RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

road machine or rock and roll?

I am undecided between these two trainers. Who has the rock and roll? I cant tell if the side to side motion will be a better workout? I will put miles on it, do intervals and will do some out of the saddle sprints. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
    3 road bikes, 2 MTB, 1 CX and 1 Fatbike....for now

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn12 View Post
    I am undecided between these two trainers. Who has the rock and roll? I cant tell if the side to side motion will be a better workout? I will put miles on it, do intervals and will do some out of the saddle sprints. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
    I love the rock n' roll as much as it's possible to love any trainer. The motion isn't all that pronounced, but it makes riding a trainer significantly more comfortable on the butt.

It also positions the rear quite close to the ground - good for a level ride, but something to deal with if you have thick carpets. Not a big deal, but something.

If there's a negative, it's that it's big. Those arms go a good ways out to the side. Heavy bugger, too, especially with the extra flywheel.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

flinty-eyed moderator
    I have used both. If you aren't moving the trainer, the rock and roll is better IMHO. If you are taking it to races and trainer sessions then I prefer the much lighter road machine.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Exactly as above, the movement side to side is just enough to minimize numbness
    to the extent that it is no longer an issue even after 2+ hour rides.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The only issue I had with the rock & roll was it took some time to get it to feel level where the lean felt the same on both sides.
    The side to side motion isn't all it's cracked up to be with regard to simulating standing road feel but it's okay and the real bonus of it, as said, is it's much easier on the butt as compared to no movement.
    Also agree it would not be good to take to races or for that matter move around much at all.
    Overall I think it's great and a good choice as long as it's bought to more or less stay in one place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thank you - rock and roll it is !
    3 road bikes, 2 MTB, 1 CX and 1 Fatbike....for now

Dr. Buzz Killington
    I got the Rock N' Roll new on Ebay for $315, so I consider it a really good value for the money. So far it's been a lot of fun versus fixed trainers. I definitely would recommend buying the additional 12-lb flywheel for a more realistic ride, and I would also give the caveat that heavy riders may not want it for fear of scraping their rear wheels on the ground.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If you put a vinyl or rubber pad under the trainer rubbing on the ground is not an issue. Kurt kinetic sells a pad. My experience is as advertised. Since it is not so rigid, it is fairly comfortable.