a ride. I use Eggbeater Candy 1 pedals and Specialized S works shoes. According to my scale, the eggbeater Candy 1s are 262 grams (pedals and clips) and that is 10 grams lighter than my carbon fiber look keo road bike pedals & clips. My lightweight mtb shoes are 10 grams heavier than my road shoes, so overall the weight is exactly the same. I just thought I would bring this up since you are about to buy some new ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JShoot View Post
    Ok, looking for some opinions. My wife and I want to upgrade our shoes. We currently have Pearl Izumi's. Anyone have any suggestions. We have looked at LG, Shimano, and several others, right now we are leaning toward the LG. We are looking to spend around $200.
    Thanks,
    J.Shoot
    What about your current shoes is causing you to want to upgrade? Why are you leaning towards LG?

It's hard to generalize to a "brand" since they all have such a wide range of offerings. Sort of like saying "I'm leaning towards a GM car..." which could mean anything from a $90k sport-tuned Cadillac to a $15k Chevy econobox.

Fit trumps everything. I really like Specialized road shoes, mostly because they fit me quite well. Started off with a relatively inexpensive pair two years ago and just recently went with high-end S-Works model.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    What about your current shoes is causing you to want to upgrade? Why are you leaning towards LG?

It's hard to generalize to a "brand" since they all have such a wide range of offerings. Sort of like saying "I'm leaning towards a GM car..." which could mean anything from a $90k sport-tuned Cadillac to a $15k Chevy econobox.

Fit trumps everything. I really like Specialized road shoes, mostly because they fit me quite well. Started off with a relatively inexpensive pair two years ago and just recently went with high-end S-Works model.
    The OP gave very little info... which leads to me to believe they tried on various shoes at the LBS, which is why they are leaning to LG
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I really like my S-Works shoes. They are the only ones that feel right to me. They cost more than $200 but Specialized has some lower cost models. Sidi makes nice shoes but they don't fit me comfortably but my wife likes hers. Comfort and pedaling efficiency are important. Unfortunately like most footwear there is trial and error involved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Second the lightweight MTB shoes. It's nice being able to walk like a normal person.

I've still got a pair of "Road shoes", but I pretty much only use them on my trainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I'm looking at taking the plunge on a pair of Bont shoes, or Giros.

BONT :: Cycling shoes, Custom made, Aerodynamic light weight cycling shoes
    Cycling Shoes, Bike Shoes, Biking Shoes, Mens Cycling Shoes - Giro

Anybody had any experience with either? Apparently Bont's time trial shes are UCI illegal...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy748 View Post
    I'm looking at taking the plunge on a pair of Bont shoes, or Giros.

BONT :: Cycling shoes, Custom made, Aerodynamic light weight cycling shoes
    Cycling Shoes, Bike Shoes, Biking Shoes, Mens Cycling Shoes - Giro

Anybody had any experience with either? Apparently Bont's time trial shes are UCI illegal...
    Bonts have a really high arch otherwise they fit somewhere between Shimano and Sidi. Toe box is plenty wide, heel cup is comfy. But the high arch takes some getting used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    A few years ago, I bought the higher end Shimano road shoes. They sell a wide and regular size -- I have wide feet. They fit great -- I was really pleased with how stiff the carbon soles were. About a week later, I bought a pair of their carbon soled mountian bike shoes. I use them for commuting and they're great as well.

No experience with LG. I do think that carbon soles make a noticable difference both in stiffness and weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Sidi if you want the best!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ride Sidi on both road and trail bikes. Cant speak for other brands because these fit great and last. My Dominator 5 MTB shoes are 7 years old and Genius 5.5 road are about 4. The soles started to flex on the previous Genius 5 after 5 years so I upgraded to the 5.5.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I would say that trying Sidi and Specialized would be really good starting points if you don't already have some shoe preferences. From many of the people I have talked to it seems one of those almost always works out well/feels pretty good.

The Sidi's if you have a bit more narrow foot/like the slightly more snug feel
    The Spec if your foot is a bit more "volume" or you like a bit of the wiggle room

The nice thing is that both of these brands should be easy enough to find at a local shop to try on

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Just a couple of suggestions:
    1. Shop for shoes late in the day when your feet are at their largest.
    2. If you can afford it buy shoes with carbon fiber soles. They make a HUGE difference in comfort. Not carbon composite, carbon fiber.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    One thing I would mention to you is the fit. My LBS said that you should buy your shoes snug so they don't pull out when hammering out something intense. For me unfortunately, after an hour or so in the saddle my feet swell up and cramp so I had to buy another pair because the snug fitting shoes were a nightmare. I went for the Specialized S Works because of the BOA lacing system that allows me to loosen the fit on the fly. I have never been happier, incredible shoes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Thanks,

Thanks for all the feedback. We have been to several LBS and tried on several brands. Its just hard to make a decision without riding on them. That's why I asked the question. I know some shoes hold up better than others and didn't want to drop $400 or $500 on 2 pair of shoes to realize later they weren't exactly what we wanted.

I like to research products before I buy, and someone that has personal experience usually has a good opinion.

Anyway, thanks to everyone that responded.

J.Shoot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JShoot View Post

Thanks,
    J.Shoot
    Try many on get what feels best for you