Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

Should I upgrade my ride/ New bike?

Last year I decided that after several years of mountain biking I wanted to experience cycling in San Diego. I am not sure what drove me to the change; I think I enjoy the smoothness of riding and being able to move within the county of San Diego using mine own two-legs is a novelty. I think a big part of it is the bike I have seems very nice to me, and compared to mountain biking it seems like I am riding a Ferrari.

So I posted a thread on the purchase I was going to make and ended up buying this bike and absolutely loving this and having a great time. I am posting the link to the thread because 9 out of 10 posters on the thread discouraged me from making the purchase of I think it was $850 for the 2004 or 2005 Trek OCLV. At the bottom is the link to that thread which shows my current ride and how everyone was saying I got gypped by my LBS. In any case I really love the activity of road cycling and have grown to enjoy it more at this point than mountain biking, since my local trails were mostly destroyed in the recent winter rains and I just enjoy going up long hills etc and getting out of where I live, Santee, into metropolitan San Diego.

So since I love this sport, and I bought a semi-cheap bike, should I spend big-bucks and get the real deal bike? If so what would I get that I do not already have? My current ride is carbon and rides very smoothly as far as I can tell and is pretty comfortable, though after about 12 miles my ass starts to get uncomfortable and my feet get a little sore -- that happens to me in mountain too. I did upgrade to nice clip-less pedals and shoes and that is where the soreness in my feet comes in after about an hour of. Anyways, if I spent anywhere from $2500 to $4k, what could I except to get in return compared to what I have now that would make my riding relatively improved? I enjoy riding about 25 miles, and I would like to be able to ride more except as I say my ass hurts a little and feet get sore (not too bad but noticeable) Today I went into the Trek store and they put me on there fitting unit, whatever you call that contraption that hooks into a computer, and from the get go the way the rep had me on a high end Madone my upper body pushed my arms and hands into the handle-bars to the extent I would see carpal tunnel syndrome as a real prospect. When he set it for the Domaine (sp) model it wasn't so bad but I cannot say it was as comfortable as what I have now.

Link to previous thread from when I first got the bike:

Thank you!

My new road bike. What to add?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Don't see how a different bike will make your feet and ass hurt any less. As you write the only equipment that might be at issue are the pedals ,shoes or saddle.

I upgraded three years ago from a Trek 5200(which I like) to a Colnago C-59 which I like a ton more. The benefit was mostly geometry. The bike weighs a bit less but that was hardly the motivating force. I found the frame rides a bit better too but that can happen when jumping several generations ahead in a Carbon fiber frame and while the 2001 Trek 5200 was a good frame what Colnago puts out in its top of the line is quite a bit better although a C-40 from that era would also have been better I believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    mantrain - you're about to experience some "roadie duplicity." In the following replies, you'll be inundated with "it's not about the bike" sentiment, e.g. the bike doesn't make a difference, your old bike is fine, no need to upgrade, lose body weight not bike weight... all (okay, mostly) from guys on $3,000+ bikes.

That $2,500 will buy you a new, nicely spec'ed (Shimano Ultegra 6800, etc) bike. It really will feel like a legitimate upgrade from your bike - the 6800 is an amazing groupset. But don't buy it to fix the feet/ass pain - those are likely just products of needing more time on the bike or a fitting - neither requiring a new bike... well, assuming the current Trek is the right size.

If you're really liking the sport, think you're sticking with it indefinitely and the money isn't being pulled from the kids' college fund, I think that $2,500 would be well spent on a new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    if its just about a new group set or wheels there's no reason to buy a whole new bike unless the pricing just dictates it. Lots of people rave about that new bike when what they are really raving about are the wheels and group set

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get your ass and feet sorted out, and then, when you're more comfortable, sort out the new bike urge. Are your shoes to tight, that'll cause sore feet. And maybe another saddle would suit you better, try something different. In any case, the more comfortable on the bike the easier it will be to decide on new or up grade.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I used to get tired feet on long rides. In my case it was due to shoes with soles that were not sufficiently stiff

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go to a good bike shop and get yourself FITTED properly. In your other thread, this was mentioned by a few people. Did you ever do this? If not, find a shop that will put you and your bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make necessary adjustments. Your pains may be as simple to solve as this.

And no, you don't need a new bike. That vintage of Trek OCLV bikes were quite good. They were made in Wisconsin until after 2009 when they shipped production to Asia. The worst thing about those bikes were the crappy Bontrager wheels it originally came with, but it looks like those were already replaced.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Go to a good bike shop and get yourself FITTED properly. In your other thread, this was mentioned by a few people. Did you ever do this? If not, find a shop that will put you and your bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make necessary adjustments. Your pains may be as simple to solve as this.

And no, you don't need a new bike. That vintage of Trek OCLV bikes were quite good. They were made in Wisconsin until after 2009 when they shipped production to Asia. The worst thing about those bikes were the crappy Bontrager wheels it originally came with, but it looks like those were already replaced.
    The Rolf Vector Comp wheels weren't much better if in fact they were. Their sole virtue was that they were bullet proof. Could ride them over land-mines

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    The Rolf Vector Comp wheels weren't much better if in fact they were. Their sole virtue was that they were bullet proof. Could ride them over land-mines

It looks like he has Shimano Ultegra wheels.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Ultegra or RS81's are great wheels. Good value

It looks like he has Shimano Ultegra wheels.

Neophyte
    How often have you been riding and what distances? Really only between 12-25 miles?

Aside from full on bike fitting, have you looked into saddle and different bike shorts/bibs?

You may not need a new bike, but that doesn't mean you might not end up really happy on a new one. Have you actually test-ridden anything in that ~$2500-$3000 price range? Also, if you do go shopping for a new one, don't get to hung up on Endurance vs Racing geometry... just hop on some bikes for test rides.

Per what other folks have said, though, the rear-end pain and foot pain aren't really good reasons to go searching for a whole new bike. But if you really get into the sport and can afford having two bikes, there are quite a few advantages. Your old bike becomes your bad weather bike, backup bike when good one is in shop, and indoor trainer bike, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    How often have you been riding and what distances? Really only between 12-25 miles?

Aside from full on bike fitting, have you looked into saddle and different bike shorts/bibs?

You may not need a new bike, but that doesn't mean you might not end up really happy on a new one. Have you actually test-ridden anything in that ~$2500-$3000 price range? Also, if you do go shopping for a new one, don't get to hung up on Endurance vs Racing geometry... just hop on some bikes for test rides.

Per what other folks have said, though, the rear-end pain and foot pain aren't really good reasons to go searching for a whole new bike. But if you really get into the sport and can afford having two bikes, there are quite a few advantages. Your old bike becomes your bad weather bike, backup bike when good one is in shop, and indoor trainer bike, etc.
    I am always amazed at how people can afford a new bike, but somehow can't afford to pay for a fitting for their existing one.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    I am always amazed at how people can afford a new bike, but somehow can't afford to pay for a fitting for their existing one.

Well remember time is a resource too but there is no excuse not to get a good fitting. when I was in Trek yesterday it was agreed for me to come back and get a fitting which I will do.

I guess what I am trying to understand is quite a simple question but maybe not a simple answer: is the new technology versus what I have, with the upgraded wheels etc, a lot better in terms of current ride of my 2004 Trek? How has technology changed from what I have versus what I can get, and how will that translate to a different feel and experience? Are we able to make generalized statements like that? I am not excited about electronic shifters but I just love the feel of a smooth ride that only high-end technology can give you. I think it is the same with any human endeavor involving equipment. The more specialized something is in terms of human technology, the more refined mankind makes something, the more pleasure we tend to derive. But technology is no always linear in time.

Thanks all for the responses!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    Last year I decided that after several years of mountain biking I wanted to experience cycling in San Diego. I am not sure what drove me to the change; I think I enjoy the smoothness of riding and being able to move within the county of San Diego using mine own two-legs is a novelty. I think a big part of it is the bike I have seems very nice to me, and compared to mountain biking it seems like I am riding a Ferrari.

So I posted a thread on the purchase I was going to make and ended up buying this bike and absolutely loving this and having a great time. I am posting the link to the thread because 9 out of 10 posters on the thread discouraged me from making the purchase of I think it was $850 for the 2004 or 2005 Trek OCLV. At the bottom is the link to that thread which shows my current ride and how everyone was saying I got gypped by my LBS. In any case I really love the activity of road cycling and have grown to enjoy it more at this point than mountain biking, since my local trails were mostly destroyed in the recent winter rains and I just enjoy going up long hills etc and getting out of where I live, Santee, into metropolitan San Diego.

So since I love this sport, and I bought a semi-cheap bike, should I spend big-bucks and get the real deal bike? If so what would I get that I do not already have? My current ride is carbon and rides very smoothly as far as I can tell and is pretty comfortable, though after about 12 miles my ass starts to get uncomfortable and my feet get a little sore -- that happens to me in mountain too. I did upgrade to nice clip-less pedals and shoes and that is where the soreness in my feet comes in after about an hour of. Anyways, if I spent anywhere from $2500 to $4k, what could I except to get in return compared to what I have now that would make my riding relatively improved? I enjoy riding about 25 miles, and I would like to be able to ride more except as I say my ass hurts a little and feet get sore (not too bad but noticeable) Today I went into the Trek store and they put me on there fitting unit, whatever you call that contraption that hooks into a computer, and from the get go the way the rep had me on a high end Madone my upper body pushed my arms and hands into the handle-bars to the extent I would see carpal tunnel syndrome as a real prospect. When he set it for the Domaine (sp) model it wasn't so bad but I cannot say it was as comfortable as what I have now.

Link to previous thread from when I first got the bike:

Thank you!

My new road bike. What to add?
    1)Did you have a quality MB?

2)Did you do a lot of hard riding?

3)if #3 is "yes", have you been to a Chiropractor*(my left leg was shorter during my fitting and was correct after I visited the Dr.)?

4)Do you have quality shorts with a quality Chamois?

5)How well do your shoes fit(size 10 feet in size 8 shoes won't work for long)?

6)How old are you?

7)Did you change the position of the bar?

*When I originally visited the Doctor, my hips were cantilevered forward and down to the right!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The biggest issue I see with buying a new bike is that you are not comfortable on your current bike. If your fit is not sorted out then how

Biking is not supposed to hurt at all. If your fit is spot on you should literally feel no excess weight on ANY part of your ass, feet, hands and back and should be able to - at least lazily- pedal for 50+ miles.

If you don't know how you are supposed to fit on your bike to be pain free, then how will you know what bike size to splurge on? And if you don't know that then you can't buy a bike.

Fit first. Donate that bike to a museum and enjoy what we all enjoy doing...spending large amounts of money on a hobby we love.

Also, bike fitting, done by a reputable fitter not someone working retail with a vested interest in selling you something.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    The biggest issue I see with buying a new bike is that you are not comfortable on your current bike. If your fit is not sorted out then how

Biking is not supposed to hurt at all. If your fit is spot on you should literally feel no excess weight on ANY part of your ass, feet, hands and back and should be able to - at least lazily- pedal for 50+ miles.

If you don't know how you are supposed to fit on your bike to be pain free, then how will you know what bike size to splurge on? And if you don't know that then you can't buy a bike.

Fit first. Donate that bike to a museum and enjoy what we all enjoy doing...spending large amounts of money on a hobby we love.

Also, bike fitting, done by a reputable fitter not someone working retail with a vested interest in selling you something.
    So how many miles should one be able to ride /out discomfort? Mine after about 14 miles becomes a level 2-3/ 10 1 being worse. I can usually just take a quick break for discomfort to go away and I am wondering should biking be discomfort free no matter how many miles?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    You haven't answered any pertinent questions. How about this: get a physical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    I have a shifted and tilted pelvis that gets somewhat better with rigorous stretching and muscle activation exercises but I have to stay on top of it. May I ask what you did to resolve your issue and who you saw for it? PM is fine. Thanks in advance for taking the time out to respond!
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post

my original question remains, not really about fitting, but about technological changes that warrant buying a new mode carbon road-bike. Just like everyone on this board discouraged me from getting this great bike, now everyone is morphing the intent of my question. So if I tweaked my bike a bit so that I would never have any discomfort that means I should not get a technological upgrade? I think people try and be too original with responses. Question remains simple. My fitting issue isn't a huge issue with me bc I can ride for about 90 minutes and then after that there is some mild discomfort that I think with this bike I might be able to tweak in a fit. But I do not want to over tweak it and be worse off by some second guessing computer model. There is something to be said that I can go 90 minutes and not feel a thing at age 49.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I have a shifted and tilted pelvis that gets somewhat better with rigorous stretching and muscle activation exercises but I have to stay on top of it. May I ask what you did to resolve your issue and who you saw for it? PM is fine. Thanks in advance for taking the time out to respond!
    Everything is connected and it starts with the feet. I'm flat -footed which causes misalignment of the knees, then the hips, lower/upper back, shoulders and neck. At my worst, the muscles surrounding the head start to constrict causing me to tense-up across the shoulders aggravating the back and hips which makes me walk slightly sideways.

The Chiropractor visits can be painful as the muscles want to pull the body whichever way their used to.
    If you want to upgrade, do so. But remember, technology includes the saddle(I rode 135mm for 18 years when my sit-bones needed 143).

I can't walk, but I can ride.... until my lousy bibs curtail my enjoyment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my original question remains, not really about fitting, but about technological changes that warrant buying a new mode carbon road-bike. Just like everyone on this board discouraged me from getting this great bike, now everyone is morphing the intent of my question. So if I tweaked my bike a bit so that I would never have any discomfort that means I should not get a technological upgrade? I think people try and be too original with responses. Question remains simple. My fitting issue isn't a huge issue with me bc I can ride for about 90 minutes and then after that there is some mild discomfort that I think with this bike I might be able to tweak in a fit. But I do not want to over tweak it and be worse off by some second guessing computer model. There is something to be said that I can go 90 minutes and not feel a thing at age 49.
    The simple answer is that if you are only riding 90 minutes or less there is really no reason for the newest wiz bang bicycle.

Do something about your discomfort and ride the bike. Build a mileage base and take a few long rides, get a feel for what you want in a bike and then get a bike that suits your riding style.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    The simple answer is that if you are only riding 90 minutes or less there is really no reason for the newest wiz bang bicycle.

Do something about your discomfort and ride the bike. Build a mileage base and take a few long rides, get a feel for what you want in a bike and then get a bike that suits your riding style.

Thanks.I definitely want longer rides and I ride longer than 90 minutes sometimes – but that 90-minute mark is when I start to feel it in my ass and feet. With my feet, it is as if they feel cramped from being clipped (clipless) for the duration.
    I suppose I will never know until I test-ride some new models. I am not hearing any compelling responses regarding new technology carbon bikes versus the older ones like I have. Perhaps the advice to get my bike totally fitted and stay with that is the most sound advise. But we all want newer and more modern equipment. I keep thinking to myself "If this bike feels so nice for me and it is more than a decade old, imagine what a really nice new model would be like!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I took 14 years off and bought a new Orbea Orca w/Dura-Ace Di2 and just bought a 2013 NOS Wilier Zero.7 frame. Both are newer techonlogy than the '98 Trek OCLV w/Campy Carbon Rec'd 10 I had.

If you aren 't too concerned about your physicality, get what you can afford.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my original question remains, not really about fitting, but about technological changes that warrant buying a new mode carbon road-bike. Just like everyone on this board discouraged me from getting this great bike, now everyone is morphing the intent of my question.

I believe most people's concerns including my own about your previous bike purchase was the possibility that the bike had been crashed. Many felt this was a possibility because it has so many non-original parts.

You bought the bike and at this point there's no turning back. So far, it has yet to fly apart so-to-say. While it may not have been the greatest steal, I don't believe you necessarily got taken to the cleaners either. So far, the only issue you have is pain in 2 out of 3 of your contact points. Contact points on your bike are hands, feet and arse. Obviously, this wasn't the original concern about the bike purchase. Bottom line, you now have what you have and most people including myself feel that can be corrected with a proper fitting.

OK, now that we have that out of the way, let's get to what you have been asking about bike technology. Have there been advances in bikes in the last 10 years? Yes. Have there been any astonishing breakthroughs in that time? I have to say it depends 1) what you consider a breakthrough and 2) how sensitive and serious you are about the sport. A story of my own here that may help you.

In 2007, I bought my first carbon road bike, a 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0. At the time, I was really impressed by how smooth the ride felt for a road bike. Over a period of time and after becoming more serious about the sport, I started to find that the bike frame has more lateral flex than I liked. I found I was riding my old hybrid more and this bike less because it just had a more stable feel. So in 2014, I test rode a few new road bikes and eventually settled on a 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon. It had a much more stable feel - much less lateral flex. I love the bike! As far as the smoothness of the ride, the 2007 Trek and 2014 Cannondale are about the same. And that is the only reason I opted for the "newer technology". To me, that quality alone was worth the purchase. The 2014 has BB30 which in theory gives you better power transfer. It does feel a tad more responsive with an emphasis on FEEL. Remember, FEEL doesn't mean IS. It's like the old argument about new wheels being the most important upgrade because rotating weight makes you slower. No! Rotating weight makes you FEEL slower because you won't accelerate as fast. Once you are up to speed, it makes no difference whether the weight on your bike is rotating (rims and tires) or static (frame, derailleurs, etc).

Components related to shifting and braking have made some advances over that same time period too. However, these are things you can easily upgrade on an existing bike. You can always change the components, you can't change the frame - well, actually, you can, but then it would be essentially a new bike.

So I hope this has at least partially answered your question about technology and leads to to make a good decision about whether you want a new bike or not. Only you can decide for sure. Sometimes, you just get the new bike bug. My advice, go to some shops, test ride some new bikes and see if anything "wows" you. If nothing wows you, there's no reason to upgrade. If you do find something that makes you want to ride more often, well, it may very well be worth it. But remember, if it doesn't fit properly, it will hurt just as much as your old bike.
    Last edited by Lombard; 04-20-2017 at 05:05 AM.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Not much in bike technology changes. Gear sets get lighter and add gears(you can upgrade that without buying a new frame). Frames today may be 200 grams lighter than frames from a decade or so ago. 200 grams is not even 3/4 a pound and not even a fraction of a filled water bottle. There have been some advances in handlebars with companies really improving the ergonomics. Depending on who made it and to what standard a new frame may feel better than one from a a decade or so ago (or not) with a Colnago C-40 still many pro's favorite frame of all time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast