The Trollinator
    Apr 2008

Separating Grease and Carpet

Walked in without my cleat covers, evidently they were dirty enough to leave a trail of dark rings to the bathroom.

Suggestions?

Back from the dead
    And you were walking thru grease? It's probably just dirt.

My suggestion is to keep walking around the carpet until you have rings everywhere. Then no one will notice. If they do, tell them you are avant garde.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I use Spray 'N Wash (or equivalent) and water to get grease off my hands, carpet, and clothes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Kitchen cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by zriggle
    Walked in without my cleat covers, evidently they were dirty enough to leave a trail of dark rings to the bathroom.

Suggestions?
    I've had good luck with your standard kitchen all-purpose spray cleaner. Squirt on the spots, rub vigorously with a dishcloth, follow up with a wet (rinsed clean) dishcloth. Repeat if necessary.

BTW, bike shoes come off in the mud room and never touch the carpet. Lesson learned.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    If it is (was, in this case) white carpet, then you’re pretty much screwed. We got rid of our crappy-ass white carpeting and installed wood flooring.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    If it is (was, in this case) white carpet, then you’re pretty much screwed. We got rid of our crappy-ass white carpeting and installed wood flooring.
    White carpet? What were you smoking when you bought that?

I'd try full strength Simple Green. I use it in the laundry and it works great. If I get grease on a jersey, jacket, or whatever, I spray it with full strength SG, let it sit for a couple on minutes, then toss it in the washer.

I'd try it in an inconspicuous spot. Spray it on - leave it for a couple of mins. - scrub with a stiff brush, e.g. a nail brush - soak up with a paper towel.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    White carpet? What were you smoking when you bought that?
    Previous owner had installed it. They were the smokers, apparently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Simple Green

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Folex - I think you can get it at Wally World (Wal-mart) I had some black grease on the toe of my boot once. When I knelt down the grease got in the carpet...in a few spots before I noticed it. Spray on the Folex, rub vigorously, viola!

Low rep power
    Quote Originally Posted by kupe
    Folex - I think you can get it at Wally World (Wal-mart) I had some black grease on the toe of my boot once. When I knelt down the grease got in the carpet...in a few spots before I noticed it. Spray on the Folex, rub vigorously, viola!
    +1 My sister has some- great stuff for removing all kinds of crap from carpeting

RoadBikeReview Member
    +11 billion on Folex. That stuff can clean up anything. Grease, poo, barfaroni, mud, grass, coffee, etc, etc, etc...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I just keep my grease in the garage and my carpet in the living room. That's how I separate them.

Sorry.

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    +1

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I've never heard of Folex before. I'll have to try some. Is it safe to use on everything - or maybe I should ask what materials/fabrics is it NOT safe to use.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    hand cleaner works great.

RoadBikeReview Member

Lemon based carpet cleaner

When I lived in London the flat had a carpeted hallway in offwhite. No choice in the matter and my bikes were stored at one end. Lemon based carpet cleaner or spot remover worked just fine. I was there 6 years and when we left it looked like the day we arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by zriggle

Suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Separating Grease and Carpet-dscn8078-large-.jpg  
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Goo Gone has worked well for me. It is used to remove the glue gunk from lots of things. Cleans up the skin well too!!

Jim D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by desaljs View Post
    Goo Gone has worked well for me. It is used to remove the glue gunk from lots of things. Cleans up the skin well too!!

Jim D
    Does Citrus Orange Hand Cleaner work? I've still a big tub of it that I use for cleaning my hands after garage & house chores that involve grease, and I also use it on some of my road bike's bar tape (the bright ones) as it cleans them like new. But I wonder, if used on carpet, it would not only clean the grease out but also take the color out (or discolor it) permanently?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Its been 9 years guys --- the wife yelling is long past and he's probably replaced the carpet at this point.

a real member's member
    wd-40 quickly breaks up grease.

i do a lot of work on my bikes on the living room rug, and sometimes a little black grime drops on the rug. wd-40 breaks it up and a paper towel lifts it up.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.