Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    4

    Selection Anxiety

    New poster here from Lincoln, NE. Greetings all.

    Just spent the last couple months researching and stressing over purchasing a new ride to replace my 94 Trek 750 Multi-Trac.

    Had it narrowed down to two bikes; a 2016 Felt Z3 Disk Ultegra and a 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Ultegra Disk. They're both new bikes. While I've already made my choice, I'd like some feedback/opinions from the forum regarding what bike you all might have chosen between these two.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,565
    1) I'd ride them both and pick the one that felt the best.

    2) If they felt the same, I'd pick the newer one as they're spec'd the same.
    2a) Or I'd pick the one I thought looked better.
    2b) Or I'd pick the one if it had a 'significantly' lower price.

    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...lete-bike-2017
    Felt Z3 Disc Endurance Road Bike 2016 - bikesale.com

    I don't know if these are accurate, but it looks like the Ridley might be a pound lighter. That might influence my decision of (2).
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,932
    do you have any pictures so I can critique each one?

  4. #4
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,247
    Post should really be in 'bikes/frames/forks' but every new member and many old ones don't bother to find the proper section for their posts.

    That said I buy the Felt, American company with good warranty support. The Felt also has the Shimano crank which I prefer to the Rotor. Ultimately it should depend on the fit but they're probably pretty close, I didn't check.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hall View Post
    New poster here from Lincoln, NE. Greetings all.

    Just spent the last couple months researching and stressing over purchasing a new ride to replace my 94 Trek 750 Multi-Trac.

    Had it narrowed down to two bikes; a 2016 Felt Z3 Disk Ultegra and a 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Ultegra Disk. They're both new bikes. While I've already made my choice, I'd like some feedback/opinions from the forum regarding what bike you all might have chosen between these two.

    Thanks in advance.
    Alan,

    As a bonafide transplated American but living full-time Flandrian, we in the Benelux corridor---all racers, kermesse & otherwise, even including Eddy, would look you straight in the eye and tell you this:

    ...nix the Felt, and go with Ridley.


    End of discussion..

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post


    End of discussion..
    Come on, Belgian, donít overdo it.


    I live in the same area. I participated in a 4 day, 1000 km charity ride this weekend. About 1000 teams participated and we collected almost Ä 5 million for the fight against cancer.


    Iíve seen every brand of bike imaginable in the pelotons: Bianchi, Colnago, Pinarello, Cannondale, BMC, Cube, Canyon, ancient Diamant frames, Flanders, Sensa, Gazelle, Specialized, Scott, Trek, Museeuw, Merckx and so on and so on, and yes, Ridley. But Ridley wasnít the majority. Most popular brand was, in my totally unscientific opinion, Specialized.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,016
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    1) I'd ride them both and pick the one that felt the best.

    2) If they felt the same, I'd pick the newer one as they're spec'd the same.
    2a) Or I'd pick the one I thought looked better.
    2b) Or I'd pick the one if it had a 'significantly' lower price.

    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...lete-bike-2017
    Felt Z3 Disc Endurance Road Bike 2016 - bikesale.com

    I don't know if these are accurate, but it looks like the Ridley might be a pound lighter. That might influence my decision of (2).
    I 100% agree with this 1) above. Just pick the bike you like best and stop second guessing a whole bunch of stuff that probably want effort how the bike rides. Asking us to critique your choice is probably only going to make thing worse

  8. #8
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,137

    Selection Anxiety

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I 100% agree with this 1) above. Just pick the bike you like best and stop second guessing a whole bunch of stuff that probably want effort how the bike rides. Asking us to critique your choice is probably only going to make thing worse
    The OP said they already made their choice... which makes any opinions we might have even less relevant.

    When narrowing the field, I tend to go:

    1.) Price - if I canít afford it, nothing else matters
    2.) Fit/Comfort
    3.) Looks
    4.) Value

    In that order.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 05-13-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by HFroller View Post
    Come on, Belgian, donít overdo it.


    I live in the same area. I participated in a 4 day, 1000 km charity ride this weekend. About 1000 teams participated and we collected almost Ä 5 million for the fight against cancer.
    That's awesome. Congrats for participating and finishing.


    Quote Originally Posted by HFroller View Post
    Iíve seen every brand of bike imaginable in the pelotons: Bianchi, Colnago, Pinarello, Cannondale, BMC, Cube, Canyon, ancient Diamant frames, Flanders, Sensa, Gazelle, Specialized, Scott, Trek, Museeuw, Merckx and so on and so on, and yes, Ridley. But Ridley wasnít the majority. Most popular brand was, in my totally unscientific opinion, Specialized.
    The "Teams" I see are a bit different. As thus are the bikes. And Felt isn't one of them

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    798
    So what was the OP's choice that was already made?

