Thread: Schwinn Peloton

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

Schwinn Peloton

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie here on site and have a couple of questions for the experts and I know that there are few here. First off....how to I tell what year my Schwinn Peloton 853 is and what size is it? I just picked one up for my son and got what I think was a good deal out of Colorado for $250.00 for it. Is there a website that is dedicated to Schwinn Pelotons or any of the Scwhinn Paramounts that include the Peloton? Any help. Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubman View Post
    Hi everybody, I'm a newbie here on site and have a couple of questions for the experts and I know that there are few here. First off....how to I tell what year my Schwinn Peloton 853 is and what size is it? I just picked one up for my son and got what I think was a good deal out of Colorado for $250.00 for it. Is there a website that is dedicated to Schwinn Pelotons or any of the Scwhinn Paramounts that include the Peloton? Any help. Thanks in advance.
    Pelotons in 853 were around in the mid '80s. Pix would reveal more about component selection and closer estimates of year. The Peleton was the poor man's Paramount, basically.

Measure from BB spindle to top of top tube for size. Frames are measured in centimeters. Then see how the bike fits your son. A couple of months training and he'll beat you up the hills on that thing!

a real member's member
    please post a drive-side pic.

here's a good thread on the peloton 853:

Schwinn Peloton 853 questions
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Pelotons in 853 were around in the mid '80s.
    from what i've quickly read, the '80s pelotons were columbus, not 853.

Measure from BB spindle to top of top tube for size.
    for most of us, the top tube length is more important. there's only so much you can do with stem length, but the seatpost can more easily be maneuverered to the appropriate height.

your peloton has a slightly longer top tube than seat tube until seat tube sizing reaches 60cm on that particular model.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

What the Hell is going on

My 853 Peloton

I have a 853 Peloton. They are sweet rides (I prefer steel rides, BTW). She has a slightly shorter top tube than my Paramount but the wheelbase is the same. Makes for quick handling but not twitchy. I can feel comfortable in a crit and just as comfortable bombing Mt. Palomar. Here's a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwinn Peloton-schwinn-peloton.jpg  
    Last edited by JaeP; 1 Week Ago at 08:11 PM.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

What the Hell is going on
    don't know why I can't post a pic.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    don't know why I can't post a pic.
    a good way to do it is upload it to imgur, open your new imgur image in a new window (so you can easily copy its url file name), and then include that file name within "img" tags in your post.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    from what i've quickly read, the '80s pelotons were columbus, not 853.
    The Eighties Pelotons were of Columbus (SL/SP combinations) tubing, built in Japan--I ride one of these today.

But Schwinn used the Peloton nameplate into the Nineties, switching the tubing and fabrication locations:

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    I'm trying to figure out how to load some pics of the bike with Imgur but cant quite figure it out yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Once you have your image on Imgur. Place your curser on the image. You will see a drop down box next to the word copy. Click on "Get share links". Copy the one for "BBCode (Forums)" Then paste that on your reply.

Last edited by DennisM; 5 Days Ago at 04:41 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a good way to do it is upload it to imgur, open your new imgur image in a new window (so you can easily copy its url file name), and then include that file name within "img" tags in your post.
    Thanks by the way. I had not heard of this image site. I used to use tinypic, but it seems to be buggy at times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    I figured out one way to get the pictures uploaded, maybe not the best way but here they are. My son is real happy with the bike, its in very good condition with mostly Ultegra components. The rear derailleur is Dura Ace which I think was a common component to the bike at the time. It was recommended to me that we replace the front fork with steel but I'll let him decide that.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    Once you have your image in Imgur, place your curser on the image. You will see a drop down box next to the word, Copy. Click "Get share links." Copy the one for "BBCode (Forums)." Then paste that in your reply.
    that's a really good tip. thanks.

banned
    Jun 2018
    Yeah, this really helped. I was able to get the answer to my query. I had a question about wearing earrings when riding. This is because there was a time when it used to really annoy me as they would hurt my ear. So now I decided to just use studs instead of earrings. Helps me feel more free.
    Last edited by sandrajames; 2 Days Ago at 03:37 AM.