Thread: Road Rash help

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Road Rash help

Just recently bailed on a tight corner at 30 mph, got some nasty road rash.. how do you guys normally treat it / help it heal fast(er) without scarring?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Soak in a tub, disinfectant on the wounds, air dry, cortisone creme (once it's begun to heal not on an open wound -read the instructions). Scars are a fact of life, they have some films to help with that these days (keeps the area moist - this helps with the healing).
    Last edited by mikerp; 04-09-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Go Blue
    There are lots of threads here on road rash. If you put in terms like "road rash" or "hydrocolloid" or "tegaderm" you will find them. Here is a recent one. Learn me about wound care I highly recommend hydrocolloid bandages. Back in 2011 when I had a crash, I think that I singlehandedly boosted the stock price of Johnson & Johnson by my buying so many packages of them.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

is riding in MOPP4
    Quote Originally Posted by kenken662 View Post
    Just recently bailed on a tight corner at 30 mph, got some nasty road rash.. how do you guys normally treat it / help it heal fast(er) without scarring?
    I don't recommend the use of cortisone on open wounds. They inhibit the inflammatory response, which is required for proper healing.

Noob

Road Rash help

Wash with antibacterial soap every day. Coat with Neosporin morning and night. Leave the wound open (without bandages) as much as you can while your home and at night. Wrap it up tight while riding and outdoors.

Hope that helps. Mostly my experience from football turf rash. Still worked the one time I lost traction on the road bike and hit the ground.

fu
    I never treat road rash other than cleaning and disinfecting it. No scars so far that I've noticed but then again, I don't look at my behind all that much. I have some "road rash" scars on the legs (mostly the knees) because, believe it or not, I was a kid once.
    HTFU! (it had to be said)
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    There are lots of threads here on road rash. If you put in terms like "road rash" or "hydrocolloid" or "tegaderm" you will find them. Here is a recent one. Learn me about wound care I highly recommend hydrocolloid bandages. Back in 2011 when I had a crash, I think that I singlehandedly boosted the stock price of Johnson & Johnson by my buying so many packages of them.
    Yes. Hydrocolloid dressings. Fastest healing, least scarring, least mess (they stay on several days, no changing gloppy bandages multiple times a day. Unquestionably the way to go. They seem expensive when you compare the price per square inch with other bandages, but when you consider the time they last and how well they work, they're a winner.
    Eppur si muove.

Master debator.
    Kerosene and a good stiff wire brush, every morning, will clean it out and keep it fresh-looking.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Wait. Don't chicks dig scars?
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

banned
    I would use a light coating of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. I would not cover the rash either.

Back in the mid 90s, while at a Club Med in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, I had a fall on the beach which was like sandpaper. I suffered road rash around my knees. The Nurse office cleaned it but would not cover it because the tropical environment could cause it to get infected. They told me to leave it exposed.

fu
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Wait. Don't chicks dig scars?
    Shhhh, ...don't tell the OP. More for us.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Clean it out nd then keep it covered with Tegaderm. Wet healing will increase the speed with which it heals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The key point is to never let a scab form. People have different preferences for what to put on the wound but you want to keep it soft at all times. Most often you will need to cover the wound to protect your clothing but an antibiotic ointment or something that keeps everything soft is key. A light cleaning in the shower every day is appropriate as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I think most of what people have posted is not correct, get some proper advice not from anecdotal stories from the interweb. Clean the wound. Steroids are not recommended, keep the wound dry hydrocolloid dressings are probably the best

RoadBikeReview Member
    The research showing conclusively that a wound kept wet heals better and faster than one that's allowed to dry out goes back at least 40 years. There are various products and methods to promote that.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rayej68 View Post
    Wash with antibacterial soap every day. Coat with Neosporin morning and night. Leave the wound open (without bandages) as much as you can while your home and at night. Wrap it up tight while riding and outdoors.

Hope that helps. Mostly my experience from football turf rash. Still worked the one time I lost traction on the road bike and hit the ground.
    Actually, some medical types told me to use Bacitracin instead of Neo. I slid across a slick asphalt road after hitting a grooved speed bump. I have read and heard not to use hydrogen peroxide on the wound. Tried the Tegaderm and it's too yucky with all the fluid build up for my taste.

is riding in MOPP4
    Quote Originally Posted by SMK-SLC View Post
    Actually, some medical types told me to use Bacitracin instead of Neo. I slid across a slick asphalt road after hitting a grooved speed bump. I have read and heard not to use hydrogen peroxide on the wound. Tried the Tegaderm and it's too yucky with all the fluid build up for my taste.
    Never really cared for either. Weak sauce antibiotics that help promote resistance. If you only had the two, then bacitracin is the better choice. Better to use straight up petroleum jelly or A&D ointment. And you read right...no H2O2 on wounds. It just prolongs healing times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyorerox View Post
    I think most of what people have posted is not correct, get some proper advice not from anecdotal stories from the interweb. Clean the wound. Steroids are not recommended, keep the wound dry hydrocolloid dressings are probably the best
    Nope. I used to practice the "air it out" method of letting wounds heal. After a great deal of (unnecessary) pain, scabs, etc., I tried the clean it and keep it wet method. Less pain, faster healing, less scarring.

K

Noob

Road Rash help

Quote Originally Posted by SMK-SLC View Post
    Bacitracin is essentially the generic Neo without some of the anti scarring medication. If I walk into CVS I'll buy which ever is on sale.

Also I agree with staying away from hydrogen peroxide, as its too harsh on the skin. The medical community advises soap and warm water.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Kerosene and a good stiff wire brush, every morning, will clean it out and keep it fresh-looking.
    I thought you were prescribing a morning oral hygene program!