Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Sealed hole in tubeless tire. Safe to use?

I've used this Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tire for two rides.
    Today, while looking at my bike, I noticed this hole, and sealant on my frame.
    So the hole sealed while I was riding (I remember running over something).

Is this still safe to ride on?

I'd like feedback from anyone who has had a similar experience.

Thanks,

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sealed hole in tubeless tire. Safe to use?-tire.jpg  
    At least I'm enjoying the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I'll be darned. I didn't realize they made tubeless tires for road bikes.

What you experienced is exactly what tubeless tires are supposed to do on mountain bikes though. I would say if that if the tire doesn't lose more air than normal over the next day or two, that the sealant did it's job and you're good to go.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say though (other than the typical "wrong forum" response).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wrong forum!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll be darned. I didn't realize they made tubeless tires for road bikes.
    Really? I thought you hung out around here more than that. They've been discussed a lot (usually in the "right" forum)
    Tubeless

gdtrfb, I have no experience with these, so I'll let those who do chime in. But I like your screen name and avatar.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    My vote: trash it. I know that's not what ya want to hear about a two-ride tire. But, that's a sizable hole - I mean... you can see the sealant through the hole.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=JCavilia;5145764]Really? I thought you hung out around here more than that. They've been discussed a lot (usually in the "right" forum)
    [URL="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels

I only come here for the Lounge with the occasional foray into PO and General.

My Specialized Allez/Ultegra is at least 12 years old and I have no plans to upgrade. Thus no need to follow any of the technical forums. I get all my MTB technology advice from the LBS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Boot it, tube it, and use it on the trainer.

Troll-ish....
    I'd put a small automotive plug in it.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Or a regular tube patch on the inside.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Second this. That tire has a lot of life with a plug.

Reference: running tubeless tires with plugs which are performing wonderfully.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Theymake cycling specific plugs (started for mtn biking, but would work in this situation).
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/i...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I had a puncture on my Schwalbe one. Sealed up and have done another 500+ miles on it with no issue.

Can also just dab some superglue in the hole from the outside. I've done that numerous times with other tires.

I love to climb!
    You could likely just keep riding it. But as others have already mentioned, they make bike specific plugs for tubeless tires.

Another option: take the tire off, clean the area on the inside with some rubbing alcohol and apply a tube patch to the tire. A a drop of super glue in the hole itself from the outside. Ride the tire for the rest of its normal useful life.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Don't they make proper patches for tubeless tires (not plugs)? If the sealant worked, the hole is not too big to patch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    remove the tire and use for indoor winter trainer riding... the exposed hole makes it easier for small foreign object to penetrate....
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    boot it and run a tube if you're skeered

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I've used tires until they wore out after getting that kind of puncture. Just make sure your stans is kept up to date.

My experience with Schwalbe One's is that you should expect that tire to be worn out in less than half the time on any other reputable tire. Apparently Schwalbe makes some good tires. That isn't one of them. They gave away any notion of durability for insignificant gains in grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by GDTRFB View Post
    I've used this Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tire for two rides.
    Today, while looking at my bike, I noticed this hole, and sealant on my frame.
    So the hole sealed while I was riding (I remember running over something).

Is this still safe to ride on?

I'd like feedback from anyone who has had a similar experience.

Thanks,

Peter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    remove the tire and use for indoor winter trainer riding... the exposed hole makes it easier for small foreign object to penetrate....

That one of those "one in a million kind of shot, doc" jokes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    If the sealant stopped the leak, then just ride it. No further repairs are necessary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My thought is that it depends on how you ride your bike. Are you riding at really high speeds or cornering at considerable speeds (think living in the mountains or racing crits)? If not, that plug should hold. What if it doesn't? Your remaining Stan's should seal it, just like before. If you do a considerable amount of descending or racing, I would do the following:

Remove tire, patch the inside, let dry, put Stan's in tire, reinstall the tire, use it without worry.

JTO
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Totally fine to use, depending on the sealant. If you're using Stan's (white sealant), it might not hold. If you're using OrangeSeal (orange sealant), then you're good to go.

If you want to be totally safe or you're using Stan's, unmount the tire, pick out the boogers around the hole (avoid the hole itself), clean the area with rubbing alcohol, then use a vulcanizing patch, like those for motorcycle tires. They're really cheap at any automotive store. As soon as the patch is on and somewhat set (a few minutes), reinflate the tire, so it conforms the the shape properly. The result will be stronger than the rest of the tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    a vulcanizing patch, .... They're really cheap at any automotive store.
    I don't think so, let me know where you can find a vulcanizing patch. Glued, yes; Vulcanizing, no.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

Ride on

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    Totally fine to use, depending on the sealant. If you're using Stan's (white sealant), it might not hold. If you're using OrangeSeal (orange sealant), then you're good to go.

If you want to be totally safe or you're using Stan's, unmount the tire, pick out the boogers around the hole (avoid the hole itself), clean the area with rubbing alcohol, then use a vulcanizing patch, like those for motorcycle tires. They're really cheap at any automotive store. As soon as the patch is on and somewhat set (a few minutes), reinflate the tire, so it conforms the the shape properly. The result will be stronger than the rest of the tire.
    Been running with multiple holes developed earlier last year. Friends have same situation. I and they are still riding on them this year. Larger holes that don't seal then use a plug. Ive got over 2k miles on my mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Small patch on the inside of the tire and ride it like you stole it!

Forget about the plug. They are good for a roadside repair, but not a permanent fix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That tire punctured again at least two more times. The holes wouldn't stay sealed. I replaced it with another of the same model and haven't had a problem. That had to have been a defective tire. I had multiple punctures, and even with big group rides I was the only one who punctured.
    At least I'm enjoying the ride.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I met a fellow today with the same issue, using a Schwalbe One tire. His tire looked like it had an irregular growth coming out of the tread. While he was riding the road pavement kept wearing the sealant off the hole and he had to keep stopping to pump up his tire.

I think that I will pass on both that tire and tubeless...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast