RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Short knee warmer suggestions??

My knees have issues with wind even when it isn't very cold out and I need to keep them warm to prevent it. I have wool leg warmers and Pearl I knee warmers but am looking for something shorter - about 8" max that I can use when I don't want to overheat otherwise, or need an extra layer under the warmers/tights etc.

I've tried elastic type braces that are about the right size but they get to constrictive after a while. Something like that in a heavy lycra or light neoprene would be perfect. I'm considering knickers but would rather have the flexibilty of another item.

Any suggestions? I know it may be tough trying to keep them up without tucking under the shorts, but I'd really like to find something short.
    -Thanks

Collin's Dad
    I'm not sure what would work without some type of alterations, but I bet it wouldn't be but $10 to have some biking knee warmers shortened by a seamstress.

BrooklynVelo
    Quote Originally Posted by badger_biker
    Any suggestions? I know it may be tough trying to keep them up without tucking under the shorts, but I'd really like to find something short.
    -Thanks
    I think that's going to be your main problem. If they're only 8" long then they aren't going to start anywhere that they won't fall down. You need to have the grippers under/over the hem of your shorts for them to hold properly. And that doesn't even assure you that they'll hold.

YMMV
    Damn the Man, Save the Empire
    Brooklyn Velo Force

S2H
    wut?
    The shortest I've ever seen are these, and they're 15 inches.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

uhhhh, what?
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by daneil
    I think that's going to be your main problem. If they're only 8" long then they aren't going to start anywhere that they won't fall down. You need to have the grippers under/over the hem of your shorts for them to hold properly. And that doesn't even assure you that they'll hold.

YMMV
    agreed, nothing more annoying than creeping arm/leg/knee warmers. i use the pearl izumis also, and they are as short as i'd care to go. on a long ride i'll have to adjust them up a time or two so they don't bug me, having ones half the length would really drive me nuts.

if you're really into something a bit shorter maybe check out knickers, i've had great luck with the heavy fabric castelli's, called the phoenix if i'm not mistaken.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

You're Not the Boss of Me
    You can still find some knicker-length shorts, so that's another option.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

Just one more switchback

cut off leg warmers

I took an old pair of PI leg warmers that the zippers had broken on and cut them off just a few inches below the knee. I have worn and washed them a number of times since doing it and they have not raveled yet and they are just the right length.

johnny99
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    The shortest I've ever seen are these, and they're 15 inches.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
    My Castelli knee warmers are 12 inches long (size large). This is long enough for me, but maybe not for you if you have really long legs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    As a follow up.....
    I found some short elastic type black knee braces at Sports Authority. They come in S, M&L and the M size fits me snug enough so they won't slide but they aren't that tight to be uncomfortable. I've tried on several moderate to cold rides the last couple weeks and they worked great under a thin pair of tights. I think my problem is solved for $20.00 for the pair. Thanks to all your suggestions and keep warm!

Martini time?
    I have the Nike knee warmers as shown on this page-
    http://leesbikes.com/page.cfm?PageID=268

I also use Voler knickers, which I like alot and have held up well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I have a set of Blackbottoms that are just about that length. The only problem is that you need to have shorts that are long to hold them up. Descentes work fine.