RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Selle SMP Strike saddles - opinions and setup?

hello

i am looking for owner reviews/opinions on Selle SMP Strike saddles and if you are happy with it, how you set it up and how long to get used to it.

I am possibly looking to buy SMP Composit model with minimum padding (just leather cover, no other padding).

I am a male, 150lbs, 5' 8.5", fitness rider.

thanks in advance

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I test rode one...mounted on a Time VXRS! Lots of folks on this forum love the thing, and the owner of the saddle loved it, too, but in my 20 minute spin it felt like nothing so much as a very tiny, very hard toilet seat. I couldn't cotton to the dropped nose, either. I felt as if I'd fall off the front of the saddle if I even thought about ooching myself forward onto the proverbial rivet.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sharp
    Im a chick and have the Selles Stratos. http://www.sellesmp.com/en/stratos.htm

I have had no problem getting used to the dropped nose, in fact, when I first rode my mountain bike again with my Sella Italia seat, having a nose at the front felt really weird.

The massive cut-out area of the Strike design is a plus for me.

But the downside is the Stratos is damn hard where it contacts, not on my sit bones, no problem at all there, but where the front rises and contacts - if you look at the website tech pages, you can see theres little area to spread the load and minimal padding. I find I need to break it up with time out of the saddle.

The model you are looking at has no padding at all, which may suit male anatomy more than female.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Have been riding one for over a year

I really like mine (same as the one your are considering). Over a year on it and I am so grateful that I found this saddle. Before numbness was a major issue, not anymore. I tried the specialized Toupe (sp?) and found that to be pretty lame. I also find the Strike comfortable in general, although it is rather hard.

Team American Classic
    I have two and been riding them for about 18 months now. The only advice I can give is to measure the angles of the seat rails and start it about 2-3 degrees upward. You'll definitely know if you went too far. I especially like the drop nose after having an Arione that almost impaled me!

Flash

Fondriest Fanatic
    I bumped into a guy riding from Colorado to New York while at a family reunion in a Greensburg, Indiana park. I chatted with him a bit about his trip and bike. He was on a Scattante full carbon frame which he loved and also a SMP saddle. I've always been curious about those so I asked about it. He said it was one of the most comfortable seats he's ever had - comfortable riding 80 miles day after day on his trip. If I wasn't already happy with my San Marco Magma, I'd pick one up.

have fun,
    aaron

RoadBikeReview Member
    I might have to try one of those. I get some numbness on long rides in the cut out area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I have been very happy with the one I'm trying out. I went with padding though.
    This poster is an employee of

We Keep You Cycling