Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

roller noise help

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  khardrunner14 
#1 ·
I cannot figure out why my rollers sound this awful (see video). I know the tires are making the higher pitch noise, not a big deal. It’s the loud rumbling like noise that gets crazy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vANSKrWpb7o

help!

#2 ·
Those look like Kreitler rollers.

First, I'd try another bike or another set of rollers. Do this to verify it's not your wheels.

Sounds like a bearing is going bad. Unfortunately, without being able to swap out rollers one at a time, it will be hard to isolate which roller is the culprit. Perhaps it would be easier to replace ALL the roller bearings at the same time. They're not necessarily user serviceable unless you're creative. If you can isolate the problem to one roller, perhaps Kreitler will sell you one roller. You can have the bad one repaired and held in reserve as a spare. Kreitler makes good stuff so don't think you have junk; they usually last a lifetime. Incidentally, Kreitler's come with a LIFETIME warranty.

One way to determine which roller has bad bearings is to remove the belt and wiggle/spin each roller individually. Obviously, the one that doesn't feel like the others is the problem. You could also remove the axle from each roller and spin each bearing with a finger.

Since you have poly end caps, remove each roller and confirm none of them are cracked or loose. Also look for cracks on the drums, but those aluminum drums don't usually suffer cracks.

#3 ·
These are minoura magrollers

I’ve had them apart a bunch of times now. Everything is snug and the bearings all roll well, although I have no idea how old they are (old!). The plastic endcaps seem snug, but they will spin with some effort on the drum. All of the drums/endcaps seem to have a slight wobble when spinning but I can’t feel it when riding.

The spindle that goes through the bearings on the front drum has a slight bend in it, although the noise is coming from the rear as best as I can tell.

Maybe it’s the bearings, I don’t know.

#4 ·
Did the Minoura's always do that? Some rollers had reinforcing disks inserted into the drums to shore them up and prevent cracking. Could be yours are internally braced as well and the brace is loose.

Personally, I'd use the opportunity to replace the Minoura's with a pair of Kreitlers. My buddy had a pair of Minoura's and they eventually crapped out.

No need to pay full price; eBay always has some excellent deals. Get the 3" model as it will provide a modicum of resistance, enabling you to merely use lower gears when you want just a spin.

$250, shipped.
I'd jump on these and not sit on your hands like the 2 Watchers on this auction; I think this is an excellent price. Replacing the rubber feet is easy and cheap.

Also, always check your local Craigslist.

#6 ·
Start saving for a new set of rollers - the rubber cement is a temporary fix.

I've had a couple of sets of Minoura rollers (1 purchased, 1 used set given to me) and both eventually had the end caps wear out so badly or break that they needed replacement. Unfortunately Minoura doesn't sell replacement end caps.

The Minoura drums have internal ridges in them that push against matching ridges on the end caps. On the belt side there is enough torque to cause the end cap to slip past the ridge on the drum. At first it doesn't happen often, but each time it slips a little more of end cap is worn off. Eventually they will spin against the drum, causing that rumbling noise. And a lot of dust around the end caps. Moving the belt to the other side will help for a while, but eventually, if you move the belt around and swap end caps with the 3rd roller, they all wear out. The plastic that Minoura uses doesn't lend itself to sticking well with any adhesives, and if you screw or rivet into them the plastic cracks and falls apart. The only option then is to replace them.

FWIW I replaced my last set of rollers with Kreitler alloy rollers and they've been worth every penny I paid for them. Super smooth and quiet, I can now ride in the early morning without waking up the SO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.