WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002

Shout out for Schwalbe tires

In Feb I bought 2 S-One tubulars. Finally got around to gluing/mounting them this month. One tire had a very slow leak that deflated overnight, which i had not caught when the tire was prestretched for only a couple of hours.

One email to Schwalbe was answered quickly suggesting checking to confirm the valve core was tight and linking the warranty form. Problem was not valve, so i sent in simple warranty claim and the package was FedEx'd within 36 hours.

While this is not a huge deal, I thought it appropriate to point out a Company that 100% fulfilled my customer service expectations. Thank you Schwalbe, I will buy again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Wouldn't it be nicer to receive a non-defective product in the first place?

Is it the "software" industry that "conditioned" people to this?
    Ship broken stuff, (try to) fix it when a customer complains, and then get "high praises" for customer service?
    Well, it seems to work for many companies...
    /rant off

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I bought a hamburger, medium rare, it was cooked medium. After I sent it back for a new one all my guests had finished eating.
    I had to eat alone but they did fix my order!

Holla

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    Wouldn't it be nicer to receive a non-defective product in the first place?

Is it the "software" industry that "conditioned" people to this?
    Ship broken stuff, (try to) fix it when a customer complains, and then get "high praises" for customer service?
    Well, it seems to work for many companies...
    /rant off
    Well, no matter how good a product or company might be, **** happens. Good companies own up and make it right. It's not like they shipped a defective tire intentionally, and they could have easily blamed it on user error during the install. A replacement tire costs them a lot more money than just selling a good one in the first place, you know. This kind of CS usually ends with a repeat customer, assuming the product/brand isn't generally known to be crap.

I'm hard pressed to think of any instance when I've told a software company that their product isn't working correctly and they've had a fix that actually works. *cough*Creative Cloud*cough*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Well, no matter how good a product or company might be, **** happens. ........*
    More accurately, "Cheap Asian manufacturing" happens.......
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I for one would like to hear how you like those tires. Need to replace my current tires and have thought about that brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The problem is that Schwalbe one tubulars last a max of 500 miles if you do a fair amount of climbing (the rear tire). Clearly the worst tubulars I've ever used. I'm getting 2 1/2 times that mileage on Vittoria Paves (I bought a few of them when Vittoria discontinued them).
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    In Feb I bought 2 S-One tubulars. Finally got around to gluing/mounting them this month. One tire had a very slow leak that deflated overnight, which i had not caught when the tire was prestretched for only a couple of hours.

One email to Schwalbe was answered quickly suggesting checking to confirm the valve core was tight and linking the warranty form. Problem was not valve, so i sent in simple warranty claim and the package was FedEx'd within 36 hours.

While this is not a huge deal, I thought it appropriate to point out a Company that 100% fulfilled my customer service expectations. Thank you Schwalbe, I will buy again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I bought a hamburger, medium rare, it was cooked medium. After I sent it back for a new one all my guests had finished eating.
    I had to eat alone but they did fix my order!

Holla
    I hope they didn't "doctor up" the burger before it got back to you.
    Too old to ride plastic

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    My prior experiences with Schwalbe were for their clincher 32mm Marathon Plus for a tandem, and a couple of their tires for a city bike. I was impressed with durability then so I'm trying the 30mm S-One tubular.

If the tire turns out to have the shortcomings some mention above, i'll be the first to report back.

At this point, regardless of the defect, i was very pleased to have the matter handled courteously, efficiently, with NO HASSLE.
    YMMV

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Well, no matter how good a product or company might be, **** happens. Good companies own up and make it right. It's not like they shipped a defective tire intentionally, and they could have easily blamed it on user error during the install. A replacement tire costs them a lot more money than just selling a good one in the first place, you know. This kind of CS usually ends with a repeat customer, assuming the product/brand isn't generally known to be crap.

I'm hard pressed to think of any instance when I've told a software company that their product isn't working correctly and they've had a fix that actually works. *cough*Creative Cloud*cough*
    Depends. It cost money to check every tire they ship out. If, say, they hold back 1 out of every 100 by QCing and catching mistakes it would be cheaper to just replace the 1 when the poor sap who got it calls. Just making up the numbers but you get the point.

It's kind of sad that a big company doing the right thing is newsworthy but I suppose that's what it's come to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I'm one month in to trying the Schwalbe One V-Guard clinchers this season. We have lots of poor quality chip-seal roads here that will quickly shred delicate tires and so far these are holding up well. They feel as smooth and fast as any clincher I have ever ridden but only at near max inflation. If they're not near max inflation, then they're noticeably sluggish.