Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned
    Jul 2011

Rollers / Front Fork Stand

Ok. Can't find this anywhere.

Dedicated roller user. So much so I gave away my old trainer.

Then I broke my wrist. Riding one handed on rollers did not seem fun for my first attempt. Decided to pick up a front fork stand. Trying to get the position right. Directions say behind front roller. But doing that gets the rear tire only over the very rear roller.

Is that ok? Or should I put the stand where the front drum is? Am i missing someting? Pardon the typing. Right wrist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really sorry to hear about the wrist. That sucks! Have no clue about the roller stand.

Heal fast and well.
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

Never use your face as a brake pad.”
    -Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I'd place the stand so the rear wheel is where it is when you're on the rollers normally.

Sorry about the wrist. Hopefully it's not a broken scaphoid bone.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    I'd place the stand so the rear wheel is where it is when you're on the rollers normally.

That's what I was thinking. Kind of hoping for the easier way while setting up with 1 hand but makes sense. Thanks for the well wishes. Not sure of the name of the bones but will probably not be riding for awhile.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    Really sorry to hear about the wrist. That sucks! Have no clue about the roller stand.

Heal fast and well.
    Thanks.

Masters Neophyte
    If that cute Norwegian girl can make an omellette while on rollers, you can ride one-handed.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    If that cute Norwegian girl can make an omellette while on rollers, you can ride one-handed.
    I love that video. Unfortunately also out of eggs. Will have to break the no driving rule today.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    I suffered a double scaphoid fracture last year. By far the worst breaks I've ever had, literally took 9 months to heal and they still seem not right.

Usually the front fork stand goes directly behind the front roller. I've never used one or seen one used though.
    use a torque wrench

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I suffered a double scaphoid fracture last year. By far the worst breaks I've ever had, literally took 9 months to heal and they still seem not right.

Usually the front fork stand goes directly behind the front roller. I've never used one or seen one used though.
    I was out for a few months 5 years ago with a broken elbow where they basically retake the elbow worth metal. Pretty similar, really going to drive metal detectors nuts, but on the wrist. So far, 3 days in, seems much better, despite the docs warnings. Then again, as bad as the doc said this one was, the elbow sounded like a bag of bone chips.

CX'er
    On my cycleops rollers, I moved the front drum forward so that I can put the fork mount where it needs to be. You'll want the rear tire sitting between the rear drums like they normally would. Without the front drum's induced rolling resistance there will be less resistance at the pedals so expect to ride a few gears higher. I imagine if you can't move the front drum you can move the rear? Not sure if different models work differently, the cycleops one only allows movement at the front.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerector View Post
    On my cycleops rollers, I moved the front drum forward so that I can put the fork mount where it needs to be. You'll want the rear tire sitting between the rear drums like they normally would. Without the front drum's induced rolling resistance there will be less resistance at the pedals so expect to ride a few gears higher. I imagine if you can't move the front drum you can move the rear? Not sure if different models work differently, the cycleops one only allows movement at the front.
    That is the strange thing. I am as far front and back with the drums as I can be. It is a CycleOps and not large bike (old trainer bike) not sure of exact size but I think a medium size. Smaller than my Spec 56.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Trying to get the position right. Directions say behind front roller. But doing that gets the rear tire only over the very rear roller.
    The problem may be that the directions aren't clear. "Behind the front roller" seems to imply that you mount the fork stand behind the front roller as that roller is positioned before you ever got the fork stand.

But with the rear wheel centered right between the two rear rollers, you might have to move the front roller so you can attach the fork stand and position that stand where it needs to be. Once you no longer need the stand, the front roller goes back to its original position. If this is going to be a long-term situation for you, taking the front roller completely off might be a good option.
    Last edited by wim; 07-05-2015 at 06:55 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's how TruTrainer does it...

http://www.trutrainer.com/images2/fo..._installed.jpg

http://www.trutrainer.com/images2/forkstand_stowed.jpg

Edit: images were huge, much better to just click the link

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it's going to be a while, maybe pick up a trainer? I did my thumb up near the wrist this winter and was able to get in good workouts on the trainer "more or less" one handed. Shifting the front dérailleur was an adventure. I picked my Kinetic for $100 on Craig's List. But there are cheap trainers out there. Then you are super stable?

As I was typing I pressed my finger on the spot where the fracture was and it still hurts. It was December. Good luck. I hope you get healed up and it's a smooth road back.
    If I knew then what I know now, I woulda done it anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    Does the fork mount put a lot of stress on carbon forks?

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    If it's going to be a while, maybe pick up a trainer? I did my thumb up near the wrist this winter and was able to get in good workouts on the trainer "more or less" one handed. Shifting the front dérailleur was an adventure. I picked my Kinetic for $100 on Craig's List. But there are cheap trainers out there. Then you are super stable?

