Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 129
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    Great article, thanks for posting it!

  2. #27
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz View Post
    What difference does his licence plate make?

    While annoying he did not do anything threatening, unsafe or illegal.
    You think that blinding and choking a cyclist with carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitric oxide, respirable carbon particulates, sulfur dioxide, benzene and hydrocarbons . . .

    . . . is SAFE?!

    Duane Behrens
    Last edited by Duane Behrens; 09-02-2014 at 04:35 AM.
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  3. #28
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz View Post
    Do you actually believe all this BS? [snip]

    Seriously, if you are going to ride your bike, especially in our near urban areas, then be prepared to ignore the actions of the others on the road who don't appeciate your presence on the road. [snip]
    Actually, the only "BS" I can see here is the suggestion or implication that we should put up with it.

    GET his license plate.
    FIND out where he lives.
    CAMP in his yard, on his sidewalk and/or at his workplace with your friends.
    EMBARRASS him with the truth; tell him he's a coward, hurting people from inside the safety of his vehicle.

    Post his name and address and a picture of what he's done here. There. Everywhere.

    Have fun with it. It is NOT a waste of time.
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
    Woman ;)

    I will report this jerkoff to CARB/CHP.
    Glad to hear it. Cyclists have a right to enjoy riding in peace without the harassment of idiots. If the driver has done it to you, then he/she has done it to others and it may cause an accident one day.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: burgrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Glad to hear it. Cyclists have a right to enjoy riding in peace without the harassment of idiots. If the driver has done it to you, then he/she has done it to others and it may cause an accident one day.
    I agree. This guy will continue to blow that crap on cyclists, runners, etc. Maybe a visit or a citation by the police, sheriff, or CHP will make him think twice.

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    798
    Well, I might have to give up on this A poster on another cycling forum suggested I run the plate with the "X" and "T" through the DMVs smog test database. Neither one came back to a Dodge. I tried a couple other letters, still no luck. Either I didn't get the other six digits of the plate right or the plate itself is stolen.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    548

    "Rolling coal" caught on video during yesterday's ride

    Quote Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
    Well, I might have to give up on this A poster on another cycling forum suggested I run the plate with the "X" and "T" through the DMVs smog test database. Neither one came back to a Dodge. I tried a couple other letters, still no luck. Either I didn't get the other six digits of the plate right or the plate itself is stolen.
    Are diesels required to be smog tested?

  8. #33
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    If it happens to me - and it hasn't happened yet - I will stop and pull out my cell phone. I'll dial 911, I'll describe the vehicle and its heading to the dispatcher, and will assert that the driver is blinding cyclists repeatedly with exhaust from his vehicle in a way that leaves no doubt that he's doing it for cruel sport. I'll give them my name and address. They'll already have my cell no. And I'll offer to cooperate in any investigation and/or eventual hearing associated with the incident. That's it. That's all I'll do.

    Why wouldn't every one of you do exactly the same?

    Duane Behrens
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  9. #34
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post

    Why wouldn't every one of you do exactly the same?

    Duane Behrens
    Nope.

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,619
    I think I'd just keep riding... But then again, I'm in Jersey. That's just our regular air to us.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I think I'd just keep riding... But then again, I'm in Jersey. That's just our regular air to us.
    Hahahaha Gotta love the garden state!

    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    If it happens to me - and it hasn't happened yet - I will stop and pull out my cell phone. I'll dial 911, I'll describe the vehicle and its heading to the dispatcher, and will assert that the driver is blinding cyclists repeatedly with exhaust from his vehicle in a way that leaves no doubt that he's doing it for cruel sport. I'll give them my name and address. They'll already have my cell no. And I'll offer to cooperate in any investigation and/or eventual hearing associated with the incident. That's it. That's all I'll do.

    Why wouldn't every one of you do exactly the same?

    Duane Behrens
    Great question. Even better idea!

  12. #37
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Nope.
    Why not? Your reply serves no use to anyone reading this thread.

    Another lister suggested that HE (or SHE) wouldn't call it in, for fear that the dispatcher wouldn't consider it as a "life-threatening emergency." That supposition is false. If I see a drunk driver crossing lanes, slowly weaving in and out of traffic, I'll call it in - even though there is no clear "life-threatening emergency." In the same way, the A-hole in a diesel pickup who swerves close to cyclists- and then presses the accelerator to blind those cyclists in a plume of noxious gases - well, that A-hole is creating a serious physical risk to each cyclist he approaches.

    So call it in. Don't EVER be shy about this. Because here's how it works: If the LEOs ARE busy responding to an accident or a crime of greater importance, you'll be placed on the back burner or ignored. And that's fine, that's the way it should be.

    But there will be occasions when a motor or patrol is in the area, is free, and is able to approach and observe the A-hole's behaviour.

    Cue flashing red and blue lights.

    Duane Behrens
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    Why not? Your reply serves no use to anyone reading this thread.

    Another lister suggested that HE (or SHE) wouldn't call it in, for fear that the dispatcher wouldn't consider it as a "life-threatening emergency." That supposition is false. If I see a drunk driver crossing lanes, slowly weaving in and out of traffic, I'll call it in - even though there is no clear "life-threatening emergency." In the same way, the A-hole in a diesel pickup who swerves close to cyclists- and then presses the accelerator to blind those cyclists in a plume of noxious gases - well, that A-hole is creating a serious physical risk to each cyclist he approaches.

    So call it in. Don't EVER be shy about this. Because here's how it works: If the LEOs ARE busy responding to an accident or a crime of greater importance, you'll be placed on the back burner or ignored. And that's fine, that's the way it should be.

    But there will be occasions when a motor or patrol is in the area, is free, and is able to approach and observe the A-hole's behaviour.

    Cue flashing red and blue lights.

    Duane Behrens
    I can almost imagine the response.
    We have people with heart attacks calling. People hiding from knife attackers. And you got smoke in your face?
    Blows your hair back.

  14. #39
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    907
    It's a puff of smoke. Keep riding. For the love of Bengi.


  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    965
    911 Operator- "911, What is your emergency?"

    Cyclist- "I was riding my bike and a truck came by and blew smoke at me."

    911 Operator- "Okay, but what is your emergency?"

    Cyclist- "That IS my emergency! It was a diesel truck and the exhaust smoke was very black and stinky."

    911 Operator- "Were you injured? Do you require an ambulance?"

    Cyclist- " No but I'm very annoyed. The guy in the truck DID IT ON PURPOSE."

    911 Operator- "You do realize that 911 is for actual emergencies."

    Cyclist- "THIS IS AN ACTUAL EMERGENCY! A guy in a truck drove by me and thick black smoke came out of his exhaust. HE DID THIS ON PURPOSE!

    911 Operator- (click)

  16. #41
    Cooper1960
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    484
    Around here we call that crop dusting, not rolling coal. Regardless it happens from time to time, for me it's no big deal, I was farm raised and love the smell of diesel.
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

  17. #42
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,412
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    I can almost imagine the response.
    We have people with heart attacks calling. People hiding from knife attackers. And you got smoke in your face?
    exactly.

    911 is for requesting emergency response, not for reporting that someone is a bone-headed loser.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

  18. #43
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    :-) Half of you will die of cancer. And I'm sure that until the very end, you'll wonder why.
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  19. #44
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    24,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    exactly.

    911 is for requesting emergency response, not for reporting that someone is a bone-headed loser.
    You realize there's a non-emergency manner of contacting your local PD?
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    :-) Half of you will die of cancer. And I'm sure that until the very end, you'll wonder why.
    no I can think of many reasons.
    One have to be really dense to think it's due to one truck blowing some smoke.
    Blows your hair back.

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You realize there's a non-emergency manner of contacting your local PD?
    let me help you out here with where this came from. Given it's a few posts ago and you might have lost track:
    "If it happens to me - and it hasn't happened yet - I will stop and pull out my cell phone. I'll dial 911," bla bla.
    Blows your hair back.

  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    exactly.

    911 is for requesting emergency response, not for reporting that someone is a bone-headed loser.
    It depends. If the dispatcher gives you crap about the 911 system being for emergencies only, you can assert that with the sheer amount of billowing smoke this driver is spewing out, you were blinded, and so was your entire group and that your bikes got tangled up and you almost had a catastrophic crash.

    I would never suggest anyone call and whine and say that "some mean driver is blowing smoke at me!" Of course, that would be categorically absurd and met with scorn by the operator. If you're smart, you call this in and embellish. Talk about how the driver of the vehicle is intentionally causing an incredibly dangerous situation. You almost got hit by a car! You fell off your bike. Hell, I'm sure you could show the dispatched cops some scratches and scuffs from another incident in the unlikely event you were asked to substantiate your claims of falling off your bike resulting from being blinded.

    Yes, the hyperbole and poking fun at the ludicrousness of the complaints are funny and all and being presented by detractors in this thread as if there is no real danger. But how many of the people saying these things are very experienced riders, and perhaps used to this kind of stupidity?

    A guy rolling coal on some inexperienced cyclists could potentially get someone killed. Blind a guy for two seconds, and he hits a pothole, parked car, or worse, gets disoriented and swerves into traffic.

    Make all the jokes you want. Some of them are even funny.

    But don't assume that everyone is as experienced as you and can simply roll with it (no pun intended) when someone pulls this. So, yeah, call 911. Make sure you sound absolutely terrified because of the horrible danger you were just put in. Exaggerate; make up a f*cking story about how you came this close to buying it; tell the operator you rode into a parked car or got thrown off your bike; make sh*t up. If not for you, then for the next guy who this may really put in danger.

  23. #48
    Pooped a refrigerator.
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,659
    This is how cyclists can be rolling "kål":

    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

  24. #49
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    :-) Half of you will die of cancer. And I'm sure that until the very end, you'll wonder why.
    Hey, I hear the world is full of nice people. Let me know when you find one.

  25. #50
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You realize there's a non-emergency manner of contacting your local PD?
    even tho the acting of 'coaling' cyclists is really a low-life move, personally, I wouldn't bother reporting it as an emergency or non-emergency.

    in the single instance that it's happened to me, I simply held my breath until I pedaled past the smoke.

    wasn't really a huge deal...

    I was far more perturbed by the trucktards that intentionally aimed a six-pack of empty beer bottles at me at 60 mph...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM
  3. lets get that awesome "teh lounge" kit rolling
    By Kaboom in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
  4. Photos/Video: Cycling The "Remarkable" Ride in Queenstown, New Zealand
    By steephill in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 02:57 AM
  5. Rolling resistances of "durable" vs "race" tires?
    By P.D.E. in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •