Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    In 5 years and thousands of miles running tubeless, I have had one instance where I had to use a tube because the hole was too big to seal. I've had a few punctures where the sealant did it's job, and I kept riding. If the hole is too big, just patch on the inside and keep riding it. The positives outweigh the negatives for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since tubeless tires are designed to be ridden after small punctures are sealed, it should be just fine. I'd ride the crap out of it if it were me.

I'm a recent convert to tubeless tires since they came on my new Giant TCR.

At first I was a bit skeptical ... but less then 500 miles in, I've already had two punctures that sealed up with no issues and allowed me to continue riding. One was a small wire, the other a small object that actually lodged in the tire and I had to pull out with a small screwdriver (but sealed right up when removed).

Given I had about 14 flats this winter in about 20 rides ... have had two in the past two weeks (in dry weather) ... I'm likely to stick to tubeless tires. There is just a lot of road debris around here (glass, rocks left over from snow this winter, roofing staples, etc.).

I'll also say ... rolling resistance appears to be improved, though the ride is a bit rough with the stock Giant tires. I'm waiting for these to wear out, then replace with Bontrager R3 TLR's which should ride better and have just as good of puncture protection (maybe better).
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    they seal will hold for now, until the tire wears down along with the rubber, then the seal will be unsealed, and there is only a low chance that the unsealed hole would ever seal itself again. Always carry a spare tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like there is a divot out of the tread as well. Do you feel a thump as the tire goes around? If so, I'd call it junk. If not, the patch it and ride it!
    This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1 Timothy 1:15)

You can't spell Christmas, without Christ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12