Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    I can't imagine taking my hands off the bars while leading a pack down a twisting descent at 40mph and decelerating hard for a hairpin. Nor would I be happy to see the rider leading do that. In mottled light with chuck holes the leaders points out obstacles by bunny hopping them. It behooves all of those following to be on high alert and ready to launch.
    30+ and my hands are not leaving the bars, and yelling won't do anything given the wind noise and speeds, as well as greater distances between riders.

If you try to key off the rider ahead of you on a descent, the further back in line you are the more likely you WILL end up going wide and off the road. Ride the road, don't follow a rider. Following riders is going to result in a painful game of "crack the whip".

If you key off the rider in front of you in a paceline, that usually won't lead to problems. You should not do it, you should be looking ahead, but people do and it's fine 99% of the time (for a group of good riders).
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    30+ and my hands are not leaving the bars, and yelling won't do anything given the wind noise and speeds, as well as greater distances between riders.

If you try to key off the rider ahead of you on a descent, the further back in line you are the more likely you WILL end up going wide and off the road. Ride the road, don't follow a rider. Following riders is going to result in a painful game of "crack the whip".

If you key off the rider in front of you in a paceline, that usually won't lead to problems. You should not do it, you should be looking ahead, but people do and it's fine 99% of the time (for a group of good riders).
    Yep, a general rule for car drivers, too: look as far down the road as possible, so you can adjust speed and line way before the curve, or pothole, or slower moving vehicle, and have plenty of time to make your move. In a group, that means focusing on the whole group in front, not just the rider you're drafting.

So every man for himself doesn't mean individual riders should interrupt the flow, or when in the lead, make sudden moves that the riders behind will instinctively follow, whether they're scanning far down the road or not. In crowded rush hour traffic, cars that try to go with the flow, such as it is, "calm" the flow, reducing the accordion effect. What one learns riding in a peloton carries over quite nicely driving a car, too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123