RoadBikeReview Member

Sidi Genius 5 Pro vs 11 S-Works

Can I hear the feedback to owners of either of these shoes? THese are currently the 2 shoes I'm looking at buying.
    2010 Specialized Allez - Crit bike
    2011 Specialized Tarmac SL3 Expert - RR/TT bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Both are great shoes, and both fit VERY different. Choose based on fit and you will be happy with either.

Unlike rgordin I have always found Sidi shoes too narrow and constricting in the toe box, and I don't have particularly wide feet. My S-Works and Specy MTB shoes have a great toe box, but if my foot was more narrow I am pretty sure I would have picked Sidi shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post
    Both are great shoes, and both fit VERY different. Choose based on fit and you will be happy with either.
    Unlike rgordin I have always found Sidi shoes too narrow and constricting in the toe box, and I don't have particularly wide feet. My S-Works and Specy MTB shoes have a great toe box, but if my foot was more narrow I am pretty sure I would have picked Sidi shoes.
    yup, not doubt about that.

I tried them both (but don't own either) and the Sidi were way to narrow and the Sworks were pretty much perfect. My foot is slightly wider than average but overall pretty normal. I don't seek out wide versions of street shoes, generally anything off the rack is okay, but Sidi's are not.
    Definitely base your choice on fit. I just don't see anyway someone could go with "either one" here. Based on fit I'll I think it'll clearly be one or the other.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I have owned both makes of shoes. Sidi are pretty hard to go past, especially if you have narrow feet. I have had a set of Energys (Road) that have seen 8 years of use and just won't die. I also have some Dragon mtb shoes that are brilliant.

The S-Works are also nice shoes but definitely a little wider. My S-Works mtb shoes saw 4 years of abuse and are still fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Check the sizing charts. I am a 43 with Specialized and a 44 with Sidi. In the Specialized, one toe made contact with the upper shoe in a way that I thought might cause irritation. The next size up was a bit too big and so I went with Sidi. After a very short break-in period (during which I felt a little irritation), the Sidis have been great. So far (I haven't ridden very long distances yet), they are by far the most comfortable road shoes I have owned. I wouldn't choose one brand over another without trying them on, if that is at all possible. BTW, in casual and dress shoes I am a 10D and the regular Sidis fit fine - no need for extra wide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love my S-works, the Boa system is great.

old school drop out
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post

Definitely try both. I own SIDI and Specialized shoes (neither is the current model). The Specialized shoes fit my feet much better, although they show their age a lot more than the SIDIs. Also, different shoes from the same manufacturer fit differently. I tried the S-Works and the Pro shoes on and found the Pro fit me better, so that's what I bought.

Be sure to try on any riding shoe before you buy it.

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    I have the Sidi Genius 5 as well. A great shoe, but very narrow as others have stated. They fit me pretty will, but I may look at a brand that is slightly wider when it's time to replace them. I wasn't a fan of the OEM footbed, and had to add an additional insole to keep from getting hotspots.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    OP...Note that the S-Works shoes come out of box with a Red BG insole (lowest support level). There are three levels of these BG Fit insoles, Red, Blue and Green. Each insole will incrementally affect the overall fit and performance of the shoe and must be considered along with your shoe size (even including your typical ride sock). Additional trimming out for performance comes with in-shoe shims if necessary for you.

Getting comfortable with the right amount of tightening for perfect clamp down for you once feet warmed up using the dual BOA closure system takes some experience. Of course you’ll find that you can easily managed tightening or loosening while riding by reaching down for a simple twist in either direction.

Going to a Spec LBS for a shoe fitting is a good start. I wear a pair of 2011 S-Works with the green insole and my wife wears a pair of 2011 Women’s S-Works with the blue insole. Our fitter mentioned he seldom see’s anyone use the standard red insole…but depending on your arch and metatarsal support needs, the red insole could work for you.

The S-Works absolutely fit like a glove for both of us…no discomfort over long rides as well as no hot spots, a terrific breathing shoe and great power to the ped transfer with the FACT carbon sole. Oh, and the shoe material cleans up easily, boa’s work well, and the heel pads are replaceable.

Good luck with your selection as your feet thank you for your reseach.
    Last edited by DonDenver; 06-08-2011 at 10:04 AM.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
    I just changed shoes from the shimano to the sidi 5. I was all over the place in the shimano's. I had to tighten them so tight and i still had movement in there. The sidi's on the other hand feel great.
    Ghost...do you mean Specialized S-Works or Shimano shoes that your feet swam in? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I just changed shoes from the shimano to the sidi 5. I was all over the place in the shimano's. I had to tighten them so tight and i still had movement in there. The sidi's on the other hand feel great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I love my Sidi Genius 5's. I have a wide foot but these shoes (in a Mega size) are perfect. My previous shoes were also Sidi and lasted forever without a single issue. Great shoes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
    OP...Note that the S-Works shoes come out of box with a Red BG insole (lowest support level). There are three levels of these BG Fit insoles, Red, Blue and Green. Each insole will incrementally affect the overall fit and performance of the shoe and must be considered along with your shoe size (even including your typical ride sock). Additional trimming out for performance comes with in-shoe shims if necessary for you.

Getting comfortable with the right amount of tightening for perfect clamp down for you once feet warmed up using the dual BOA closure system takes some experience. Of course you’ll find that you can easily managed tightening or loosening while riding by reaching down for a simple twist in either direction.

Going to a Spec LBS for a shoe fitting is a good start. I wear a pair of 2011 S-Works with the green insole and my wife wears a pair of 2011 Women’s S-Works with the blue insole. Our fitter mentioned he seldom see’s anyone use the standard red insole…but depending on your arch and metatarsal support needs, the red insole could work for you.

The S-Works absolutely fit like a glove for both of us…no discomfort over long rides as well as no hot spots, a terrific breathing shoe and great power to the ped transfer with the FACT carbon sole. Oh, and the shoe material cleans up easily, boa’s work well, and the heel pads are replaceable.

Good luck with your selection as your feet thank you for your reseach.
    Thanks Don (I'm assuming that's your name). I tried the SIDIs on today and liked them a lot. Gonna try the S-Works on tomorrow.
    2010 Specialized Allez - Crit bike
    2011 Specialized Tarmac SL3 Expert - RR/TT bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I needed some new shoes recently and these two were on my list, along with Giro Factor. The Specialized just didn't fit my feet. I next tried the Sidi 5's and the Giro's, and the Sidi's fit better between the two. I don't have a narrow foot, around a "D" width, but the Sidi's fit like a glove. However, the insole is junk, so went back to the Specialized LBS and was fitted for the BG insole, so I guess I now have the best of both worlds.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GA1911 View Post
    ...The Specialized just didn't fit my feet. I next tried the Sidi 5's and the Giro's, and the Sidi's fit better between the two. I don't have a narrow foot, around a "D" width, but the Sidi's fit like a glove. However, the insole is junk, so went back to the Specialized LBS and was fitted for the BG insole, so I guess I now have the best of both worlds.
    I'd like to say this is "thinking out of the shoeBOX" finding a solution potentially useful for many ...but that would only take away from an otherwise great post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
    Ghost...do you mean Specialized S-Works or Shimano shoes that your feet swam in? Thanks.
    The shimano shoes. I also tried the s works, but the s was not as snug, and i had to really close some of the straps tight, and it still was not working for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Both shoes are quality. I love Sidi brand products. I have Sidi motocross boots, road racing boots and casual motorcycle riding boots. They all fit great and the quality is top notch. For some reason the Sidi cycling shoes just don't fit me. I tried the S-Works and they fit great and have been awesome for the last 4k miles. I would highly recommend them but definitely get some thicker socks for fall/winter riding because they are highly ventilated!