Thread: Rocket 7

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Rocket 7

try and make it short. I am back from 15 yr lay off from cycling RB. I still have my old Look shoes they worked ok but my feet did hurt after time, looking into a better shoe and what you guys feel are good out there now, my feet are a little wide not to bad looking into Rocket 7 but would like to try on a pair first, or what do you guys like out there for the money and fit good with wide feet? The price on the rocket 7 is high but if they fit good dont give you problems then there worth it. Thanks for any help

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSummers
    looking into Rocket 7 but would like to try on a pair first

aren't they custom made?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    you can order them custom made or just messure your feet they will pull them off the shelf, thats the way it looks to me on there web page

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

I have mixed feelings about the R7 shoes after riding them this season. I wore Sidis in a 42.5 for many years and never had any real complaints, but I noticed that my latest pair of Genius 5 shoes felt heavy and a comparison with an 8-10 year old Genius shoe confirmed that the new models with carbon sole were heavier. My R7 shoes are a full 250 grams lighter. Buying a carbon frame that saves that much weight would cost many times the price of the R7 shoes.

I had to guess at the size, but the seller said they sized out about the same as Sidi, so I had them send a 42D and a 42.5D. The 42D was a perfect fit for my wide feet.

The downside to these shoes is they come with a worthless stock insole, so you'll at least have to pay another $40 for something like a Sole thin support heat formable insole. I suspect after a few years of use, they won't hold up extremely well either. In a recent crash, I slid a very small distance and almost cut clear through the lower edge of the synthetic leather. Fortunately, I expect a driver's car insurance to cover that expense. There is a thin strip of rubber along the bottom edge that covers the joint between the carbon sole and synthetic leather. Mine showed signs of cracking after only about 6 month.

I'm going to try D2 cutom shoes, with a custom orthotic, but those run $675. They also sell a stock shoe for $475. They appear to be quite well made. I tried a 42.5 wide and it fit great, with their standard insole. With a custom orthotic, it should be even better. The D2 shoes will weigh 80-100 grams more than the R7.

When it comes to shoes, it's all about fit. Sidi makes wide sizes, but they will be harder to find. I never tried them, but probably should have. A lot of brands only come in one width and they tend to be narrow. I tried on some specialized top of the line shoes last year. They were narrower than Sidi and would never do for my wide feet.
    Last edited by C-40; 12-16-2008 at 09:14 AM.

kytyree
    I am going to try the D2 custom shoes in the near future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    C-40 thanks good info

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I can't comment on the Rockets.

I have a pair of D2's and they are wonderful. Fit is right. Feet are comfy. Can't say much more good than that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    yeah, i have tried D2 too, loved them

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking Consider Shimano...

...the R220 or R300 or R310. They make a wide last, too, but I didn't need it, and I have a C/D width foot. Great shoes, and the shoe itself and the insole are heat customizable at the dealer's. Best fit I ever had in a road shoe...
    Go big, or take up bowling...

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    There are many choices now for wider feet than there used to be. Shimano and specialized both have wides and if you have a really wide foot the sidi megas are available. I had about that long of a layoff and found many more shoe choices these days.

Lakes also seem to have wider shoes but havent had the chance to try them

kytyree
    Speak of the Devil my D2 fit kit was dropped off by Fedex today.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    If you want to try a great shoe at a fraction of the cost. Sidi through Totalcycling.com or Probikekit.com will be half the cost or better of the above mentioned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

pifalls...

Quote Originally Posted by kytyree
    Speak of the Devil my D2 fit kit was dropped off by Fedex today.
    The crush box foam crushed very easily, so be careful not to push the heel down very hard or it will end up deeper than the forefoot. Also, the tracing pen requires an extremely light touch or it will produce an undersized tracing. I found the calibration on my pen to be off by 1mm per side, so I corrected it by adding a thin piece of cardboard taped to the front of the pen holder.

I also sent D2 my simple calibration block - a short length of oak 1x3 board with chamfers along the lower edges (for pen clearance). Trace a line along each side without moving the block, then flip it over so the sharp edges are against the paper. It should match the width of the block perfectly. If not, then the pen is mislocated.

Getting a pair of stock shoes to try on assured me that the custom model will fit. It should be the same 42.5 wide size, just with custom colors and the orthotic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh777
    If you want to try a great shoe at a fraction of the cost. Sidi through Totalcycling.com or Probikekit.com will be half the cost or better of the above mentioned.
    Only if Sidi's fit your feet. They don't even come close to fitting me properly. Hence I have a pair in size 43 for sale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    hey I want to thank all of you for the info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Thumbs up Update

I figured I would give you all an up date on the Rocket7 shoes I have been using.
    Now by no means am a pro rider, but I have wore a few cycling shoes in my days and as I said before I have been off the bike for 15 years and now back on.
    I got an real good price on the Rocket7 shoes off the shelf size 44 and they fit pretty much right on, and my foot is alittle wide. I feel I would of been better off with 44.5 but they did not have any in stock and I was not willing to put down the extra money for the half size knowing I could get my money back if the 44s did not fit without trying a set first.
    Light weight I cant find any other shoe that seems close to the weight, I have only had one hot spot the other day and I lossened the strap and it went away and that was after 80 miles.
    I have had no wear problems with them.
    Would I buy again? Yes, next time I feel I will go with the 44.5 because of my left foot is just a little snug. (left foot is bigger)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I've been wearing R7 shoes for about 18 months now. I didn't get custom shoes. If you order from the factory, you can get different sizes for the left and right foot. My left foot is a bit narrower than my right, so this worked well for me. Also, you can have the cleat mounting holes drilled anyway you like. I use Speedplay pedals and ordered shoes with four-hole cleat mounts instead of the usual three. This allows me to ditch the Speedplay four-to-three hole mounting adapter, which lowered the stack height and reduced weight. A BIG plus in my opinion. I have been very happy with my R7 shoes. The soles are very stiff and I have no issues with hot spots. The only problem I have is that the rubber heel pads wear quickly and fall off. I have had to glue new pads on both shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

R7 for three years and tough to top

I got a pair of R7's three years ago. I didn't love them at first, but as I kept going back and forth, the Rockets won.

My requirements are not normal, as I where a 49 or 50 size shoe, so Shimano's racing shoes were not an option.

I need to have the appropriate arch support and have had great luck with Specialized or lower end Shimano shoes. (Specialized run larger).

I finally paid the $ for some custom Rocket 7s and they are worth it. Lower stack height, half the weight of other shoes, and they wear well.

Whoever said that the rubber edge liner on the outside cracks after a while is right. Mine are shot and my shoes are do for sending back for a tune up (which I believe replaces all of these parts.).

Much like the lighter better fitting bike, after I switch back and forth between shoes, the R7s are the clear winners. For the $, they should be.