RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

road bike shoes suggestions?

First timer here, just picked up my first road bike last week. I just got my ultegra carbon pedals in, now the last piece to complete the kit are shoes. I can't afford to spend 500 on a pair of sidi's but would like something of quality since I know that main points of contact with the bike are quite important.

I came across the Mavic Huez that are on sale at cc for 135, thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sidi's start under $200. That's what I paid for mine, and I like them.

Shoes are very individual, and fit and feel are more important than anything else. If you've got a shop or shops in the area that carry a variety of brands, there's no substitute for trying on a lot of pairs. I've bought cycling shoes by mail, but it's an unwieldy process, and when you miss on the size and have to pay return shipping, it's easy to cancel out the price difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    When you try on shoes, stand up and lift your heels slightly off the ground and hold that position for a minute or two. If the shoe is not going to fit well it will invariably start hurting somewhere and most likely each shoe will be different. Purchase the ones that don't hurt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Yes, you will need to go to a shop to try them on. I have a pair of Specialized road shoes and there excellent, but with that being said there are plenty of well made comfortable shoes out there.
    2003 Airborne Valkyrie Titanium with Campy Centaur
    2007 Everti Titanium Sram Red Boyd Aero Wheelset
    2012 Felt ZC Dura Ace DI2
    2013 Roubaix Pro SL4 Ultegra HED Ardenne's CL

2011 Sette Forza Elite with 5700 group for sale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Great advice. I know shoes can appear to be comfortable when initially trying them on, but can be entirely different once you walk around in them for extended periods.

Are there any brands/models that you guys recommend me trying? I would like to keep in the 150 max range. Thanks!

I think these are hot. Look like normal shoes, not so spacey like most ive seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    The Mavic's in white were/are on sale a Competitive Cyclist for $135. They are regularly $400.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I've bought cycling shoes by mail, but it's an unwieldy process, and when you miss on the size and have to pay return shipping, it's easy to cancel out the price difference.
    zappos is a decent place to shop. they carry sidi, giro and shimano at least. next day delivery for free and also free return shipping if it doesn't work out. i've bought shoes (non cycling) from here and it's always been super easy.

just like the OP, i just took delivery of some ultegra crabon pedals. i picked up a pair of sidi genius 5 for $200 from a LBS spring sale. i've been wearing sidi for the past 10 years and like the way they fit my foot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those look like "normal shoes" to you? Where do you live? In a circus? ;-)

Try on what the shop has. When you narrow it down to ones in your price range that feel good, there probably won't be a lot of choice of brands/models.

dekindy's try-on procedure is good advice. You don't "walk around" in these shoes (at least, that's not what matters) -- you push down with all the weight on your forefoot. So that's how you want to test them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    NAIXED,
    Do yourself a favor and stop at a shop and check out what they have, One of the reason's why I selected Specialized is there committment to quality and there customer service, this is not to say that other manufacturers are bad - but the bottom line is check them out have someone in the shop work with you and if there is an issue they will more then likely work with you. My Shoes where about $100 in 2008, but you can get a good pair of shoes for $125-$150 at a shop.
    2003 Airborne Valkyrie Titanium with Campy Centaur
    2007 Everti Titanium Sram Red Boyd Aero Wheelset
    2012 Felt ZC Dura Ace DI2
    2013 Roubaix Pro SL4 Ultegra HED Ardenne's CL

2011 Sette Forza Elite with 5700 group for sale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Like you, I just bought my first road bike and will be getting my Look pedals in the mail today (according to USPS tracking). I am planning on getting a pair of the Specialized Comp shoes. I like their BOA system where you can fine tune the fit. Planning on giving my the LBS where I bought my bike the business since you can only get Specialized shoes in store or on their site. These are $150 retail.

I hear the lower-end Sidi shoes (< $200) are not really worth it and are not as well made as their higher-end models.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
    I purchased my road bike last week and picked up these shoes yesterday with some 105 pedals. I tried on the Specialized Elite Road as well as some comparable Giro's but the Comp were the most comfortable for my feet.
    Were they able to give you any discount on the shoes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrwin View Post
    Like you, I just bought my first road bike and will be getting my Look pedals in the mail today (according to USPS tracking). I am planning on getting a pair of the Specialized Comp shoes. I like their BOA system where you can fine tune the fit. Planning on giving my the LBS where I bought my bike the business since you can only get Specialized shoes in store or on their site. These are $150 retail.

I hear the lower-end Sidi shoes (< $200) are not really worth it and are not as well made as their higher-end models.
    I purchased my road bike last week and picked up these shoes yesterday with some 105 pedals. I tried on the Specialized Elite Road as well as some comparable Giro's but the Comp were the most comfortable for my feet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I have a pair of Sidi road shoes I bought in 2000 and they're still doing fine. Back then, they'd have fit in your budget, but it looks like now they're only advertising high-end shoes. I guess the market rejected the ones they were having made in China.

When I had to replace my MTB shoes recently (also Sidis, same age, but I'm a lot harder on MTB stuff) I found that Sidi had priced their Italian-made shoes out of what I was willing to spend. I ended up getting a pair of Specialized MTB shoes and while they've sustained some damage, I don't imagine you'll be banging your road shoes into rocks much and I'm not confident that another design would have dealt with that any better.

I like the Sidi heel a lot. Specialized shoes feel a little more like a running shoe to me, but the sole is the main event, so whatever, and they don't feel any less good than the Sidis did when I'm actually on the bike. Specialized also incorporates some fit features directly into the shoe that I'd previously been doing with cant wedges and a fancy insole, so that's kind of cool. My longest ride to date in the new Specialized shoes was around six and a half hours, with my longest mostly-continuous ride coming in a little under six, and they were great for the whole time in both cases.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Were they able to give you any discount on the shoes?
    The lbs gives me a 10% discount on all accessories for a year since I purchased the bike from them, so about $15 off.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lblanch40 View Post
    The Mavic's in white were/are on sale a Competitive Cyclist for $135. They are regularly $400.
    That's a good deal on the Mavics if they have your size. If you like the neon yellow, all the better.

Most replies you'll get to a thread like this are going to be a plug for whatever shoe the person replying owns, because they're just the best. Take them with a grain of salt.

Shoes are kind of like helmets and saddles -- what works great for me might be horrific for you. And unfortunately, aside from judging from the initial fit, you need to ride them a while before you really know if you like them. AT the point you realize they don't work all that great for you, you won't be able to return them. That's why I think you're wise to not run off and buy a $400 pair of shoes. I take it that you're new to this.

What kind of foot do you have? Wide or narrow? Mine is slightly wide, so after a summer suffering in some Sidi Torturer (or whatever) II shoes, I realized that the cheap pair I bought initially wasn't so bad. So I looked for shoes that fit a wide foot. Carnac advertised that they had a wide toe box and I went through a few pairs of them. Later when carbon soles came out, I tried a pair of the higher end Shimano shoes -- offered in a wide size. I liked them so much, I ditched my Carnac mtn bike shoes and bought the Shimano versions. I really like the carbon soles. They are so much stiffer than shoes I had before. So look for that and keep in mind what kind of feet you have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    There is nothing wrong with Specialized shoes, you just need to be careful. They have a varus wedge built-in which is okay if you are most people. However that is only appropriate for one of my feet as I need a vargus wedge for the other. I prefer to use wedges between the outsole and cleat to exactly correct the feet based upon my biomechanist's recommendations. I am sure the BG is well researched but there are other experts that dislike having the wedge within the shoe.

Sidi is obviously a great brand and so is Shimano and both are available at many US retailers. Bontrager has entered the shoe market in a big way as well as Mavic, Pearl Izumi, and Giro are all available at my LBS. Lake is a good brand and so is Northwave.

I would stay away from DMT and Gaerne as they are not readily available, at least in my area.

I personally have had Shimano which I liked very well and a pair of Diadora's that I got on closeout at my LBS. Like the Diadora's so well that I found a pair online also on closeout even cheaper and even though they were not the color I prefered(black instead of the white with red accent pair that I prefer) purchased them so I would not be without comfortable, affordable high quality cycling shoes. You have to be careful as shoe brands change. A good example is Northwave which redid their entire line so that the lasts and sizing are different from previous model years. I was particular that I got the same model year Diadora's when I ordered the black pair online.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Trying on shoes is a good idea before you buy and Art's Cyclery is the best place to order online because they have free return shipping so you can easily send stuff back. They also have a cool tool on their site called Shoefitr that tells you what size to get and provides a 3D scan of the inside of the shoe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the link. Def will check them out.

Roadbike Rider
    . I like their BOA system where you can fine tune the fit.
    Having used BOA, Velcro and Sid style ratchets, I am not a big fan of the BOA. They are OK but you need to use them gently as they can get tangled. When I bought mine the ratchets were all tangled and it took me a few weeks before I figured out not to just spin the ratchet with no tension on it. Also I think the thin lace produces more of a pressure point than a fat strap.

With Specialized if you don't have a normal foot bed (ie. flat or high arches) you end up forking over more money for insoles, probably worth it but also worth knowing.
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainstay View Post
    Having used BOA, Velcro and Sid style ratchets, I am not a big fan of the BOA. They are OK but you need to use them gently as they can get tangled. When I bought mine the ratchets were all tangled and it took me a few weeks before I figured out not to just spin the ratchet with no tension on it. Also I think the thin lace produces more of a pressure point than a fat strap.

With Specialized if you don't have a normal foot bed (ie. flat or high arches) you end up forking over more money for insoles, probably worth it but also worth knowing.
    I feel that the BOA system gives you micro-adjusting for the entire feet where as the other systems in the pricepoint only offer velcro adjustments for the top portion of the feet. Granted my opinion is only based on limited experience when trying the shoes on at the store, but I am planning on going in to get a pair this weekend.