RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Sidi Genius 5 -Lorica or Mesh?

I have these two shoes on order from my LBS. Which version do you all prefer? I live in Utah where it could get a little hot. I would imagine the Mesh breathes better than Lorica, but by how much?

Which shoe last's longer?
    What's more durable?

Thanks.

ScubaD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scubad
    I have these two shoes on order from my LBS. Which version do you all prefer? I live in Utah where it could get a little hot. I would imagine the Mesh breathes better than Lorica, but by how much?

Which shoe last's longer?
    What's more durable?

Thanks.

ScubaD
    I prefer mesh, but cosmetically it doesn't hold up as well as Lorica.

RoadBikeReview Member

I have always...

...bought the mesh model, because that was what my first pair of G2's had back in '93. My G2's lasted until about 2 months ago when the plastic outter piece shattered when I dropped them in my closet. Although the G2's had been delegated to "rain shoe" duty since 2001, the mesh on that shoe held up fine and the uppers looked almost new. A friend of mine, who has the nickname "puddles" cause he sweats profusely on the bike, bought a pair of the lorica ones this year cause they did not have the mesh in his size. Although the claim is that the lorica is very breathable, he said that the mesh model breathed much better. He should know as this is the only rider I know of that when pedaling has a "shower" of sweat flinging from the heel of his shoes. If you ride behind this guy in temps greater than 70, then you end up with more of his sweat on you than your own (only takes one ride with him to know to avoid this situation).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Mesh

The mesh shoes will be a lot more comfortable in the heat. If your feet sweat much, the added durability of Lorica will be canceled out by the damage to the shoe from all that salt. Obviously, the mesh will require extra steps to keep your feet warm when the weather turns cold.

Ya, what ATP said...!
    I own the Lorica but wish I had the mesh. Didn't want to wait for the shop to get it in so I plopped down the cash. They're my summer shoe. I bought a used pair of Pogios off of Ebay for cheap that are a half size too large for winter so that I can wear two pair of sock and not stretch out my good shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003

Lorica

Ok, let's dispell the myth right now: Lorica does not get hot. I've been riding Sidis for 3 years in Southern Oregon, where I ride year-round. In August, temps are typically 100-105.
    In the winter, 40-50. I'm able to ride comfortably all year just by changing my socks or adding a toe cover, and my feet never get too cold or too hot in any season. In fact, I'm constantly amazed at how comfortable my feet feel in the summer in Lorica.

If you only ride in hot weather, or have another shoe for the winter, get mesh. If you want one shoe to wear in any weather, Lorica can't be beat.

RoadBikeReview Member

Sounds like...

...an experiment in the making. Does anyone have both mesh and lorica? One could put the shoes outside, with a temp probe inside the shoes and see which is hotter. Could also place a fan in front of the shoes to mimic the breeze one would have from cycling.