Thread: Shoe fit help

RoadBikeReview Member

Shoe fit help

After the delaminated soles on the DMT's I've been looking. The moment I put the DMT shoes on, I knew it was excellent and in that regard, I've been pleased. Picked up some Diadoras to replace the others but they seem to be about 90% of the comfort of the DMT.

Tongue is a bit short and I can feel a bit of pressure from the upper strap just above the arch. I really won't know till I set them up but in so doing, I won't be able to return them.

I thought I knew how to fit them but I'm stuck. For all I know, that wee 10% may just kill me OTOH, it may not. Advise on how you gauge shoe fit?

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma601 View Post
    Advise on how you gauge shoe fit?
    I try them on.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most others I've tried it is obvious, toe box tight, to wide, heel doesn't fit, straps, buckles leave pressure points or arch is in wrong place. The short low padded tongue isn't as comfortable. Seems close but even after fiddling with these I still won't know till I've put the cleats on and gone for a ride. With that uncertainty and the cost, I'm not willing to gamble, they'll be returned.

I don't understand the tongues on recent shoes, little to no padding and short.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    There's no need to be stuck with a pair of shoes.

My trick is to wear them around the house only, for about a week. Of course, don't install the cleats; just put them on while reading or watching TV

Next, install the cleats and ride them on a trainer for a week or so if you must.

Between the two tests above, you should have a pretty good idea whether a pair of shoes is a keeper. If not, they should still be in pristine condition should you need to return them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Go back to the LBS and try as many models/brands that you can at that location or go to another LBS that has a large selection. Put the shoes on, stand up, and lift your heels slightly off the ground and hold in that position. Eventually either something about the shoe will feel uncomfortable or not. The tongue and arch pressure should have shown up using this technique so try it with your existing shoes and see if this works. I did this and a pair of Sidis and a pair of Diadora's on closeout felt great so I went with the white Diadora's with red accents that fit my color scheme perfectly. My Serotta trained fitter educated me on this technique. Ironically though, after that I noticed he was no longer wearing a pair of shoes he recently purchased and he admitted they hurt his feet. Guess he did not take his own advice. However it worked brilliantly for me as I had been trying on shoes for a long time until my fitter happened to see me trying on shoes and coached me in this method.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Do you think this delamination was a common problem with DMT shoes? Maybe you just got a bad pair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I thought returning shoes was somewhat of a challenge. Maybe online stores are easier on exchanges?

I am also mystified about proper fit. My feet were measure with a SIDI branded Brannock device and I am suppose to be a 43.5. Well the Genius 6.6 sizes must be a little different because a 45 fits me best. With the 44.5 my big toe will just barely touch the tip if I wiggle it around. Leaving a little bit of room requires a 45. Even a 45.5 would work well with minimal heal slippage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The shoe search has been challenging. Many shops carry Sidi and these shoes in the regular and Mega don't match-up with my feet. Shimano is the second most common, these as well are not quite right. The smaller boutique high end shops have limited selection so finding shoes for my smaller feet has been 40-41.

oldandtired: Do you think this delamination was a common problem with DMT shoes? Maybe you just got a bad pair.
    I've had three do this and it was just poorly made. First set was RMA'd, and while waiting for the RMA, I bought a back-up pair to be able to ride. Whomever made that model run for DMT was a thumb down. Gita offered a trade in allowance and that was nice but I remain skeptical.

These Diadora have come the closest in fit but it isn't one of those shoes that says "this is 100%". The DMT before I had the straps closed I knew it was the one. Sucks to have a well fitting shoe that has such problems. There are no local DMT dealers for me unfortunately or out of desperation I'd buy another. Shipping shoes back-forth is tedious and costly, as is gas but LBS is quicker.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    try on every pair at every LBS you can get to. That is the only way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The next closest pair was some Fizik. They had the R1 which fit good but the R3 wasn't in stock to try. Otherwise Ive tried on Northwave, Sidi, Shimano, Diadora and Lake in a variety of models. Eventually...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I personally ride Sidi and I am sticking with them because I know that a 47R fits, every time. They also have narrow and wide.

I agree with the above comments to try on the shoes first. Unfortunately around here, the shops can't afford to carry enough sizes of the higher-end shoes to be able to try them on.

I really hate to say this, but if you can't get access locally to good shoes, ordering them online from a store with a return/exchange policy might be your best bet, . I did have to try three times to figure out that the Sidi 5.5 MTB shoe also fit in a 47 R. As long as you don't install cleats the LBS or online stores should accept them back.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Going through this same headache right now of trying to find shoes that work for me. The annoying part is that unless I want Sidi, Shimano or Spec I can't try anything on locally. Between the 4 bikes shops in walking distance of me that is all they carry in terms of variety.

Been playing the buy and return internet game for a few weeks now, getting annoying to say the least but it looks like that is the only option at this point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSnake03 View Post
    Been playing the buy and return internet game for a few weeks now, getting annoying to say the least but it looks like that is the only option at this point.
    Very tiring, I have a return that will go out tomorrow through UPS. My weak side is saying buy DMT's again. If the soles separate, I just can hear the wife say, "you had three pairs that did that and you bought more, what did you expect?" Hahaha...

I want to try some Mavics next.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma601 View Post
    Very tiring, I have a return that will go out tomorrow through UPS. My weak side is saying buy DMT's again. If the soles separate, I just can hear the wife say, "you had three pairs that did that and you bought more, what did you expect?" Hahaha...

I want to try some Mavics next.
    I just mailed out a pair of failed Northwaves this morning actually. The 41.5 was too big around the heel cup/sides, too much volume but the toe box too narrow. Ideally length/toe box wise I would be a 42 but that would just be way too much volume

Getting a pair of DMT Radial's in the mail tomorrow size 42 after the 42.5 were mailed back to Competitive Cyclist since they were too large as well. If this fails too I think I'll give Sidi a shot.

Sidi 42.5 I think will be a solid fit, really want a carbon sole though but the price tag on the Genius 6.6 is kinda same with the ergo's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

delamination

Quote Originally Posted by oldandtired View Post
    Do you think this delamination was a common problem with DMT shoes? Maybe you just got a bad pair.
    I have had two pairs of DMTs and they both de-laminated within a season. In both cases I glued them and continued to use them. I think if you search here you'll see others with this problem. Maybe they fixed that problem but last pair of shoes I bought I went with Giro shoes.

To the OP I'd give them a try if they otherwise seem to fit. Sometimes it takes a few rides to get comfortable with a new shoe. If it becomes hopeless, sell them on ebay to minimize the loss

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I just went through trying on the shoes on at several LBS's. I liked the Sidi's, seems they either had 42 (To small) or 43's (To big), but none carried 42.5's, and said they don't stock them, but could get them in 4-6 weeks. I ended up ordering them online, and from a place that allows returns if the cleats have not been mounted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
    I just went through trying on the shoes on at several LBS's. I liked the Sidi's, seems they either had 42 (To small) or 43's (To big), but none carried 42.5's, and said they don't stock them, but could get them in 4-6 weeks. I ended up ordering them online, and from a place that allows returns if the cleats have not been mounted.
    This is exactly what i just did, 42 too small and 43 too big with no local shops stocking 42.5. Ended up ordering the genius 6.6 on sale for the price of the genius 5, can return if they dont fit. Really annoying when lbs isnt well stocked but i guess it is an odd time to be looking to buy road shoes considering the snow outside

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Hi guy, going though the same thing right now with a pair of Sidi. 45 are to tight and 46 my heel slips. The LBS doen't stock half sizes so they ordered me a 45.5. When to two other shops. Samething, don't stock half sizes. Am I missing something?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSnake03 View Post
    I just mailed out a pair of failed Northwaves this morning actually. The 41.5 was too big around the heel cup/sides, too much volume but the toe box too narrow. Ideally length/toe box wise I would be a 42 but that would just be way too much volume

Getting a pair of DMT Radial's in the mail tomorrow size 42 after the 42.5 were mailed back to Competitive Cyclist since they were too large as well. If this fails too I think I'll give Sidi a shot.

Sidi 42.5 I think will be a solid fit, really want a carbon sole though but the price tag on the Genius 6.6 is kinda same with the ergo's
    If you're still looking for a 42.5 Sidi, I have a pair of men's "barely worn" (I wore them maybe 5 or 6 times) Sidi Ergo 2 shoes in black (NOT the Vernice Black...just flat black) that I'm trying to get rid of. I just bought these shoes about a month ago, but they are not working out for me. I need a shoe with a wider toe box, so I'm going back to my Northwave shoes. These have a full carbon sole, with the adjustable heel cup system, and both the "boa" and ratchet type closures. PM me if you're interested.