Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Shaving the legs...

7K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  SPINDAWG 
#1 ·
I recently started shaving my legs and along with it has come the dreded razor burn.
The more uncomfortable sensation is that of the iching on my thighs right above my kness and under my knees. Does this go away, or will I have to keep shaving like every day to avoid the itchy sensation?

Thanks
Trevo

#2 ·
Shaving legs

I started shaving my legs a few months ago with some irritation. Your legs will get more used to it. You skin needs to "toughen up". My upper legs still get somewhat irritated but nothing bothersome. I learned to always shave up especially on the backs of your thighs otherwise you can get ingrown hairs. Use moisturizer if needed after you shave.

#3 ·
Trevo said:
I recently started shaving my legs and along with it has come the dreded razor burn.
The more uncomfortable sensation is that of the iching on my thighs right above my kness and under my knees. Does this go away, or will I have to keep shaving like every day to avoid the itchy sensation?

Thanks
Trevo

Honestly, ask a girl you know and trust to show you not only how she shaves her legs, but what products she uses to do so. Most guys don't shave their legs, so they don't know what products to use. Often they use the same stuff they use to shave their face with and then wonder why they get razor burn. Ask a woman for advice about skin care lotions and shaving gels and you may be better off. If you don't want to smell all nice and girly after shaving, look for the products they tell you to use in unscented or hypo-allergetic forms.

A big part of avoiding razor burn is the right technique and after-shave lotions.

Russ

#4 ·
The Funks tried and true leg shaving technique...

No no no, don't do what women do. Those crazy people shave with soap, or nothing at all because their hair is so thin and their skin is typically soft, plus they've likely shaved for years and years.. if you must shave... do the following.

Step 1: Get a Mach 3 razor. Since you are a newbie, don't shave with the new blade... instead shave your face a few times with it or run it up and down a bath towel to dull it a bit and take the sharp edge off, otherwise you increase the chances you will cut yourself.

Step 2. Do this in the bath, not the shower

Step 3. Use a lubricant that is thinner, rather than thicker. In fact, I use hair conditioner. If you use shaving cream, make sure it is plenty wet.

Step 4. Shave, try and go with the grain of hair as best possible

Step 5. After shaving, take a shower to rinse off (including bathtub). Get a loofa and lather it up with soap. Scrub your legs HARD. Particularly the spots (thighs, calves, and any part that gets itchy) that tend to get ingrowns.

Step 6 . After your shower do NOT put alcohol on it. You MIGHT consider a non-clogging astringent with salycitic acit, but it is not imperative.

Step 7. Once you dry your legs but on a lotion, preferrably one with no dyes or perfumes. Put lotion on before you go to bed as well.

Step 8. Every time you shower, use the loofa as described and scrub the bejeesus out of your legs. Follow with lotion. Repeat this and you will be fine. Exfoliation and the lotion are the key.

#6 ·
Move onto the next best thing - WAXING

Trevo said:

Thanks
Trevo
After my first year of shaving my legs, I just found out about waxing. YES, this is a much better solution to removing hair!!! If done correctly, there is little to no pain and waxing last a long time with no razor burn or two day stubble. If you have a partner to help (you do her legs, and she'll do yours), waxing can turn into a very intimate experience; much better than two people in close proximity with razor sharp implements!

Note of caution; get a good quality waxing kit and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

#7 ·
funknuggets said:
No no no, don't do what women do. Those crazy people shave with soap, or nothing at all because their hair is so thin and their skin is typically soft, plus they've likely shaved for years and years.. if you must shave... do the following.

Step 1: Get a Mach 3 razor. Since you are a newbie, don't shave with the new blade... instead shave your face a few times with it or run it up and down a bath towel to dull it a bit and take the sharp edge off, otherwise you increase the chances you will cut yourself.

Step 2. Do this in the bath, not the shower

Step 3. Use a lubricant that is thinner, rather than thicker. In fact, I use hair conditioner. If you use shaving cream, make sure it is plenty wet.

Step 4. Shave, try and go with the grain of hair as best possible

Step 5. After shaving, take a shower to rinse off (including bathtub). Get a loofa and lather it up with soap. Scrub your legs HARD. Particularly the spots (thighs, calves, and any part that gets itchy) that tend to get ingrowns.

Step 6 . After your shower do NOT put alcohol on it. You MIGHT consider a non-clogging astringent with salycitic acit, but it is not imperative.

Step 7. Once you dry your legs but on a lotion, preferrably one with no dyes or perfumes. Put lotion on before you go to bed as well.

Step 8. Every time you shower, use the loofa as described and scrub the bejeesus out of your legs. Follow with lotion. Repeat this and you will be fine. Exfoliation and the lotion are the key.

This may be the best shaving advice ever given on this site. Thank you!

#8 ·
Trevo said:

Thanks
Trevo
Ummm, are you planning on the Tour next year? If not, just forget shaving and join the rest of society.

#10 ·
asciibaron said:
05-11-2004

i think i was shaving that day...
How much digging of WHAT did it take to unearth this thread?:idea:

#12 ·
I had no idea shaving was sooooooooo difficult for you guys!

Its easy, loads of soap, get a women's razor (they're made to swivel and pivot), shave slowly and be aware of the contours of your legs...

Some mild moisturiser afterwards - though I usually use baby oil - but then my legs are apparently tough and don't need the special treatment you guys require. :p

Must remember this thread when my sons want to shave (though I will recommend waxing to them also - much better)

#13 ·
RoadRaven said:
I had no idea shaving was sooooooooo difficult for you guys!

Its easy, loads of soap, get a women's razor (they're made to swivel and pivot), shave slowly and be aware of the contours of your legs...

Some mild moisturiser afterwards - though I usually use baby oil - but then my legs are apparently tough and don't need the special treatment you guys require. :p

Must remember this thread when my sons want to shave (though I will recommend waxing to them also - much better)
It is difficult:cryin:

We have got this thick wiry hair that grows really quickly and is visible within 1-2 days.

As such we have to shave more often and higher on the leg.

This in addition to shaving our face.

We have it so hard.

Don't you feel sorry for us?:D

#16 ·
RoadRaven said:
Oh yeeeeesssss....:rolleyes:

At least you are allowed to have hairy armpits... and if you leave your moustache to grow, no worries, right?
And thick bushy eyebrows just make you rugged
And grey hair makes you distinguished

ROFLLMAO!!!

:D
Gotta trim the pits.... the hair pulls and they get all sore.
Trim the brows too. Guys with bushy brows aren't rugged, they're man-apes.

Gray hair/facial hair... yeah, we got it made on those.

What I can't understand is why do wimmens cut themselves so much? I've never cut my legs (or any other parts) shaving while my wife damn near bleeds out in the shower. She always used to say that shaving legs was SO much harder than the face. I have to say... NOT.

#17 ·
this whole concept just baffles me..I don't shave my face, I certainly ain't shaving my legs or anything else for that matter. For those of you who keep cutting themselves....there is always duct tape...press it on good and rip it off.....like waxing but cheaper.

#20 ·
girls...

hmm, i do use soap and water most of the time for quick touch-ups, but if i really want a good shave, i'd recommend aveeno products, really good for the skin and reduces irritation and razor bumps. use both the shaving cream and then the lotion afterwards, and works pretty well... and that's saying something since i have pretty sensitive skin and can't use anything overly scented or non-hypoallergenic!

btw, i don't get why people get so upset when others repost same issues or ask repeated questions without searching first... it might be a little annoying but you don't have to read or participate!

#22 ·
stevee said:
When I saw RussW (RIP Russ), I knew that Indiana Jones was at it again.
I did the same thing. Double took on RussW and then realized someone dredged this from the depths.

#24 ·
Great advice offered already,especially by Funknuggets,

start calling him shavemeister!

I usually take a bath on shave days to warm up the legs.I also find that the Mach 3 razor used with gel for sensitive skin works best.Also,shave with the grain of the hair. Lastly and most importantly,use a moisturizer afterwards.I use Aveeno,it moisturizes and most importantly helps you shave less often.

I usually have to shave the legs once a week and can get away with doing above the knees every two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.