As I was typing I pressed my finger on the spot where the fracture was and it still hurts. It was December. Good luck. I hope you get healed up and it's a smooth road back.
    Thought about it but felt stupid for giving the trainer away. I think once the stand is properly positioned it will be a suitable short term solution..

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    damn... sorry to hear about the broken wrist. As someone that grew up skateboarding and aggressive inline skating, I've broken a bunch of bones, including my wrist.. It's never fun, but listen to the docs and you should be ok.

As far as the roller question, I have no idea.... but I'm sure you'll get it figured out and keep the workouts doing. Have you tried Zwift yet? I've been using it pretty regularly for a month now and it is great.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    The problem may be that the directions aren't clear. "Behind the front roller" seems to imply that you mount the fork stand behind the front roller as that roller is positioned before you ever got the fork stand.

But with the rear wheel centered right between the two rear rollers, you might have to move the front roller so you can attach the fork stand and position that stand where it needs to be. Once you no longer need the stand, the front roller goes back to its original position. If this is going to be a long-term situation for you, taking the front roller completely off might be a good option.
    ^^^^This^^^^

Hope you heal fast and well NJBiker72
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Ok. Can't find this anywhere.

Dedicated roller user. So much so I gave away my old trainer.

Then I broke my wrist. Riding one handed on rollers did not seem fun for my first attempt. Decided to pick up a front fork stand. Trying to get the position right. Directions say behind front roller. But doing that gets the rear tire only over the very rear roller.

Is that ok? Or should I put the stand where the front drum is? Am i missing someting? Pardon the typing. Right wrist.
    I had a wrist surgery as well last year and I still haven't recovered fully. It really makes riding uncomfortable for me but it is what it is I guess.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
    I had a wrist surgery as well last year and I still haven't recovered fully. It really makes riding uncomfortable for me but it is what it is I guess.
    Thanks. Actually did a 2 for 1 and got my carpal tunnel released while in so I am hoping when better it is a net positive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thought about it but felt stupid for giving the trainer away. I think once the stand is properly positioned it will be a suitable short term solution..
    I don't mean this at all snarky... And I don't have rollers (I'd love to try next winter) but isn't a principal benefit the lack of stability? I know a fork stand will stabilize the rollers. But will they then lose their principle benefit? With a trainer you can get in a great workout with one working arm, I did. Albeit I think it does the opposite of rollers for your bike handling and hurts it... If you are down around the hook and want to borrow mine, you are welcome...

Or if you do break down and buy one, an injury like yours a pretty good absolution.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    damn... sorry to hear about the broken wrist. As someone that grew up skateboarding and aggressive inline skating, I've broken a bunch of bones, including my wrist.. It's never fun, but listen to the docs and you should be ok.

As far as the roller question, I have no idea.... but I'm sure you'll get it figured out and keep the workouts doing. Have you tried Zwift yet? I've been using it pretty regularly for a month now and it is great.
    Thanks. I thought Zyft needed high tech equipment? Really just me and an old bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    That is the strange thing. I am as far front and back with the drums as I can be. It is a CycleOps and not large bike (old trainer bike) not sure of exact size but I think a medium size. Smaller than my Spec 56.
    Same as bikerector, I have the front roller moved all the way to the front to provide clearance for the fork mount. Then place the fork mount so the rear wheel sits in the rear rollers as normal - usually best to just have the fork mount loosely on the roller frame then tighten it up once the bike is in position. Basically, just relocate the front roller out of the way of where to fork mount needs to be.

BTW, you do have the rollers frame fully extended, dont you? Should look like this when all set up

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I don't mean this at all snarky... And I don't have rollers (I'd love to try next winter) but isn't a principal benefit the lack of stability? I know a fork stand will stabilize the rollers. But will they then lose their principle benefit? With a trainer you can get in a great workout with one working arm, I did. Albeit I think it does the opposite of rollers for your bike handling and hurts it... If you are down around the hook and want to borrow mine, you are welcome...

Or if you do break down and buy one, an injury like yours a pretty good absolution.
    Yeah. That is the key for rollers. And thanks for the offer. Sure I could always borrow my old ones back too.

I think with the front fork set up it is a nice middle ground. Tested it a bit. And they were a bit cheaper than getting a real cheap trainer, which is how I ended up with the first trainer.

Looking forward to trying it tomorrow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah. That is the key for rollers. And thanks for the offer. Sure I could always borrow my old ones back too.

I think with the front fork set up it is a nice middle ground. Tested it a bit. And they were a bit cheaper than getting a real cheap trainer, which is how I ended up with the first trainer.

Looking forward to trying it tomorrow.
    Good luck man! I hope everything is good and solid! Sending good vibes from the Jersey Shore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast