RoadBikeReview Member

SELLE ITALIA SLR XP vs SELLE ITALIA SLR

SELLE ITALIA SLR XP vs SELLE ITALIA SLR

What's the difference between these two?

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    XP = eXtra Padding.
    The shape of thee XP is a little more rounded at the nose than the standard SLR as a result.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks! But I also noticed XP comes in 130mm whereas the regular SLR comes in 145mm. How does the extra padding fits in the narrower profile? I haven't tried riding on neither of those, just browsing through options (I ride a tri bike). What are your takes on those two and the Specialized Toupe? Thanks!

the_rydster
    I ride a XP and have done for about the last 18 months.

Personally I have found it like a bedboard at times, yet at other times I have hardly noticed it.

I have had one or two rides where I felt like I was sitting on a medieval torture device.

I am building up my new bike with a Gel SLC. I have been sold on the medical benefits of a cut out.

Tom
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyhankk
    Thanks! But I also noticed XP comes in 130mm whereas the regular SLR comes in 145mm. How does the extra padding fits in the narrower profile? I haven't tried riding on neither of those, just browsing through options (I ride a tri bike). What are your takes on those two and the Specialized Toupe? Thanks!
    This is incorrect. Both saddles are 131mm wide. The difference is the extra padding and Vanox rails on the XP. The regular SLR has Ti rails.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just bought a "Selle Italia SLR XP Gel Flow" last weekend. Put on 65 miles Sunday and it was fairly comfortable. This saddle has a cutout and a bit of gel and still is only 175g. A pretty good trade off in my opinion. I don't think I would want to run it on a Tri/TT bike. The nose is much too narrow. I have some kind of Sella Italia T1 variant for the TT bike which is OK. The nose is wider and more padded.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Tri vs. Road

I have a SLR XP on the road bike and a SLR T1 on the TT bike. I think the SLR XP is the most comfortable saddle I've owned but I wouldn't use it on a TT/tri bike. The SLR T1 is great for that seating position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

Slr Xp

I have a SLR XP on my bike, have done for around 3 years, I have done a couple of 200k rides and no real dramas with it, I had the SLR before it and changed for the fun of it.

cheers

Ralph

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kind of off topic, but what is up with the huge price increase on SLR saddles? I bought one last year for $85, but when looking for an extra one recently the lowest price I found was $135. I know the US dollar has tanked, but a 50% price increase in a year???

now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007
    Any suggestions for a place to pick up a white SLR on the cheap?

RoadBikeReview Member
    white ones are pretty popular. i think the easiest place to find it is ebay. retail stores are usually pretty expensive...or even craigslist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    probikekit had the cheapest white ones. Biketiresdirect also had some