RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Rudy Project Ekynox?

I'm looking to purchase Rudy Project Ekynox but only two reviews in RBR. Anyone w/ experince with this product? Pros and cons? Does it keep the bugs (debris) out? Please share your thought(s). Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WAZCO; 06-15-2005 at 06:12 AM.

Adrenalina Italiana

Could you find a bigger picture of the Rudy's?

Seriously though,great glasses. I have this pair and about two of the newer version of the SX for smaller faces as these fit a little better and you don't seem to lose the peripheral vision that I experienced with the regular Ekynox.If it were me I would look a little harder at the SX version. The replacement lenses for the Ekynox are getting harder to find as I think these glasses are getting phased out,but I was able to pin some down through the warranty dept. so buy them in bulk when you find them.

You can't go wrong with these glasses however and I think you will be happy with them for years to come as they will last forever because they are bulletproof and the warranty dept is super and will go out of their way to help you.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Rydon

I just got some Rydon's they are awesome. I like them because they are a little less high.

No matter what you get can I suggest the Polar lenses you can get for your Enknox's. I've got them and they are really great.

banned
    I got broadsided by a car three years ago. I landed on my face. Laser surgery fixed that. My Ekynox glasses saved my eyes. The frame was scratched and one lens was scratched. That's it. Three years later, I still use that same frame. I have three pairs of these glasses. They replace lenses for free too.

Thumbs up to the Rudys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got a pair with three lens colors: smoke, yellow, and clear. I am sorry to say that I don't like them very much. They are heavy, they have an unusual shape, and they don't fit me very well. Most importantly, I lost a lot of periphial vision because they have a big frame. I have to really turn my head all the way around to see cars behind me because the frame on the bottom of the lens obscures the view. Overall, I would give them two thumbs down. On teh positive side, I do think they look way cool. So thery're good for style points.

FWIW, I replaced these with the Oakley M frame, clear lens. As much as I want to hate the M frame because they are LA's glasses, I like these much better: p-vision is not obscured and the glasses are light, and less expensive than the Ekynox.

Spicy Dumpling
    I have a pair of Freeons I love. I like the lack of a frame which gives better peripheral vision and sweat or water doesn't pool on the frame. You can't beat the lens warranty and service of Rudy. And they are durable. My pair fell out of my jersey on Sunday and I ran over the frame. The lens popped out but no real damage beyond a couple of scratches. Great glasses, try the Freeons or Rydons, they are better cycling glasses IMHO...

htb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I really like the Ekynox SX-- the standard Ekynox looks huge on everyone who wears them. The SX is a better size, and they provide great coverage. Peripheral vision is excellent, and I find them comfie. And i got them with a prescription lens (not inserts!) in "racing red" color-- very cool. The only complaint I have is that the back of the temple piece bumps against my helmet strap when I look straight down- I'm too lazy to readjust the helmet straps to fix this.

banned
    Converting a picture to a web-friendly format is easy. Reduce the resolution of the image to 72-100 ppi, or so, then make the widest dimension about 600 pixels....or roughly six inches. There is freeware all over that will do this if you don't have software that will manage this.

The image in this thread is too large and makes reading thread a p.i.a.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

That image was a link from Rudyprojectusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    Converting a picture to a web-friendly format is easy. Reduce the resolution of the image to 72-100 ppi, or so, then make the widest dimension about 600 pixels....or roughly six inches. There is freeware all over that will do this if you don't have software that will manage this.

The image in this thread is too large and makes reading thread a p.i.a.
    I'm not expert in HTML but I don't believe there's any control of image size when you're linking it from web-site. However, I have edit the post and removed the link and uploaded the image for your preference. ;-)

Thanks everyone for your imput. I will be testing all brands plus others at Excelsports this weekend.
    Last edited by WAZCO; 06-15-2005 at 06:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I'll echo some of the pro's & con's mentioned here.

I have a set of Ekynox and like them a lot. They are really meant for big faces. Fantastic wind protection, these are the only sunglasses that shield enough wind to where I can ski in them. Never really a problem with fogging.

The only issue is sweat. Since it does have a frame all the way around the lens, sweat can just pool up there a little. My other set of rudy's, kerosene's, don't have a frame below the lens. If sweat does fall on the glasses, it just rolls off.

I still really dig the ekynox' though, and use them more than my kerosene's.

Thumbs up for the warranty, I've dealt with them a bit and they've been very prompt.

banned
    Thumbs up for the SX. The regular version is freakin' huge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

ditto above

I love mine - I've got allergies and wear contacts, so I need to keep all the crud out of my eyes. They excel in this area. Really more like goggles than glasses.