WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002

Shout out for Schwalbe tires

In Feb I bought 2 S-One tubulars. Finally got around to gluing/mounting them this month. One tire had a very slow leak that deflated overnight, which i had not caught when the tire was prestretched for only a couple of hours.

One email to Schwalbe was answered quickly suggesting checking to confirm the valve core was tight and linking the warranty form. Problem was not valve, so i sent in simple warranty claim and the package was FedEx'd within 36 hours.

While this is not a huge deal, I thought it appropriate to point out a Company that 100% fulfilled my customer service expectations. Thank you Schwalbe, I will buy again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Wouldn't it be nicer to receive a non-defective product in the first place?

Is it the "software" industry that "conditioned" people to this?
    Ship broken stuff, (try to) fix it when a customer complains, and then get "high praises" for customer service?
    Well, it seems to work for many companies...
    /rant off

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I bought a hamburger, medium rare, it was cooked medium. After I sent it back for a new one all my guests had finished eating.
    I had to eat alone but they did fix my order!

Holla

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post

Is it the "software" industry that "conditioned" people to this?
    Ship broken stuff, (try to) fix it when a customer complains, and then get "high praises" for customer service?
    Well, it seems to work for many companies...
    /rant off
    Well, no matter how good a product or company might be, **** happens. Good companies own up and make it right. It's not like they shipped a defective tire intentionally, and they could have easily blamed it on user error during the install. A replacement tire costs them a lot more money than just selling a good one in the first place, you know. This kind of CS usually ends with a repeat customer, assuming the product/brand isn't generally known to be crap.

I'm hard pressed to think of any instance when I've told a software company that their product isn't working correctly and they've had a fix that actually works. *cough*Creative Cloud*cough*

banned
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Well, no matter how good a product or company might be, **** happens. ........*
    More accurately, "Cheap Asian manufacturing" happens.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    I for one would like to hear how you like those tires. Need to replace my current tires and have thought about that brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The problem is that Schwalbe one tubulars last a max of 500 miles if you do a fair amount of climbing (the rear tire). Clearly the worst tubulars I've ever used. I'm getting 2 1/2 times that mileage on Vittoria Paves (I bought a few of them when Vittoria discontinued them).
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    In Feb I bought 2 S-One tubulars. Finally got around to gluing/mounting them this month. One tire had a very slow leak that deflated overnight, which i had not caught when the tire was prestretched for only a couple of hours.

One email to Schwalbe was answered quickly suggesting checking to confirm the valve core was tight and linking the warranty form. Problem was not valve, so i sent in simple warranty claim and the package was FedEx'd within 36 hours.

While this is not a huge deal, I thought it appropriate to point out a Company that 100% fulfilled my customer service expectations. Thank you Schwalbe, I will buy again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I bought a hamburger, medium rare, it was cooked medium. After I sent it back for a new one all my guests had finished eating.
    I had to eat alone but they did fix my order!

Holla
    I hope they didn't "doctor up" the burger before it got back to you.
    Too old to ride plastic

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    My prior experiences with Schwalbe were for their clincher 32mm Marathon Plus for a tandem, and a couple of their tires for a city bike. I was impressed with durability then so I'm trying the 30mm S-One tubular.

If the tire turns out to have the shortcomings some mention above, i'll be the first to report back.

At this point, regardless of the defect, i was very pleased to have the matter handled courteously, efficiently, with NO HASSLE.
    YMMV

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Well, no matter how good a product or company might be, **** happens. Good companies own up and make it right. It's not like they shipped a defective tire intentionally, and they could have easily blamed it on user error during the install. A replacement tire costs them a lot more money than just selling a good one in the first place, you know. This kind of CS usually ends with a repeat customer, assuming the product/brand isn't generally known to be crap.

I'm hard pressed to think of any instance when I've told a software company that their product isn't working correctly and they've had a fix that actually works. *cough*Creative Cloud*cough*
    Depends. It cost money to check every tire they ship out. If, say, they hold back 1 out of every 100 by QCing and catching mistakes it would be cheaper to just replace the 1 when the poor sap who got it calls. Just making up the numbers but you get the point.

It's kind of sad that a big company doing the right thing is newsworthy but I suppose that's what it's come to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I'm one month in to trying the Schwalbe One V-Guard clinchers this season. We have lots of poor quality chip-seal roads here that will quickly shred delicate tires and so far these are holding up well. They feel as smooth and fast as any clincher I have ever ridden but only at near max inflation. If they're not near max inflation, then they're noticeably sluggish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I hope they didn't "doctor up" the burger before it got back to you.
    No, they didn't know him that well.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_T View Post
    I'm one month in to trying the Schwalbe One V-Guard clinchers this season. We have lots of poor quality chip-seal roads here that will quickly shred delicate tires and so far these are holding up well. They feel as smooth and fast as any clincher I have ever ridden but only at near max inflation. If they're not near max inflation, then they're noticeably sluggish.
    just bought 5 of them for 15.99ea

hope they're ok

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Depends. It cost money to check every tire they ship out. If, say, they hold back 1 out of every 100 by QCing and catching mistakes it would be cheaper to just replace the 1 when the poor sap who got it calls. Just making up the numbers but you get the point.

It's kind of sad that a big company doing the right thing is newsworthy but I suppose that's what it's come to.

Maybe at some point Smith & Wesson used to test fire every revolver. They did some research and found that most owners never fired new guns. They decided they'd be better off rolling the dice and let the customer do the final QC, much like your discussion. Fixing the reported defective ones was less expensive than a thorough QC program.

I don't know how accurate the above is, but it is similar to your description. S&W gambles on their product ever being used, where tubular tire manufacturers gamble on defect percentage.

The only problem I have with thinking they use this program on tubular tires is that it isn't that difficult to test each tire. I think it is more likely it was tested and leaked even though it passed the test. But maybe they don't test.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I've been through a decent amount of back and forth over a leaving Schwable pro one. It's my front tire. After 5 days I was then given the link for a warranty claim. They certainly were helpful and polite but at that tires price in no way would I say they were looking to keep a happy customer. They were really probing the wheelmaker (his reputation is stellar and has made thousands of sets of custom wheels for fat bike to TT bikes).

I have no issue with the questions but the process is long in the tooth for a tire at that price point AND very importantly it's had similar issues.

I give a B if we were grading warranty service. I'm sure they will replace it but it'll be 4 to 6 weeks.

Their tires, When performing as designed, invite an A.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    You think like me. The best warranty is the one you never have to use because the product works as advertised.