RoadBikeReview Member

Sharp elbow pain while riding...

Thoughts?

This just started on my Sunday ride at around mile 17 or so and I stretched it out while riding and went away. Monday quick 8 miles after work and no issues, then I rode 8 miles after work again yesterday and the last 2 miles elbow starting with the sharp pain again.

Is this a posture issue? Elbows locked without me knowing?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by SlurpeeKing
    Is this a posture issue? Elbows locked without me knowing?
    That would be my guess....To correct a habit like that requires concentration while you are on the bike...been there done that, I finally broke the habit
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm going to concentrate on it today and see how it goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I'd actually guess the root cause is either lack of core strength or an unrelated injury. Generally you probably shouldn't have enough pressure coming through your arms to cause pain after 17 miles even with your elbows locked. And if the issue isn't to much pressure caused by your core not doing it's share of work......I wouldn't think pain would manifest itself after only 17 miles unless something was up with your elbow before you got on the bike.

Perhaps we're saying the same thing though. Because locking your elbows without knowing it would probably be caused by you needing to take a load off your back.
    Last edited by Hank Stamper; 02-03-2011 at 05:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    I'd actually guess the root cause is either lack of core strength or an unrelated injury. Generally you probably shouldn't have enough pressure coming through your arms to cause pain after 17 miles even with your elbows locked. And if the issue isn't to much pressure caused by your core not doing it's share of work......I wouldn't think pain would itself after only 17 miles uless something was up with your elbow before you got on the bike.

Perhaps we're saying the same thing though. Because locking your elbows without knowing it would probably be caused by you needing to take a load off your back.
    I did have tendonitis (tennis elbow) a few years back when I was in a raquetball league (2001-2003) and it's the same pain. Just trying to figure out how riding would cause it to come back. I have a rheumatologist appointment on 3/1 so I'm going to bring it up to her.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I watched you ride and yes your elbows are locked a lot.... Then again your bike might be to big for you and requiring you to "stretch"

I've got a couple ace bandages, lets try to wrap it this sunday.. Is this your way of telling me you won't ride this sunday? lol

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfed
    I watched you ride and yes your elbows are locked a lot.... Then again your bike might be to big for you and requiring you to "stretch"

I've got a couple ace bandages, lets try to wrap it this sunday.. Is this your way of telling me you won't ride this sunday? lol
    well there you have it!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member

you must be confused, I either ride at your back wheel (to speed you up) or a mile ahead of you (because of how slow you are) so how would you see my elbows locked, plus I was wearing a long sleeved shirt Sunday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    you must be confused, I either ride at your back wheel (to speed you up) or a mile ahead of you (because of how slow you are) so how would you see my elbows locked, plus I was wearing a long sleeved shirt Sunday.

Yea I know.. But my bike's also 97lbs and yours is like 19lbs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea I know.. But my bike's also 28lbs and yours is 23lbs
    Hmmmmmm

I keep up with road bikers all day long with their 4k dollar bikes..
    not the case anymore? LOFL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Hmmmmmm

not the case anymore? LOFL
    What can I say.. you're a masher

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you are locking your elbows it may be caused by an instability on the bike. Are you locking both or just one side?
    More than likely a fit issue.
    - The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large -
    08 iMac 24"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I would check your seat tilt. I was sliding off my seat slightly and it was causing my elbow and wrist to hurt after a while of riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    rode close to 50 miles this weekend with no issues or pain in me elbows. I concentrated on a nice riding position and it seemed to make all the difference.