Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Some bikes are better than others and new technology has little to do with it in most cases. New technology can be applied to make a bike just like you want or to make one stiff as nails that rides like crap relative to what you want. You need to look at and analyse specific bikes rather that making huge generalizations based on year they were made.

All the new technology in the world won't be of much use if, for example, you get a crit bike designed for a 200 pound NFL running back and you're a 120 pound female into distance riding.

And regardless of what new technology can do for you, it's contribution to ride feel is minor compared to tires and proper PSI. Also important is design and geometry. More important than the technology used to execute that design and geometry.

So to sum it up. Good tires and a bike that specifically suites your wants and needs are what to focus on for improvement. New may be the quickest and easiest path to what you want but not necessarily. For example if you don't care about weight there are some great riding steel bikes out there using technology developed in the early 90's (I think that's when modern heat treatment started, I could be wrong about that).
    If you're a weight-weenie, new technology carbon would be the best bet.

The best riding bike relative to what I want that I've ever ridden was titanium. I'm not entirely sure but I think it's identical to what could have been made decades ago.
    If I was really into crits, sprinting and and a was weight-weenie it's a safe bet the best bike for me would be modern carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I don't think you are going to get 3 times the enjoyment out of a new 2.5K bike than you do out of your current bike. Getting a fit, a saddle that works for you and possibly new shoes & Bibs that allow you to ride pain free will bring much more enjoyment.

At least that was my experience when I upgraded to a new bike. It is nicer and I am happy with the bike. But going from my shitty $32 on sale bibs to Assos and going from the stock Saddle that came with the bike to something that worked for me were / are far bigger upgraded to my everyday enjoyment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Any time you use the term better you are asking for an opinion so don't be surprised by the fact that answers are all over the place. Here's mine

Ass and feet. I'm less inclined to think of this as a fit issue If it were a fit issue I would expect pain in back, shoulders neck knees etc. for the ass, I am inclined to believe a different saddle will solve the problem. With the feet, tight shoes, Clete position, and maybe riding style mashing vs. spinning are the issues I would take on first.

Moving on. How far should you be able to ride without pain. In my mind, at least 100 miles.

I'm going to disagree on the new vs. upgrade issue. I'm one of those riders who have a fleet of bikes, as I have been riding a lot of years and rarely sell any thing. That said, the oclv of that era, was one of the only bikes I have ever sold. I thought it had such a dead feel, that I just never liked much. My opinion is that newer carbon has a much better feel to it so that's the direction I would go

Last year I bought a Lynskey with Shimano 11 mech. I have never had such a smooth shifting bike. I'm generally a campy rider, but not with the 11 speed mech.

If you can afford a new bike go for it. Look at materials other than carbon to get a feel for the bike. You may find a notable difference even in less expensive models. Alloy steel and Ti have all made advances since 2004.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cnardone View Post
    I don't think you are going to get 3 times the enjoyment out of a new 2.5K bike than you do out of your current bike. Getting a fit, a saddle that works for you and possibly new shoes & Bibs that allow you to ride pain free will bring much more enjoyment.

At least that was my experience when I upgraded to a new bike. It is nicer and I am happy with the bike. But going from my shitty $32 on sale bibs to Assos and going from the stock Saddle that came with the bike to something that worked for me were / are far bigger upgraded to my everyday enjoyment.
    Yesterday I clocked and it took me about 90 minutes to start to get some discomfort and I am wondering how much of that is being deconditioned. I am also 20 Lbs overweight. I am having a problem riding away some bad eating habits ( I love good eaten).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I am always amazed at how people can afford a new bike, but somehow can't afford to pay for a fitting for their existing one.
    Doing your own bike fit while maybe not yielding good results is easy.
    Making your own frame, groupset, tires ect (aka bike) is pretty much impossible.

I'm not at all amazing some people will buy a bike but not pay for a fit. Lots of do-it-yourselfers out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    There is no such thing as riding away bad eating habits. I've tried

Discomfort in the lower back? sit bones? Feet? everywhere? How much have you been riding the last month or two? I apologize if I missed it in your original post.

I was off the bike since last September (Herniated disk and back surgery which is a different thread). I got back on the bike and put in about 6 hours of riding in March. Took two weeks off because of work / Vacation about 3 hours on the bike since I am back from vacation and my sit bones are still not conditioned again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Thank you, I tend to feel that your post is dead-on w respect to fit. I get no back / neck/shoulder issues whatsoever which is my concern of tinkering with current configuration versus singular tweaks. I do not have your experience regarding the dead-feel of the OCLV carbon, but that appears to warrant further exploration. I wonder if this "dead-feel" was more of a personal taste issue. How long has carbon technology been involved on road biking and does the technology of OCLV represent an archaic era?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    Yesterday I clocked and it took me about 90 minutes to start to get some discomfort and I am wondering how much of that is being deconditioned. I am also 20 Lbs overweight. I am having a problem riding away some bad eating habits ( I love good eaten).

Might this have been your first, or even second ride of the year? If so, the tushy always hurts after being off the bike awhile.

The foot pain is more of a concern. The cleat position or shoes that are too small could be to blame, or even, yes, fit on the bike.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Bill Dobie
    I have an '03 5200. I still ride it more than my others. It is a great bike! $850 is a lot to pay but at this point it is what it is. I see people on e-bay asking ridiculous amounts for old Trek crap. A new bike won't do anything for your ass/feet issues. You should be able to work those out on your current ride. I have to ask since no one else has do you ride with a chamois? If not it will relieve the pain in the backside. On the other hand new bikes are fun. You seem to have a healthy toy budget so go for it! Let us know what you get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dobie View Post
    I have an '03 5200. I still ride it more than my others. It is a great bike! $850 is a lot to pay but at this point it is what it is. I see people on e-bay asking ridiculous amounts for old Trek crap. A new bike won't do anything for your ass/feet issues. You should be able to work those out on your current ride. I have to ask since no one else has do you ride with a chamois? If not it will relieve the pain in the backside. On the other hand new bikes are fun. You seem to have a healthy toy budget so go for it! Let us know what you get.

What is a chamois? I just have regular padding in my shorts. All my attire comes from mountain biking, as I was doing that first. I am told that the padding in mtb is diff than for road.

Regarding your 5200, I think that is the same carbon I have. Did you read the other post where he was saying his carbon from the Trek like I have feels "dead." IE, I think he means that the newer carbon is more springy. This is the only carbon bike I have owned so I have no comparison.

I want to be able to ride several hours w/oout discomfort. But no, my back, neck and shoulders give me no problems and the foot/ ass thing is only while riding but the discomfort does not persist me getting off the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Chamois is the padding in your shorts. It is possible that the padding sits a little differently on MTB shorts. If you are serious about long hours in the saddle, go buy a pair of these
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/a...6MTo0OmFzc29z#

and never look back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

My first two cheap shorts were from Bike Nashua range I kept them for over 10 years. Never again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    and never look back.

Is this advise you really want to give to road biking?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    Thank you, I tend to feel that your post is dead-on w respect to fit. I get no back / neck/shoulder issues whatsoever which is my concern of tinkering with current configuration versus singular tweaks. I do not have your experience regarding the dead-feel of the OCLV carbon, but that appears to warrant further exploration. I wonder if this "dead-feel" was more of a personal taste issue. How long has carbon technology been involved on road biking and does the technology of OCLV represent an archaic era?
    It was around '87 when the Kestrel 4000 blew everyone away. I had just gotten my Trek 1500 after I got smacked from behind on my '84 Centurion Ironman.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12