Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcreosote View Post
    Same as bikerector, I have the front roller moved all the way to the front to provide clearance for the fork mount. Then place the fork mount so the rear wheel sits in the rear rollers as normal - usually best to just have the fork mount loosely on the roller frame then tighten it up once the bike is in position. Basically, just relocate the front roller out of the way of where to fork mount needs to be.

BTW, you do have the rollers frame fully extended, dont you? Should look like this when all set up

I was thinking it might not be fully extended but for now it works. Considering the pain (literally) it was to set up one handed I will worry about that later.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^

Hope you heal fast and well NJBiker72
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    I was thinking it might not be fully extended but for now it works.
    Per the picture, you need to make sure the front part of the Cyclops frame looks like an extension of the rear part. Where it folds in half, the front frame should not be sitting 'on top' of the rear frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Get a power based trainer (kickr, tacx smart, computrainer) and you won't regret giving away the old trainer.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post
    Get a power based trainer (kickr, tacx smart, computrainer) and you won't regret giving away the old trainer.
    No. Far prefer rollers even with the stand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No. Far prefer rollers even with the stand.
    With the stand, or, without the stability demand on the bike, what is the difference?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    With the stand, or, without the stability demand on the bike, what is the difference?
    It still has some balance component. Or at least feels freer. Tough to quantify.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It still has some balance component. Or at least feels freer. Tough to quantify.
    Thanks, I have never used them, but I'm thinking of maybe next winter. The trainer seems to keep up fine on endurance goals but you lose a lot on bike handling. A lot.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Thanks, I have never used them, but I'm thinking of maybe next winter. The trainer seems to keep up fine on endurance goals but you lose a lot on bike handling. A lot.
    I think my bike handling improved immensely this past winter using them instead of the trainer. Pedal stroke too. Never really felt like I got in top shape (diet not exercise) yet kept up better than in past years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    If you have room, possibly turn rollers around ignoring front roller.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trofeo Rosso View Post
    If you have room, possibly turn rollers around ignoring front roller.
    You know this might have worked. I have the stand now but where would it go if you just took the front roller off? Still not worth the risk of re-injuring the wrist, nearly did that anyway when I dropped a chain while standing today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    The fork mount should be just behind the axis of the front roller, just the way you are supposed to set up the rollers when riding them normally, i.e., axis of front hub just behind the axis of the front roller. Take a look at the Kreitler fork stand perhaps. It allows you to position it separately from the rollers themselves.

One other thing. If you like the rollers with forkstand better than a trainer because you still feel slightly freer, then you're in for some disappointment down the line. Securing a fork to a forkstand then moving laterally is a no-no and could easily damage the frame and/or fork. I have ridden rollers for many years and use the fork stand for 1-leg training or for lazy days, but no way would I stand up and torque that fork attached to the forkstand.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    The fork mount should be just behind the axis of the front roller, just the way you are supposed to set up the rollers when riding them normally, i.e., axis of front hub just behind the axis of the front roller. Take a look at the Kreitler fork stand perhaps. It allows you to position it separately from the rollers themselves.

One other thing. If you like the rollers with forkstand better than a trainer because you still feel slightly freer, then you're in for some disappointment down the line. Securing a fork to a forkstand then moving laterally is a no-no and could easily damage the frame and/or fork. I have ridden rollers for many years and use the fork stand for 1-leg training or for lazy days, but no way would I stand up and torque that fork attached to the forkstand.
    With the bike that is on there I am not worried about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Bumping up this up since a lot of folks discussing fork stands. I was recently involved in a crash where the (carbon) front fork on my bike absolutely crumpled after I was (accidentally) nudged off the road by another rider and into a ditch.

Afterward, I got to wondering whether the fork itself had been compromised by my use of my Kreitler fork stand. The bike spent most of the winter attached to the stand with me riding 8 - 10 hours a week.

CX'er
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobalina View Post
    Bumping up this up since a lot of folks discussing fork stands. I was recently involved in a crash where the (carbon) front fork on my bike absolutely crumpled after I was (accidentally) nudged off the road by another rider and into a ditch.

Afterward, I got to wondering whether the fork itself had been compromised by my use of my Kreitler fork stand. The bike spent most of the winter attached to the stand with me riding 8 - 10 hours a week.
    Why do you think the fork stand might have compromised the fork? Are you guessing or is there something you noticed while riding that may cause issue? I'm genuinely curious as I've used a fork stand a fair bit without a problem but I haven't ridden my bike into a ditch yet. I like the fork stand for race warmups as the rollers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Well, but I was hoping others would chime in with their experiences. The fork failed rather catastrophically but it's possible I hit something in the ditch that helped cause it. I didn't notice a thing before.

I've read extensive debates about whether using a rear wheel trainer weakens the frame, but nothing about a fork stand, which is what made me bump this thread up.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobalina View Post
    Well, but I was hoping others would chime in with their experiences. The fork failed rather catastrophically but it's possible I hit something in the ditch that helped cause it. I didn't notice a thing before
    In crashes, carbon forks sometimes crack or even break catastrophically when the front wheel locks up and the rider goes over the bars. The bicycle rotates around the front hub. When the fork approaches the horizontal with the rider still gripping the bars, the rider's weight (exerting force F) puts a large bending moment on the now cantilevered fork blades. (The bending moment is so large that it can bend steel fork blades).

It's not easy to lock up a front wheel, but it does happen. In your case, you could have pulled the front brake hard while you were already off the saddle and well forward over the stem. Or as you suspect, your wheel hit something and was no longer able to turn. Sorry about my drawing skills--they used to be better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wim; 05-11-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12