RoadBikeReview Member

Rudy Project Hypermask Performance Review.

Spending the holiday season in Europe I made the unexpected purchase for one of these. Albeit it being the only gift I received (and by the grandparents I haven't seen in so long), I'm open to believing I was spoiled. Non-working student who's not necessarily doing great really shouldn't be getting such stuff. Blah. It's really not of my nature to have arbitrarily "high end" and expensive things, but I'm all welcome into seeing what it's all about...

Got these silver ones at 145, which = ~187 USD on the day of purchase, December 31, 2011. Not bad considering the same pair goes for $205 before shipping at e-rudy. Originally wanted Briko glasses for the sake of being in Italy, but this was the best option (and still Italian).

=

When I saw these online, I would've held out for the ImpactX lens models or the green ones I was attracted to, but in person these silver ones are attractive. Had a bit of an alien-like charm to them imo. Very reflective lens (see later photo) and quite frankly I mainly have the need for well-tinted "Laser Black" lenses (listed to have 9.7% trasmission).

I'm making this review not only to show off my new bling equipment but there is somewhat of a rise for the liking of rimless cycling eyewear, especially for the time trialist and people who are low in the drops. I know the Smith Pivlock is a favorite in this niche and probably the leading rival to these Hypermasks (Performance). The idea of the frameless lens, and the minimalist/lightweight approach just appealed to me instantly. Really screamed "for cycling - with no compromises.

My previous (well, they're still around) glasses were Tifosi Logics. Main complaint with those was that the bottom of the lens hovered so far from my face. No wind got through, but it felt awkward. The Hypermask Performance fits much closer - like a "mask" - and is noticeably lighter, even before the removal of the "Brow Interface".

However, one problem struck in the fit department: As far as I know the temples/arms are not adjustable. Doesn't help that I have a narrow face. Seemed like it worked out when just adjusting the nosepiece in the meantime - a week before I actually got on the bike. Nonetheless going over the helmet strap kept things snug enough.

The main feature, visibility, is there for sure. Eyes can move anywhere and visibility is as far as your eyes could rotate.On those occasions where the glasses slip down (due to a major bump in the road or whatnot), the Brow Interface starts to become Brow Interference. But that could well just be me. I don't know, I habitually get cross-eyed and mind it too much when that happens. The given dark tint lens does its job, but it's not as dark as my Tifosi's (with the AC Red lens).

In truth, I think I would've done without the Brow Interface, but it leaves the mounting holes exposed on the lenses as well as a dip in the lens profile. I'm one who doesn't sweat much on the head or experience fogging so I don't know what it could do for me. In fact if the comparison to the regular Hypermask had to be made, I think one of the only differences the Performance model brings is that piece. Nonetheless they cost the same according to the e-rudy store. The only other difference is that the Performance model has different frame and lens color options, including their top-of-the-line ImpactX lens for another $20.

The same shop I bought the Hypermask Performance's from had the Sportmask which better-delivered that sense of being entirely bare-bones and cycling focused (I think it was lighter and thinner), and had me get into the idea of a frameless lens in the first place. However the price wasn't right and accounts of bad durability (which was the reason the Hypermask came to be) kept me away. ***Also, a key thing for Sportmask owners: I found the Hypermask to be more snug. I'm pretty sure I'd report the Sportmask falling off completely during the ride if I went with them.***

In the case I'd get different lenses (at a whopping 110-130 USD for the Performance ones; 90 USD for the regular), maybe they'll be regular Hypermask versions.

tl;dr Pros and Cons: Rudy Project Hypermask Performance
    +pretty much the best visibility you can get
    +light weight
    +maybe as "cycling focused" as eyewear can get.
    +you can be that guy that didn't drop the bills on Oakley's
    -non-adjustible arms
    -not for the narrow faces
    -the other frameless competitior, the Smith Pivlock V2 costs so much less and has adjustable arms EDIT: I was mistaken, they don't. Sorry about that
    -now I need a fancier helmet to go with it

Verdict: No regrets and I still giggle when I take them out of the case. As a recommendation I think the regular Hypermask is better if the lens options suit you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ventruck; 07-02-2012 at 01:35 AM.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Body Glove > Rudy.

Nice review, you should work at competitive cyclist. You have a knack for making a product into a novel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for sharing!! very nice review :P

Just Plain Bitter
    Nice review! Wear them in good health!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member

Follow up: ImpactX Photochromic Laser Racing Red Replacement Lenses

Freakin' long name for some lenses but yeah, more to say about these Hypermasks in a follow-up review regarding the swapping ability and lenses themselves...btw, long overdue thanks for the compliments. I kinda left things hanging to keep the discussion on this thread focused for any questions about the review. Perhaps I'll condense the OP and this review into one for the review section later.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    Took the plunge in the investment after experimenting with some used Rudy Project Freeons (I believe the predecessors to the Rydons...which precede the current Rydon II's) with the Racing Red lenses for a couple of weeks. Was turned on about these particular lenses beforehand in regards to the claimed durability and lifetime warranty of ImpactX stuff, and the apparent discounts one could get at E-Rudy. Just boiled down to whether or not I was personally hot on the red tint itself. Evidently I was/am, and we all know red = faster.

Swapping the arms wasn't a mystery despite the lack of instructions. Just pivot the arms upward with a some force (if less the glasses would've asploded while riding). Swapping the "Brow Interface" however was a total ***** for no good reason. I don't even know how I got it on the new lenses in the end. That struggle I guess attested to the durability of ImpactX, and established my ownership of the lenses with the bazillion fingerprints I left before cleaning. Seemed like I was about to break the Brow Interface before the lenses.

The photochromic performance was unarguably great. Unfortunately, I can't draw comparisons to other high-end brand photochromic eyewear, as all I've had with such a feature were some Scattante's that well...worked. Pics are attached to exhibit the supposed 15-49% transition in light transmission. I thought the lenses adjusted timely as I went from broad daylight to passing under shaded sections and vice versa. Between the darkest 15% LT and the original smoke lens's 9% LT, there's no perceivable difference when it comes to eye strain.

General clarity with the red tint is awesome imo. In a scary way, it's hard to believe something can appear in better definition through a lens than the naked eye. The lenses just seem so much more practical imo than the smoke lenses. I can spot the pesky caterpillars trying to migrate across the road these days. But I think the final word is personal preference. I hate blue tints because they remind me of when I'm in desperation in the final stretch of a long ride - I personally starting see blue flashes when fatigued in general or see a really bright light.

Can't really say I'm going to put the ImpactX lenses to the test of durability. You can go see them get smashed with a hammer at the Rudy Project website. I just hope they come through when/if the time comes. Also, it's claimed that ImpactX is lighter than other common materials by at least 10%. I don't have the weight scale to attest to that, but I don't want to wrangle that Brow Interface on again.

The direct Rudy Project comparison with the also-recently acquired Freeons I mentioned kinda takes things further in depth in regards to the Hypermask itself. The Freeons definitely fit more snug with their adjustable temples. However, the frameless design and apparent shape of the lens (bottom isn't too close to the face) of the Hypermask make it less noticeable that my face is actually a bit crooked.

On a final note, E-Rudy was easy to deal with. Lenses came in a tissue-box-sized box for security, with a lens sleeve and Rudy Project lens feature booklet. San Clemente, CA to San Francisco unsurprisingly took two days from dispatch. Like a moreon I ordered on Saturday night. Curious about how that ImpactX warranty is supposed to work. I just have the receipt both on paper and electronically.

So in conclusion. pricey glasses further invested upon. I honestly couldn't be convinced about doing making this investment in hindsight before trying it. Would've been pretty content with the Tifosi Logics I was already using or the Rudy Freeon's I probably would've stumbled upon anyway. Really circumstantial as I got the Hypermasks as a gift to start.

Pics of the photochromibility (making up words), and obligatory douchey pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rudy Project Hypermask Performance Review.-0502121634-00.jpg   Rudy Project Hypermask Performance Review.-0502121553-00.jpg   Rudy Project Hypermask Performance Review.-0502121554-00.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Oh crap is it too late to give you the 40% off code:
    2alpha

???

sorry,
    but would they be worth it for $143 USD?
    Last edited by ziscwg; 05-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Oh crap is it too late to give you the 40% off code:
    2alpha

???

sorry,
    but would they be worth it for $143 USD?
    I used "2alpha" which knocked off 30% off my recently purchased ImpactX lenses. The "CoreyBurton" code knocked off 40% of them, but I thought I'd think it over for another day and missed the opportunity there.

For $143 USD, I'd only say it's worth it knowing how well I've gotten along with them. I'm not sure if that price reflects the ImpactX supplied version which costs another $20 above normal retail. Knowing my own preferences, I probably would've gone for the ImpactX supplied version of the glasses off the bat if I could.

Even with that discount, I would also take a look at the then similarly-priced and designed Smith Pivlock, which has adjustable temples and multiple lenses off the bat. Only exclusive points about the Hypermask in comparison would be particular lens preference and subjective fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    I used "2alpha" which knocked off 30% off my recently purchased ImpactX lenses. The "CoreyBurton" code knocked off 40% of them, but I thought I'd think it over for another day and missed the opportunity there.

For $143 USD, I'd only say it's worth it knowing how well I've gotten along with them. I'm not sure if that price reflects the ImpactX supplied version which costs another $20 above normal retail. Knowing my own preferences, I probably would've gone for the ImpactX supplied version of the glasses off the bat if I could.

Even with that discount, I would also take a look at the then similarly-priced and designed Smith Pivlock, which has adjustable temples and multiple lenses off the bat. Only exclusive points about the Hypermask in comparison would be particular lens preference and subjective fit.
    I liked the Pivlocks too. The issue I have with Smith is the replacement lenses. They are steep. Rudy replacements are $20 for any lens. So, pay now or pay later, LOL. If you are really good about your lens care, you could go smith and hope you don't get a rock in the lens. I mtn bike too, so flying rocks in races are kind of normal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I liked the Pivlocks too. The issue I have with Smith is the replacement lenses. They are steep. Rudy replacements are $20 for any lens. So, pay now or pay later, LOL. If you are really good about your lens care, you could go smith and hope you don't get a rock in the lens. I mtn bike too, so flying rocks in races are kind of normal.
    You sure about that? Because before discount, my ImpactX lenses for the Hypermask were 104.99 USD, and looking at the Smith website I see the Pivlock lenses at 40 USD.

Hanging 10 bra
    We are sponsored by Rudy so we get a very very nice team discount. I bought a pair of these glasses and really love them from blocking out the wind and form fitting on your face. However, my first pair lense cracked from spreading them too wide to go over my helmet straps. After further investigation, it seems this is a known issue from others. I have since, bought another pair and ordered another lense to replace the cracked one. I still love the glasses, I will just be a "fred" and have my straps over my sunglass arms haha...in hopes not to break the lense again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    You sure about that? Because before discount, my ImpactX lenses for the Hypermask were 104.99 USD, and looking at the Smith website I see the Pivlock lenses at 40 USD.
    Well, they have come down a bit then. I switched to Rudy a few yrs back when Smith stopped making the lenses I had.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzj View Post
    We are sponsored by Rudy so we get a very very nice team discount. I bought a pair of these glasses and really love them from blocking out the wind and form fitting on your face. However, my first pair lense cracked from spreading them too wide to go over my helmet straps. After further investigation, it seems this is a known issue from others. I have since, bought another pair and ordered another lense to replace the cracked one. I still love the glasses, I will just be a "fred" and have my straps over my sunglass arms haha...in hopes not to break the lense again.
    Wow, never heard of the Hypermask lenses cracking...then again I don't know anyone outside of teh internets who has a pair apart from me - and I've got a narrowish face to ever realize such a problem.

I know the Sportmask had such issues (which led to the creation of the Hypermask). As I said in the OP, they seemed to be very thin overall in comparison.

Hanging 10 bra
    Yeah I guess I am rough on them or something, however I was told by Rudy to send them back and they will take care of me. I have the box in my hand and excited to have a spare set soon! I also use the Genetyk glasses too, but decided the Hypermask work better for cycling.

RoadBikeReview Member

And herpty derp, I have Pivlocks - and time on my hands...(EDITED)

*** edited the final part of this review after some longer term use, being able to better determine some functional differences as opposed to just aesthetics

Bumping this thread as I specifically mentioned the Smith Pivlocks in the OP as the ideal comparison to the Hypermasks. I ended up with a used pair of V90 Max's. Got no idea when I'll transfer to the actual review section, but of course feel free to ask anything. Reason why I posted this in the forum in the first place.

The fit is more snug, which is a key point for the smaller head. The Pivlock fits closer to the face. I have high cheekbones but even the larger Max lenses didn't give me real problems. The Hypermask on the other hand is spaced out a bit - like it's working as a TT visor, although it's not that far from the face. Either way both frame/lens designs provide a totally unobstructed view. I'll admit that at the time of the OP I was being a cross-eyed dumb*** and that the Hypermask Brow Interface really doesn't get in the way anymore.

The V90's have fixed temples and nosepads, whereas the Hypermask has an adjustable nosepiece. Sadly I have a loser nose that has me pushing up either pair regardless.Supposedly the Pivlock V2 lenses (with the adjustable nosepads) are interchangeable with the V90, which I might exploit in the future since I prefer the thinner look of the V90 frames.

On the note of lenses, both brands use some form of polycarbonate except if you opt for Rudy's presumably more advanced Impact X lenses. As I may have mentioned earlier, the Pivlock has 3 lenses as opposed to the Rudy's single (although replaceable). I guess the counter argument is that some cyclists only want one particular lens, which is kinda my case. I heavily favor Rudy's Photochromic Laser Racing Red over anything.

*one note I would make is that the Yellow Mirror (which are supposed to be smoke tint) lenses on the Pivlocks are what I found to have a minor red tint. The smoke lens on the Hypermasks had a truer gray tint. I have no camera to really exhibit the difference but it's there. It's no big deal either, just a small note from observation.

But on the note of red lenses, one of the included lenses of the V90 is "Ignitor" (32% LT), which is their red lens option. In comparison to Rudy's regular Laser Red (28% LT; I have a Rudy Freeon pair with this lens) there's more of a blue-biased tint as opposed to yellow/orange. Regardless the contrast enhancement of both lenses has been great. Optical clarity in general with either brand is perceptibly equal as well. The slight upper hand to my Hypermask would only be that they're photochromic. Enforces the notion I'd only rely on a single lens for all my daytime cycling needs.

Finish of both pairs are equal. Both frames are made of Grilamid TR90. The cutout frames of the Pivlock are flexible when squeezed but nowhere near flimsy. The Pivlock hinges are secured with the familiar Philips head screws you'd find on many glasses whereas the Hypermask hinges are held together with flat head screws. Lens swapping is far easier on the Pivlock and imo the design looks smarter. The Hypermask has two clip points while the Pivlock uses a hinge up top to then work in conjunction with a single clipping point. Makes you feel more ensured that you secured the frames to the lenses correctly It literally took me at least 20 minutes to get the frames and ****ing Brow Interface on my new Hypermask lenses. Maybe it's that specially handmade (there weren't many spare lenses in stock at e-rudy.com) process that made the tolerances very tight. Meh...

I think it's easy to then say that the Smiths are the better choice for the money. Seems like right down to the screws they're favorable. And I hate to say it as I've made a huge investment in the Hypermask, but they are. More colors to pick from as well. Based off MSRP: the Pivlock V90's come in at 139USD +40USD or any spare lens per Smith's website, while the Hypermask Performance comes in at 205-230USD + 65-105USD for spare lenses which aren't provided in the first place.

So what justice can I make for the Rudy's? It'll probably have to be matter of particular fit and aesthetic taste. Made in Italy if that gets you going. I noticed after more (and longer) rides that the Pivlock lens really rubs the eyebrows - leaving unpleasant smudges on the lens. It's not a big deal as pretty much everyone's eyebrows wouldn't be in first-person view. But aside from that, I do find myself having the wipe the Pivlock lens more often than I do the Hypermask for whatever reason. Perhaps that "Brow Interface" really does go to work because aside from keeping the eyebrows off the lens, I have never fogged up the Hypermask lenses, even when stopping after a hard ride. Another small nod to the Rudy is the wind blocking. Bit unexpected as it would seem the Pivlocks have the better coverage but I do feel air passing right through the nosepiece section. This of course could just be attributed to my narrow nose.

Overall, Smiths are definitely the far superior value choice. Only time will tell which pair would do a better job at saving my eyes. And while I'd be taking the Smith in the case I had to start all over, I love both pairs.

As you can see in the pics, the V90 max lens is bigger than the Hypermask lens. I didn't make out a difference in visual range though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rudy Project Hypermask Performance Review.-20120619165732.jpg   Rudy Project Hypermask Performance Review.-20120619165730.jpg  
    Last edited by Ventruck; 07-29-2012 at 04:00 PM.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    I do like my V90 Pivlock's but have found that compared to my Jawbones I get a LOT more sweat running down the lens off of my forehead.
    That is the only negative I have for them.
    I have had several pair of Smith's and have always regarded them highly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTR View Post
    I do like my V90 Pivlock's but have found that compared to my Jawbones I get a LOT more sweat running down the lens off of my forehead.
    That is the only negative I have for them.
    I have had several pair of Smith's and have always regarded them highly.
    Yeah, the "high maintenance" of the V90s is annoying. It's what made me change my belief about the ideal cycling eyewear design (now half-rim instead of rimeless). There needs to be something to deal with the sweat and facial contact. The Rudys get away with it as previously mentioned with that brow interface.

Can't say I'm even close to thinking of abandoning Pivlocks though. They'll do their job, the swapping system is imo the best in the market, and Smith warranty in my experience has been incredible. They just need to make something like Rudy's brow interface and they're closer to perfection.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    Agreed about the lens swapping.
    Can knock that over in less than a minute (vs a lot of mucking around with Radar's).
    The sweat thing really hit me when I suddenly had sweat running across in front of my eyes while at speed in rider traffic during the last lap of a crit race.