Pathlete and Pedalphile

Sea sucker bike rack

Anyone familiar with or use one of these sea sucker bike racks? Pretty innovative but I wonder if anyone has ever lost a bike due to the cups losing suction.
    https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    I was a whisker away from buying one, until I "got scared" and bought a 1UpUsa instead. I'll never regret it.

Suction seems too scary.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I was a whisker away from buying one, until I "got scared" and bought a 1UpUsa instead. I'll never regret it.

Suction seems too scary.
    It would sure be hard to concentrate on driving while constantly looking in your mirrors to see if your bike is tumbling down the road. Online reviews on them are positive though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was thinking about getting one to put a bike in my truck's hard top bed cover. I haven't heard of any failing and/or a bike getting dropped yet.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

gazing from the shadows
    I'm sure they work fine.

Until they don't, and then the failure mode will be pretty severe. Given what a slight sealing problem might mean a couple years down the line, I'll pass on this design.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post

Suction seems too scary.
    Love my 1UP!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    I've had the Seasucker Talon for several years now and love it! Super easy to put on and take off without any damage to cars finish. I have a Camaro and there are very few non permanent bike racks for this vehicle. I will say I spent the first 6 months waiting for the bike to fly off at any minute but it never did. Mostly use it for quick trips with bike around town, but have taken many 1000- 2500 mile round trips with no concern. Driving from Cincinnati to Denver next week with no reservations. I've briefly done 120mph with bike on the roof in South Dakota and it held strong! Just make sure the surface and vacuum cups are clean and you're good to go. I use a detailing spray and micro fiber towel.

Ive even used it to pull a dent out of a car door!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sea sucker bike rack-img_2252.jpg  

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Solar123 View Post
    I've had the Seasucker Talon for several years now and love it! Super easy to put on and take off without any damage to cars finish. I have a Camaro and there are very few non permanent bike racks for this vehicle. I will say I spent the first 6 months waiting for the bike to fly off at any minute but it never did. Mostly use it for quick trips with bike around town, but have taken many 1000- 2500 mile round trips with no concern. Driving from Cincinnati to Denver next week with no reservations. I've briefly done 120mph with bike on the roof in South Dakota and it held strong! Just make sure the surface and vacuum cups are clean and you're good to go. I use a detailing spray and micro fiber towel.

Ive even used it to pull a dent out of a car door!
    Thanks for the info. I just bought a Nissan 370z and there's no way the bikes fitting in the back and nobody makes a rack specifically for this car. It looks like the sea sucker is the way to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    Thanks for the info. I just bought a Nissan 370z and there's no way the bikes fitting in the back and nobody makes a rack specifically for this car. It looks like the sea sucker is the way to go.
    It would work great for that car. I promise the only thing I don't like about it is how much attention it seems to attract! I routinely get approached by people asking about it, I've had people tailgate me, drive alongside me, and follow me to a parking spot, trying to figure it how it works. If you ever plan on leaving it unattended, I would recommend getting the cable anchor for the window or trunk.
    i have no affiliation with them btw....just one of those products you see and think, "why didn't I think of that!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I knew a guy who showed up to our shop rides for almost 2 years and he hand one on his M3 and had no complaints.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    After a lot of research I bought the bomber. Neither of our cars can use a standard trunk / hatchback rack as the spoilers above the hatchback prevent it. I did not want to spend the money to install a trailer hitch on a leased car. I realize the Seasucker can be used on any car so it is the most "Future Proof". It seems really well made, and assembly was very easy. The people at Seasucker are super nice to deal with too.
    I am planning on using the rack for the first time this coming Memorial Day Weekend, and will report back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not bad a price for one bike. For 2 bikes its a little expensive.

For 2 bikes a Kuat and hitch looks like a worry free, comparably priced alternative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    maybe. maybe not. I see plenty of pics on goggle of such an animal. Maybe it is like my Benz - no hitch made off the shelf, but can be fabricated to fit?

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    maybe. maybe not. I see plenty of pics on goggle of such an animal. Maybe it is like my Benz - no hitch made off the shelf, but can be fabricated to fit?

That's a 350z in your pic. I'm not sure how the 350 and 370 compare underneath but the 370 has a "fog light" in the center/bottom of rear bumper and the mufflers are right behind the bumper. It pretty much makes it impossible to weld any kind of hitch. I'm curious what rack is shown in your pic though. After reading a bunch of Amazon reviews and above posters experiences with the sea sucker, it seems its a pretty good rack, at least for a road bike and my application.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I have two concerns about the Sea Sucker bike rack:

1. I have heard that it will dent or damage the roof of the car where it is attached. That is, while it sticks well, it can deform the roof because it sticks well when it moves around.

2. I have also heard that it will discolor paint eventually.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCowboy View Post
    I have two concerns about the Sea Sucker bike rack

2. I have also heard that it will discolor paint eventually.
    I think if you leave any thing on your paint for an extended period of time it will discolor the paint due to fading around it.

There's another company selling bike racks that's almost identical called Palfa that has them on Ebay and Amazon - about half the price and ships from China. The source is a bit of a concern for me but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the parts for Seasucker come from China too, like the suction cup devices

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member

bedcover solution

Seasucker Mini bomber on our truck bed cover works pretty well. You can see the pump buttons in the mirror to check if they need re-pumpedSea sucker bike rack-img_1782.jpg

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Russian Troll Farmer
    I don't completely trust the fork mount on my Yakima (mostly on my one fork that doesn't have "lawyer lips"), so when I take a long trip, I also bungee-cord the frame down. I suppose you could do that with this. Certainly looks like an inexpensive solution.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"