I'm a misanthropic man...

SE Lager build + review

I haven't had a fixed gear in a few years and wanted something cheap and fun that would fit wider tires and fenders. When I saw that citygrounds had SE Lager framesets on sale for $95, I did some research and jumped on the deal.

They quoted me $40 via email for shipping to NYC but when I ordered the frame, a seatpost, and lock ring I got free shipping on the whole order!

The frameset arrived on Thursday and I'm extremely happy for the price. Most of the reviews I found were for the complete bike so I thought I'd do a quick write up on my impressions of this admittedly cheap frame. I'll follow up with more pictures of the build and first ride impressions later today.

The good: For $95, I didn't expect much. I knew the fame was cro-mo and built in China but I hadn't found any other detailed descriptions. The frame was well packed and included were a brown Cane Creek headset and a nice seat collar. Paint is even and looks durable and the decals are easy to remove if I decide to go stealth. A head badge was included and prepped with double sided tape. It looks ok but I don't think I'll put it on. The bottom bracket threads were extremely clean and well cut and the seat tube was perfectly sized and smooth. The fork looks a lot better than I expected from the pictures I had seen ahead of time.

The bad: Not too much. The steerer tube on the fork was exactly the right length for me but may be a little short for someone who wants to run their stem high. One set of bottle bosses is enough for my purposes but why are they on the seat tube? Frame is obviously straight guage and feels pretty heavy. I don't have a scale and don't really care how much it weighs. There's paint in the threads of the bottle boss, rack, and fender eyelets but I was able to get bolts started without too much trouble.

The ugly: The welds. They are pretty ugly. Overall nothing that looks structurally problematic to my untrained eye but definitely lumpy, bumpy, uneven welds around the bottom bracket and so-so welds at the other major junctions. I actually had read a review that said the welds were nice so I was a little disappointed at this but I figure for the price I'm happy if it doesn't fall apart. I don't think that will be a problem as there is generally too much weld material rather than too little.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SE Lager build + review-dscn0317.jpg   SE Lager build + review-dscn0866.jpg   SE Lager build + review-dscn0865.jpg   SE Lager build + review-dscn0869.jpg  
    Last edited by Eben; 02-12-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Please move to Fixed/Single Speed

Sorry, should have double checked what forum I was in before posting!

The build

I have way too many spare parts so I was able to build the frame without much additional expense. The biggest ticket item were the wheels, Formula hubs to Open Pros, which I scored on eBay for a really good price. Add the seat post, lock ring, cog, and crankset and I'm at about $400 for the complete build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SE Lager build + review-dscn0323.jpg   SE Lager build + review-dscn0332.jpg   SE Lager build + review-dscn0327.jpg   SE Lager build + review-dscn0335.jpg   SE Lager build + review-dscn0336.jpg  

SE Lager build + review-dscn0328.jpg   SE Lager build + review-dscn0340.jpg  

Number10
    Jun 2006
    I've had my SE Lager now for over 3 years and absolutely love it. Picked it up as a complete bike of which the only thing I've changed is the stock bullhorns for a flatbar. Apart from that I give it a wash and lube now and then and it's set to go. I use it nearly daily as a commuter in all weather and it hasn't missed a beat.
    "Football is not a matter of life and death...it's more important than that"

"There's only two teams in Liverpool: Liverpool and Liverpool reserves"

- Bill Shankly, Liverpool manager 1959 - 1974

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks good. Welds indeed don't look so great, but it's not at the point where they'd distract an onlooker. Enjoy.

Posted some more pics and a write up from my first couple rides in fixed/single-speed:
    SE Lager Build + Review