RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

A safe cycling route from JFK, NYC to ultimately, Scranton PA

ALOHA to all.
    I am trying to plan a safe route on bike from JFK airport, ultimately to Scranton PA. I would be grateful for any input/recommendations for any legs of this journey. ie- from JFK into Jersey or southern NY, as a launch point to PA and to ultimately get to Scranton.

Also grateful for any names of bikes shops along the way.
    I am a vet, originally from Scranton, living in HI now.. and on a mission to get back home to see the family, and at the same time enjoy the beautiful tri state area on a green-powered-2 wheeled-machine.

MAHALO
    John O'Malley (Mr Sunshine)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    If you are intent on riding every inch of the way.....

You may run into issues attempting to get out of the terminal to a road within the airport that allows cycling but there are a bunch of those. Trouble is, the access roads to the terminals are not conducive to cycling and I suspect the Port Authority Police (they patrol the airports in the NYC area) would stop and write a ticket. The 2 main access roads to the terminals are the Van Wyck Expressway and the JFK Expressway. I'd be checking with the PA to determine if you can legally ride on any of the terminal access roads.

That said, if you can get as far as the North Service Road just south of the Federal Circle, you can ride thru the circle to Bergen Rd. then a right on 130 St. which loops west becoming Pan Am Blvd. Then a right on 119/Lefferts, over the Belt Parkway.

Then a choice - south along south Brooklyn or dive into Queens to Manhatten and over the GW Bridge.

Here's the S Brooklyn route:

But first, a choice depending on time of day. If rush hour, I'd ride the damned sidewalk west on N Conduit to a left on Cohancy St. If traffic is light, ride on N Conduit - a westbound 3 lane road with no shoulder and traffic doing 60. Your call. It's about 3/4 mile between Lefferts and Cohancy

Once on Cohancy, cross the highway and an immediate right on 155, first left on Huron, Right on 156, immediate left on 96th, down to 157th. Take 157th south to 84th St, a right and watch for the bike path on the left before the overpass. This is the Belt Bike Path that goes all the way south, 8 miles to Emmons Ave, at Knapp St in south Brooklyn. Note that there is construction on the path, but the path exists. There is also a wash out on the beach at Plum Beach, but it's rideable for the 100ft or so.

This all dumps you out into south Brooklyn. From there I'd head either into Coney Island and over the bike path that's along the harbor and that dumps you out in SW Brooklyn, then on-street bike lanes thru Brooklyn to the Brooklyn Bridge. Then head into lower Manhatten and down to the ferry's that head over to Sandy Hook, NJ. I'd then head west thru NJ to PA from Sandy Hook.

The alternative to south Brooklyn and the ferry is to use the NYC bike map to plan a route to the George Washington Bridge, crossing over to Ft Lee. At that point I'm out of idea's.

Or use the AirTrain at JFK to the Long Island Rail Road (You'd need a $5 bike pass which you can get via the mail), to Penn.. Station, then NJ Transit (another and different $5 bike pass) to a starting point in central NJ where you are out of the suburbs. Note that the commuter trains, LIRR and NJ Transit do not allow bikes on the trains during rush hour, generally it's OK from 10AM to 3PM.

Here's a RideWithGPS map of the JFK to Brooklyn section

JFK to Brooklyn - A bike ride in NYC, NY

And the NYC Bike Maps link

NYC Bike Maps: New York City's Bike Lanes and Bike Paths Mapped
    Last edited by Steve B.; 05-06-2013 at 04:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
    ALOHA to all.
    I am trying to plan a safe route on bike from JFK airport, ultimately to Scranton PA. I would be grateful for any input/recommendations for any legs of this journey. ie- from JFK into Jersey or southern NY, as a launch point to PA and to ultimately get to Scranton.

Also grateful for any names of bikes shops along the way.
    I am a vet, originally from Scranton, living in HI now.. and on a mission to get back home to see the family, and at the same time enjoy the beautiful tri state area on a green-powered-2 wheeled-machine.

MAHALO
    John O'Malley (Mr Sunshine)
    Getting out of JFk isn't bad. However, you need to take the air train to the rental car lot (free). From there, take a left then an immediate right onto a service road and follow for about 1/2 mile. There will be a bridge over the freeway and into a residential neighborhood. Thread your way west through varous neighborhoods. Prepare for a metric boatload of stop lights before you hit Manhattan. Cross the Brooklyn bridge and go to the far side of Manhattan. There is a nice bike path that runs the length of the island. After about 10 miles on that path (near 180th after a steep switchback)take the pedestrian overpass and head uphill to the GW bridge to New Jersey. That's all I got.

Count on about 3 hours from JFK to NJ.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Thanks Neal... much aloha to you!!

THANK YOU NEAL FOR THIS VALUABLE INFO!!!

QUOTE=nealric;4346802]Getting out of JFk isn't bad. However, you need to take the air train to the rental car lot (free). From there, take a left then an immediate right onto a service road and follow for about 1/2 mile. There will be a bridge over the freeway and into a residential neighborhood. Thread your way west through varous neighborhoods. Prepare for a metric boatload of stop lights before you hit Manhattan. Cross the Brooklyn bridge and go to the far side of Manhattan. There is a nice bike path that runs the length of the island. After about 10 miles on that path (near 180th after a steep switchback)take the pedestrian overpass and head uphill to the GW bridge to New Jersey. That's all I got.

Count on about 3 hours from JFK to NJ.[/QUOTE]

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Steve B, thank you SO MUCH for all your time and this great wealth of info.
    If you ever come to Hawaii... let me know and I will return fav

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
    Steve B, thank you SO MUCH for all your time and this great wealth of info.
    If you ever come to Hawaii... let me know and I will return fav
    You are welcome. I actually wrote up some of these directions way the hell back in 2000 and my post came up in a Google search, go figure. The JFK roads were actually part of my bike commute for a time when my alternative (a bridge to the beach in the Rockaways - south Queens) was under repair, thus I learned my way around JFK..

Neal's option is about as good, a bit shorter but does require you to navigate thru a huge chunk of NYC on (hopefully) bike friendly roads. The NYC bike map can help. The issue, once you get over the G W Bridge, is what then ?. I'm completely unfamiliar with riding in New Jersey and while the GWB to Scanton route is shorter, there's a lot more congested suburbs to navigate through. Which is why I suggested the ferry to Sandy Hook in NJ, as heading west from there is a bit less an issue on busy roads.

Seems like a fun trip though, so be adventurous and have a safe trip.