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    So what was the OP's choice that was already made?
    I went with the Ridley for a few reasons. I believe it was a better value. Ridley has a better warranty on their frames. I also felt the customer service I received where I purchased the Ridely was better initially and will be better post purchase. FYI; I haven't ridden either of the bikes in question but have been dealing with online dealers. If I don't like the Ridley, I can ship it back for either credit or a full refund and will start the process anew at that point.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hall View Post
    I went with the Ridley for a few reasons. I believe it was a better value. Ridley has a better warranty on their frames. I also felt the customer service I received where I purchased the Ridely was better initially and will be better post purchase. FYI; I haven't ridden either of the bikes in question but have been dealing with online dealers. If I don't like the Ridley, I can ship it back for either credit or a full refund and will start the process anew at that point.
    Really, how could you not like it? I have a half a dozen late model road bikes all from different manufacturers and there isn't one of them I don't like.

    All are setup the same, by me, in terms of fit.

    I really fail to understand how someone could arbitrarily conclude a modern frame to be unsatisfactory unless they really don't have a clue and listen to dumb peoples opinions.

    All my bikes were purchased frame and fork only and I built them up from that point. I've made lots of adjustments and changes but as far as the frames go, they are all perfectly FINE!

    Learn how to fit yourself by trial and error, slowly making one change at a time and evaluating.

    It's very fun and easy.

    Sorry for the tough love but otherwise you're just gonna be chasing your tail !

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Really, how could you not like it? I have a half a dozen late model road bikes all from different manufacturers and there isn't one of them I don't like.

    All are setup the same, by me, in terms of fit.

    I really fail to understand how someone could arbitrarily conclude a modern frame to be unsatisfactory unless they really don't have a clue and listen to dumb peoples opinions.

    All my bikes were purchased frame and fork only and I built them up from that point. I've made lots of adjustments and changes but as far as the frames go, they are all perfectly FINE!

    Learn how to fit yourself by trial and error, slowly making one change at a time and evaluating.

    It's very fun and easy.

    Sorry for the tough love but otherwise you're just gonna be chasing your tail !
    How in the world did you draw the conclusion that I have made or will make any "arbitrary conclusions" about anything?

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hall View Post
    How in the world did you draw the conclusion that I have made or will make any "arbitrary conclusions" about anything?
    Get yourself a few cheap stems of different lengths, maybe a setback seatpost or a zero setback depending on what it comes with stock.

    Start playing around. If you notice something feels like it has too much pressure on it, make a decision and a change then go ride some more.

    It's all about your bodies relation to the cranks, after that it's reach and height to the bars. It's somewhat personal and going in for a "pro" fit

    isn't always going to be your best setup.

    Lots and Lots of little tweaks will get you where you need to be.

    You may think you hate the stock saddle when it could be caused by your seat being too far forward of the cranks.

    Never stop tweaking or twerking or whatever you kids call it these days.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hall View Post
    I went with the Ridley for a few reasons. I believe it was a better value. Ridley has a better warranty on their frames. I also felt the customer service I received where I purchased the Ridely was better initially and will be better post purchase. FYI; I haven't ridden either of the bikes in question but have been dealing with online dealers. If I don't like the Ridley, I can ship it back for either credit or a full refund and will start the process anew at that point.
    Then you won't know until you get on it and ride it.

    If you decide you like it, go to a shop and get fitted properly as that will increase your enjoyment on the bike, will make you more efficient, you will have less fatigue after long rides and you will be less likely to have a repetitive motion injury. A shop will most likely charge you somewhere around $100-200 for this service, but it's money well spent. You may even be able to get the price down a bit if you grovel to them about not buying the bike there.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein



  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    4
    All good advice. I've already established a bit of a relationship with a LBS and have alerted them to the fact I'm getting a mail order bike that I'll be bringing in for a fitting. The owner seemed super cool about working with me in any way he could to help me enjoy my new ride.

Similar Threads

  1. Facebook anxiety
    By AIE in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
  2. anxiety
    By DM.Aelis in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 02:50 PM
  3. Yakima King Cobra anxiety..........feedback anyone
    By billium in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 11:54 PM
  4. Roof rack anxiety...
    By waynesan76 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 06:16 AM
  5. Having first-road-race anxiety
    By filly in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.