RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015

Saddle advice: Phenom or Montrose for longer rides.

Currently using a Selle Italia Man Gel Flow.

It's a great saddle and fits me well, but I start to get sore at ~40 miles.

Looking for a firmer saddle and have narrowed down to a Specialized Phenom or a Bontrager Montrose.

I'm more of an endurance-type rider, and would like to start doing 75-100 mile rides. I do about 50-60miles now, 2x a week.

Unfortunately, the Trek dealer in my area just closed. The Specialized dealer did not have the Phenom in stock, but they did give me a sit-bone measurement.

Anyone have experience with either saddle?

They seem similar and both have equally good reviews. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Phenom as it has a 'less racy' profile from what I've read.

Thanks!

Forever a Student
    Test.

They should have test saddles and programs.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    Currently using a Selle Italia Man Gel Flow.

It's a great saddle and fits me well, but I start to get sore at ~40 miles.

Looking for a firmer saddle and have narrowed down to a Specialized Phenom or a Bontrager Montrose.

I'm more of an endurance-type rider, and would like to start doing 75-100 mile rides. I do about 50-60miles now, 2x a week.

Unfortunately, the Trek dealer in my area just closed. The Specialized dealer did not have the Phenom in stock, but they did give me a sit-bone measurement.

Anyone have experience with either saddle?
    Whether someone has experience with either saddle may or may not bear any relevance to you. A saddle that one person hates may be perfect for someone else.

There are 7 factors in preventing saddle numbness and pain:

1) saddle adjustment - tilt angle is very important and very small changes are noticeable

2) sitting properly - a lot of people ride too far forward on the saddle. Your "sit bones" should be perched on the rear, wide part of the saddle

3) standing up - you should never let things go numb or get painful. At the first sign of any lack of feeling or pain, pedal standing up for a short distance and repeat as necessary to bring the feeling back and prevent further numbness

4) easing up - you want to lift your rear end off the saddle any time you are going to hit a bump or sharp edge. It's easier on your anatomy, your wheels, your tires, and the rest of your bike.

5) bike fit: in addition to saddle height and tilt, there is fore/aft adjustment, reach and drop to the bars, and cleat position.

6) tires: proper width with the right PSI for your weight and roads so you don't feel every single road imperfection.

7) saddle - there are some people who can ride most any saddle if it is properly adjusted (see #1) and there are some people who have problems with nearly any saddle. It's hard to predict which type you are. Work on 1-6 and if that doesn't help, THEN consider a new saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I'm facing the same problems. I got a Romin a couple of weeks ago and have done 3 30 mile rides and seemed happy at first but the last 2 rides I started having doubts. I did 100k yesterday and it was absolutely brutal. The Romin did eliminate the numbness from my "area" but my sit bones were hurting badly.
    I went straight from the ride to my LBS he recommended a bike fit, but I'm having my doubts that it's going to help.
    I've never been this sore after a ride, today my sit bones are still extremely sore and have actual bruises on my ass. At 5'9" 140lbs I have very little ass to begin with but there has to be a better option

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had the same results as you with the Phenom. I'm back to my old saddle, the regale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Backcountry.com (Competitive Cyclist I believe is offshoot) allows saddle return if done before 30 days. May I suggest Ergon? I'm saddle sensitive...I believe I just dont get off the thing enough and tend to sit forward as mentioned above.