RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Seatbag on a carbon post

I'm a little bit worried about putting a seatbag on a carbon post. I'm worried that the velcro holder that goes around the seatpost will cause harm to the carbon. Does anyone use a seatbag/carbon setup like this? and has it caused any damage/wear from rubbing?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    No worries.. Carbon is very strong stuff....Don't give it a second thought.....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    i second that. you may see some small marks on the clear coat, but it won't cause any structural damage. relax and don't worry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My bags velcro caused the clear coat to get a satin finish where the velcro rubbed tinny scratches. Not a structural thing just cosmetics. It would do this to just about any finish. I stopped it by putting some sticky back felt on the velcro closure. appears to have stopped
    Can you hear the grasshopper at your feet?

carpe omnes
    "let them hate, so long as they fear"

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by normalnorm
    I'm a little bit worried about putting a seatbag on a carbon post. I'm worried that the velcro holder that goes around the seatpost will cause harm to the carbon. Does anyone use a seatbag/carbon setup like this? and has it caused any damage/wear from rubbing?

Carbon post + seatbag for four years. No problems.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

huge dork
    you trust it hold you up, but not your stuff?

sometimes our fascination with carbon fiber is just bizarre...
    The future will not belong to those who sit on the sidelines. The future will not belong to the cynics. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. ~ Sen. Paul Wellstone

Adrenalina Italiana
    I have carbon posts on all of my bikes...even one AX Lightness for gods sake and would never loose sleep over pairing it up with a saddle bag. If it bothers you,why don't you run some tape around the post where the bag 's velcro strap wraps around?
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Velcro is not a problem just don't get your carbon anywhere near Simple Green. It will eat right thru it.

Also, cold weather will make it brittle and leaving it in your car with the windows up in the summer can cause it to melt.

Otherwise you should be fine assuming it is not a specialized because they tend to explode while JRA.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    QUOTE=Lifelover]Velcro is not a problem just don't get your carbon anywhere near Simple Green. It will eat right thru it.
    .[/QUOTE]

QUOTE=Lifelover] Also, cold weather will make it brittle and leaving it in your car with the windows up in the summer can cause it to melt.
    [/QUOTE]

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/...es/9053.0.html

More seatpost follow-up
    Dear Readers,
    I have received a ton of mail about carbon fiber seatposts, bikes, solvents, paint removers, etc. this week related to last week's column. I will summarize a lot of them and give some broad answers.

djg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    I've had a Look carbon post on my main road bike for more than five years. A few different seatbags, no problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You won't have any problems using a normal seatbag with a carbon post. Now on the other hand, if it's a post mounted rack, you'll be getting a little friendlier than you expected with the seat tube.

Jack

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Whatever you do, don't get on the Boeing 787 when the airlines begin to take delivery in a few years.