Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 129
  1. #51
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,205
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
    It depends. If the dispatcher gives you crap about the 911 system being for emergencies only, you can assert that with the sheer amount of billowing smoke this driver is spewing out, you were blinded, and so was your entire group and that your bikes got tangled up and you almost had a catastrophic crash.

    I would never suggest anyone call and whine and say that "some mean driver is blowing smoke at me!" Of course, that would be categorically absurd and met with scorn by the operator. If you're smart, you call this in and embellish. Talk about how the driver of the vehicle is intentionally causing an incredibly dangerous situation. You almost got hit by a car! You fell off your bike. Hell, I'm sure you could show the dispatched cops some scratches and scuffs from another incident in the unlikely event you were asked to substantiate your claims of falling off your bike resulting from being blinded.

    Yes, the hyperbole and poking fun at the ludicrousness of the complaints are funny and all and being presented by detractors in this thread as if there is no real danger. But how many of the people saying these things are very experienced riders, and perhaps used to this kind of stupidity?

    A guy rolling coal on some inexperienced cyclists could potentially get someone killed. Blind a guy for two seconds, and he hits a pothole, parked car, or worse, gets disoriented and swerves into traffic.

    Make all the jokes you want. Some of them are even funny.

    But don't assume that everyone is as experienced as you and can simply roll with it (no pun intended) when someone pulls this. So, yeah, call 911. Make sure you sound absolutely terrified because of the horrible danger you were just put in. Exaggerate; make up a f*cking story about how you came this close to buying it; tell the operator you rode into a parked car or got thrown off your bike; make sh*t up. If not for you, then for the next guy who this may really put in danger.
    you forgot. "think of the children".
    Blows your hair back.

  2. #52
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,394
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
    Exaggerate; make up a f*cking story about how you came this close to buying it; tell the operator you rode into a parked car or got thrown off your bike; make sh*t up. If not for you, then for the next guy who this may really put in danger.
    seriously...? sorry, guess I don't possess the drama queen gene.

    if it wasn't a real emergency, I'm certainly not going to tie up the 911 operator with some whiny bs story.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

  3. #53
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    148
    Most police departments have driving complaint forms you can submit online. This is a normal practice in my area. The complaints are added to the PD database and used to flag vehicles and drivers as problems.

    In addition when a vehicle is stopped and the officer is deciding whether a ticket maybe issued it usually goes as part of the consideration if they have any sort of history.

    Same goes for in court. The driver appears saying they have no history of problems but these will be presented by the prosecution as history.

  4. #54
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    you forgot. "think of the children".

    Also, "If you don't come now, the terrorists win!!!!"

  5. #55
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    seriously...? sorry, guess I don't possess the drama queen gene.

    if it wasn't a real emergency, I'm certainly not going to tie up the 911 operator with some whiny bs story.
    Well, absent your alternative solution - and you don't seem to be able to provide one - I suggest that when it happens to YOU, you simply wave weakly, smile bravely and utter softly . . .

    "Please, sir, may I have another?"
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  6. #56
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
    It depends. If the dispatcher gives you crap about the 911 system being for emergencies only, you can assert that with the sheer amount of billowing smoke this driver is spewing out, you were blinded, and so was your entire group and that your bikes got tangled up and you almost had a catastrophic crash.

    I would never suggest anyone call and whine and say that "some mean driver is blowing smoke at me!" Of course, that would be categorically absurd and met with scorn by the operator. If you're smart, you call this in and embellish. Talk about how the driver of the vehicle is intentionally causing an incredibly dangerous situation. You almost got hit by a car! You fell off your bike. Hell, I'm sure you could show the dispatched cops some scratches and scuffs from another incident in the unlikely event you were asked to substantiate your claims of falling off your bike resulting from being blinded.

    Yes, the hyperbole and poking fun at the ludicrousness of the complaints are funny and all and being presented by detractors in this thread as if there is no real danger. But how many of the people saying these things are very experienced riders, and perhaps used to this kind of stupidity?

    A guy rolling coal on some inexperienced cyclists could potentially get someone killed. Blind a guy for two seconds, and he hits a pothole, parked car, or worse, gets disoriented and swerves into traffic.

    Make all the jokes you want. Some of them are even funny.

    But don't assume that everyone is as experienced as you and can simply roll with it (no pun intended) when someone pulls this. So, yeah, call 911. Make sure you sound absolutely terrified because of the horrible danger you were just put in. Exaggerate; make up a f*cking story about how you came this close to buying it; tell the operator you rode into a parked car or got thrown off your bike; make sh*t up. If not for you, then for the next guy who this may really put in danger.
    THIS. "This guy is purposely turning his wheel, trying to drive us off the shoulder! He's spewing smoke from his exhaust, BLINDING US! Two cyclists behind me are off the road, vomiting! PLEASE get out here as soon as you can! It's a brown Dodge Ram diesel, crew cab short box with a bumper sticker "Mind if I Smoke?" License D*J5613! "

    Trust me, if you're on a group ride you'll have plenty of witnesses to corroborate your claims. Now and at the hearing, there is strength in numbers.

    Etc. These effers don't deserve to live, much less get away with this schit. They're small-minded cowards. Negative reinforcement becomes the only cure. Gimme an amen.
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  7. #57
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    I suggest that when it happens to YOU..
    already described my reaction to it. it was essentially an annoyance that did not require hysterics.

    so, does this happen to you frequently? are there squadrons of knuckle-dragger coalers in your area that accost you often?

    or do you just enjoy getting on a soap-box about every little injustice that occurs in your life...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

  8. #58
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    already described my reaction to it. it was essentially an annoyance that did not require hysterics.

    so, does this happen to you frequently? are there squadrons of knuckle-dragger coalers in your area that accost you often?

    or do you just enjoy getting on a soap-box about every little injustice that occurs in your life...
    While I have taken to adding Duane and his high horse to my ignore list. You hit the nail on the head. Some people act like every little thing is the end of the world. They need to get over it and move on. Too much time and money spent clogging up the courts with this petty BS.

  9. #59
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    While I have taken to adding Duane and his high horse to my ignore list. You hit the nail on the head. Some people act like every little thing is the end of the world. They need to get over it and move on. Too much time and money spent clogging up the courts with this petty BS.
    Nope.
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  10. #60
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    893
    I was on a century ride today and some idiot did that. It was a very hard ride and it was really hot out today. At that point I was so tired I really could care less. The other riders around me didnt seem to care too much either. Just heard a few people say what a jerk he was and that was it. Had some other redneck idiot in a truck yell out the window "Hey Boy! Dont you know what side of the road to ride on?!" No idea what he meant by that. Just a dumb redneck so who cares.

  11. #61
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by scottma View Post
    I was on a century ride today and some idiot did that. It was a very hard ride and it was really hot out today. At that point I was so tired I really could care less. The other riders around me didnt seem to care too much either. Just heard a few people say what a jerk he was and that was it. Had some other redneck idiot in a truck yell out the window "Hey Boy! Dont you know what side of the road to ride on?!" No idea what he meant by that. Just a dumb redneck so who cares.
    Mmm. Well. Let me tell you. You and your friends took a dose today. And you took that dose deep into your tired, laboring lungs. Because of the short duration, your exposure probably didn't approach any 8-hour permissible exposure limit. Still, the best studies I've seen indicate that with many contaminants, cancer and other risks are increased and exacerbated with EVERY exposure, large or small. So it pays to limit such exposure as much as possible. You seem to disagree, and that's absolutely fine.

    You're a cyclist. So am I. We enjoy the same pastime. I care about you and about all who ride these things for pleasure, training and sport. And I personally think that tolerating retarded stunts from cowboy cowards is not appropriate.

    I could be wrong. Sleep well.
    Last edited by Duane Behrens; 09-06-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  12. #62
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    Mmm. Well. Let me tell you. You and your friends took a dose today. And you took that dose deep into your tired, laboring lungs. Because of the short duration, your exposure probably didn't approach any 8-hour permissible exposure limit. Still, the best studies I've seen indicate that with many contaminants, cancer and other risks are increased and exacerbated with EVERY exposure, large or small. So it pays to limit such exposure as much as possible. You seem to disagree, and that's absolutely fine.

    You're a cyclist. So am I. We enjoy the same pastime. I care about you and about all who ride these things for pleasure, training and sport. And I personally think that tolerating retarded stunts from cowboy cowards is not appropriate.

    I could be wrong. Sleep well.
    There was no dose. He did it as he took off from a stop and went around a left turn. We could see it but it was not like a cloud engulfed us or anything. The guy was a douche and there are lots of them. There was nothing any of us could have done about it, and no one was hurt. At that point, the heat and the climbs were peoples concern.

  13. #63
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    Mmm. Well. Let me tell you. You and your friends took a dose today. And you took that dose deep into your tired, laboring lungs. Because of the short duration, your exposure probably didn't approach any 8-hour permissible exposure limit. Still, the best studies I've seen indicate that with many contaminants, cancer and other risks are increased and exacerbated with EVERY exposure, large or small. So it pays to limit such exposure as much as possible. You seem to disagree, and that's absolutely fine.

    You're a cyclist. So am I. We enjoy the same pastime. I care about you and about all who ride these things for pleasure, training and sport. And I personally think that tolerating retarded stunts from cowboy cowards is not appropriate.

    I could be wrong. Sleep well.
    I agree with your point on spec, but honestly, I don't even think the toxicity of the fumes is even the primary issue. I think that this is a potentially dangerous pass time that motorists are doing and not doing anything about it, could mean that it will proliferate.

    I honestly don't quite understand why some are trivializing the potential danger of this Goober-stunt.

  14. #64
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    Etc. These effers don't deserve to live, much less get away with this schit. They're small-minded cowards. Negative reinforcement becomes the only cure. Gimme an amen.
    Those effers, as you call them, feel the same way about cyclists; you have sunk to their level.

    There are those who would say that they won.
    Too old to ride plastic

  15. #65
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,857
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
    I agree with your point on spec, but honestly, I don't even think the toxicity of the fumes is even the primary issue. I think that this is a potentially dangerous pass time that motorists are doing and not doing anything about it, could mean that it will proliferate.

    I honestly don't quite understand why some are trivializing the potential danger of this Goober-stunt.
    Until it becomes a hate crime it ain't nothing but a show of ignorance.
    Too old to ride plastic

  16. #66
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    Mmm. Well. Let me tell you. You and your friends took a dose today. And you took that dose deep into your tired, laboring lungs. Because of the short duration, your exposure probably didn't approach any 8-hour permissible exposure limit. Still, the best studies I've seen indicate that with many contaminants, cancer and other risks are increased and exacerbated with EVERY exposure, large or small. So it pays to limit such exposure as much as possible. You seem to disagree, and that's absolutely fine.

    You're a cyclist. So am I. We enjoy the same pastime. I care about you and about all who ride these things for pleasure, training and sport. And I personally think that tolerating retarded stunts from cowboy cowards is not appropriate.

    I could be wrong. Sleep well.
    following your own logic, in lack of a better word, you should not ride at all around cars due to the exposure. You'll suck in more sh!t from the regular traffic than what one bonehead makes smoking you.
    So maybe you should follow your own advise and not go riding?
    Blows your hair back.

  17. #67
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    Well, absent your alternative solution - and you don't seem to be able to provide one - I suggest that when it happens to YOU, you simply wave weakly, smile bravely and utter softly . . .

    "Please, sir, may I have another?"
    Take a second to actually read the thread; plenty of ways have been suggested to report it instead of calling 911.
    Blows your hair back.

  18. #68
    untitled
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Those effers, as you call them, feel the same way about cyclists; you have sunk to their level.

    There are those who would say that they won.
    If you do nothing about it, they have. End of argument.
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  19. #69
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    Take a second to actually read the thread; plenty of ways have been suggested to report it instead of calling 911.
    Actually, the more I think about this, I have to I agree with you. I believe that these things should definitely be reported, but maybe sparing the 911 operators the extra work is probably a good thing. There are precincts, cops walking beats, cops in cars, cops doing a myriad of things, all of whom we can avail ourselves of without calling 911.

    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Until it becomes a hate crime it ain't nothing but a show of ignorance.
    I'm not willing to wait for it to escalate to that level. I see it as not only maliciously and mischievously invasive, but a possible danger on the road because of the potential to randomly interrupt your visual acuity as you're riding.

    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    following your own logic, in lack of a better word, you should not ride at all around cars due to the exposure. You'll suck in more sh!t from the regular traffic than what one bonehead makes smoking you.
    So maybe you should follow your own advise and not go riding?
    No, because one is a byproduct of internal combustion that is unavoidable and every cyclist chooses to endure because it is not an intentional thing or attack levied purposefully against cyclists, and the other is an intentional attack on your senses and a possibly dangerous one at that, particularly for inexperienced riders.

  20. #70
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    If you do nothing about it, they have. End of argument.
    In the case of yesterdays ride, what exactly should have been done about it? There was no video, no license plate was recorded. They was no injury to anyone. Just because someone is being a jerk, you have to report it? In an ideal world everyone is nice and polite. Unfortunately, thats not where we live. There are many idiots out there. Out riding on the public roads, I get yelled at, buzzed, cut off, whatever. Fortunately, I've never had anything thrown at me. Its a hazard that comes with the territory. In a case where some dude is just being a jerk, no one was harmed in any way, there is no need for overreaction.

  21. #71
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    If you do nothing about it, they have. End of argument.
    I thought that when you said that "those effers don't deserve to live" you were speaking of ending the argument.

    Strong talk over some rudeness.
    Too old to ride plastic

  22. #72
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,205
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post

    No, because one is a byproduct of internal combustion that is unavoidable and every cyclist chooses to endure because it is not an intentional thing or attack levied purposefully against cyclists, and the other is an intentional attack on your senses and a possibly dangerous one at that, particularly for inexperienced riders.
    given my lungs cannot distinguish under which circumstances the particles were emitted it is the same from a health point of view. If what tips the scale for your health is that amount of smoke you truly live in a privileged place. Radon from your house will have a larger impact.
    Blows your hair back.

  23. #73
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,333
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I thought that when you said that "those effers don't deserve to live" you were speaking of ending the argument.

    Strong talk over some rudeness.
    Looks like the high and mighty go nuts when they dont get their way. I replied a simple "nope" to that guys rant about calling the cops. He proceeded to troll more than a few one of my posts all over the board with the same reply. Comes across like a child who is mad he dosent get his way.
    He is on my ignore list now and received a well deserved red dot. He's really not fooling anyone with his upfront "nice guy" attitude then deciding that someone that offended him dosent deserve to live. Thats pretty low. I am done with this thread and playing into some peoples psycho rants.

  24. #74
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    You and your friends took a dose today.
    you seem sadly oblivious to the fact that every single ICE-powered vehicle that passes you is emitting particulates, SOx, NOx, etc...the coalers' smoke clouds are more visually obvious, but you're getting 'dosed' every time you ride in traffic of any type.

    it's a cold, cruel world out there...you might want to save some energy for truly important issues.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

  25. #75
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: crossracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,486
    I think the most important part of this is that todays video is getting better and better. I now ride with a gopro. From seeing other rolling coal incidents this one was very mild. Yes these people are asses, hopefully the video and the cameras keep them from escalating.

    Bill

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM
  3. lets get that awesome "teh lounge" kit rolling
    By Kaboom in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
  4. Photos/Video: Cycling The "Remarkable" Ride in Queenstown, New Zealand
    By steephill in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 02:57 AM
  5. Rolling resistances of "durable" vs "race" tires?
    By P.D.E. in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •