Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Should we really be on the same roads as cars ?

We're small, they're big and heavy. They go much faster than us.

They can text and be drunk or high when we are mostly sober and focused.

They zoom past us within a few feet or sometimes inches.

We are riding with our backs facing them, unable to see the danger.

It's not a fair fight by any stretch of the imagination.

As a society, more bicycle trails are needed.

That is all.

Forever a Student
    The roads are fine.

The cars are mostly fine.

The drivers are the problem.

Let the cars drive themselves and we'll be much better off, it'll be nirvana.
    use a torque wrench

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

That is all.
    This only perpetuates the stigma that cyclists are second-class citizens, and it does nothing to fix the bad driving culture we have.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Who came first? The bike or the car?

Fecal indicator
    that's your penetrating, thoughtful analysis of cycling on roadways...?

hope you didn't get a brain aneurysm with that effort.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ain't afraid, I ain't smart enough to be afraid.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Having been mashed by a car once already, I tend to avoid mingling with them as much as possible.

I've sort of naturally (not so much as a conscious, intentional process) changed my riding habits to minimize my exposure.

* I take MUT's when I can - my commute is 16 miles one way - 15.5 miles of it is on a paved MUT.

* My Adventure Rides tend to be off of paved roads. "Gravel" or whatever you want to call it - most of my planned long weekend rides involve this.

* I try to ride in a large group if I'm riding on roads with minimal shoulders, high speed vehicles, and sketchy site lines. Organized group rides, charity rides, fondos, etc..

* I rarely ride among cars at night, or in bad weather (rain, etc...).

* I live in suburbia these day - and used to love to ride into the city and explore - but no more - it's just too crazy dangerous to ride there. I head further out of town as much as possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I generally choose my ride times and routes to minimize access to motor vehicles as much as possible

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    minimize my exposure.
    this is a good habit all of us should practice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    got a 2.2 mile boardwalk 150 feet from my house. sometimes the idiots on foot are worse but I wont die by car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    that's your penetrating, thoughtful analysis of cycling on roadways...?

hope you didn't get a brain aneurysm with that effort.
    I'm sensing something.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    This only perpetuates the stigma that cyclists are second-class citizens, and it does nothing to fix the bad driving culture we have.
    Nothing is going to fix that. I see soccer moms with a minivan fully loaded with kids....with both thumbs texting and steering with their knees. Not even mortal peril to their own and others KIDS causes "adults" to act like it.

Part of why I went and built an unpavement bike this spring. The paved roads are becoming deathtraps.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

a real member's member
    i do most of my riding in town in either a dedicated bike lane or trail. because it's a bike-friendly city, i feel really safe. i never worry about being hit from behind. i only worry about someone approaching, obliviously turning left in front of me.

it's when i get out on the county roads or u.s. highways i feel incredibly vulnerable and downright scared.

the last time i was riding on a highway with a friend in front of me, a woman driver flew by both of us, only giving us about a foot or two between us and her speeding car. there was no traffic and no reason she should have scared the hell out of us like that. it's just the kind of rural craziness i try to avoid.

... which is sad, because there are some wonderful roads outside the city...
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    no, no
    BANNED

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i do most of my riding in town in either a dedicated bike lane or trail. because it's a bike-friendly city, i feel really safe. i never worry about being hit from behind. i only worry about someone approaching, obliviously turning left in front of me.

it's when i get out on the county roads or u.s. highways i feel incredibly vulnerable and downright scared.

the last time i was riding on a highway with a friend in front of me, a woman driver flew by both of us, only giving us about a foot or two between us and her speeding car. there was no traffic and no reason she should have scared the hell out of us like that. it's just the kind of rural craziness i try to avoid.

... which is sad, because there are some wonderful roads outside the city...
    Well, rural varies. We noticed a trend in the past few years on Tour de Nebraska doing different parts of the state...

NORTH of I-80...the rural locals will give you room almost all the time, and not pass you on a hill. They'll give a wave too. If they honk, it is a gentle "I'm here" one.

SOUTH of I-80....the rural locals will give you zero room and probably flip you off or blare their horn at you in that "HEY JERK OUTTA MY WAY" manner.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

a real member's member
    ^ i guess the good news is that north of i-80 is most of the state?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The trick is to ride in the mountains where cell phones don't work and there are no taverns. If the roads contain hairpin turns and cliffs, the substance abusers are either eliminated early or know better than to travel.

Narrow roads are best because drivers are forced to be prepared to deal with other cars and obstacles.

Take your cycling vacation in the alps (preferably Italy) where nearly everybody drives stick shift and the roads are constant hair pins. There is not time to be distracted between turns / constant shifting / cyclists / and wanting to pass or be passed.

In the US, stay out of cities that are magnets for substance abusers. Also, stay away from universities where many of the drivers are too stupid to realize that texting / driving / drinking is a bad combination.

With the above advice you will likely reduce the odds of being hit by a car by 75%.

That is all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Let the cars drive themselves and we'll be much better off, it'll be nirvana.
    Amen to that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    ^ i guess the good news is that north of i-80 is most of the state?
    Motored up 83 from North Platte through the Rosebud Indian reservation and rolling prairie in the middle of Nebraska, last summer. Sight lines were great, but traffic, such as it was, could go 80 mph, and I don't remember especially consistent shoulders; not real friendly to bikes going 15 mph. But the network of adjoining side roads go the same places. Those roads are safer than the urban MUTs.

It'a all good. I ain't skeered of no cars. I ride aggressively, use hand signals, go with the flow, and have never been hit from behind. Drivers have if anything gotten more courteous than when I started in the late 70s. We just have to be considerate, and its pretty safe everywhere off those six lane suburban thoroughfares cars speed on between traffic lights. I avoid them at all costs. There's always an older adjacent road with slower traffic and more interesting stuff to see.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 04-17-2017 at 08:57 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

That is all.
    Bicycle trails are filled with people and animals that have nothing to do with bicycles. I know quite a few people who have had quite a few more crashes on bike trails than roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Google does a good job routing. A chunk of my commute goes through industrial/commercial areas with wide roads, low speed limits, and mostly-attentive drivers. Of course, when your number is up, it's up. This was at my building's entrance, yesterday.

It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    Bicycle trails are filled with people and animals that have nothing to do with bicycles. I know quite a few people who have had quite a few more crashes on bike trails than roads.
    We don't have all that many bike trails/MUTs in suburbia where I live. But where they exist, I avoid them at all cost. They are not conducive to high-speed road riding

Banned forever.....or not
    You should stick to riding on the sidewalk.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    If you are uncomfortable riding on roads, then don't ride on them. I accept the dangers of riding on the road. In 35 yrs of road riding never been hit from behind. When I lived in Cali, did have rednecks (big surprise there) throw beer bottles, half full cans of beer from behind at me. Have been taken out twice and had 2 near misses from people turning left/right in front of me.

Don't use bike trails. Why you ask? Because shockingly they don't take me where I need or want to go. I will say all roads should have enough r-o-w to incorporate a 3' min bike lane on either side. 5' would be better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Statistically, in terms of getting into an accident involving a car, left and right turns in front of you (failure to yield), and negotiating junctions/intersections are where you are most likely to get hit.

Being hit from behind is far more rare. The problem is it's also the mostly likely to be catastrophic, as the vehicles are usually moving faster, and the cyclist almost never knows the impact is coming, and thus can't brace/prepare/avoid.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast