RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Sidi Genius Pro 5 vs Giro Factor

I'm in the market for some new cycling shoes and can't decide between these two. Besides the fit which I understand is key, which of these is the better shoe?

Base the decision on technology, stiffness, weight, value, etc... need your input!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stillconcept.com View Post
    I'm in the market for some new cycling shoes and can't decide between these two. Besides the fit which I understand is key, which of these is the better shoe?

Base the decision on technology, stiffness, weight, value, etc... need your input!
    I made this exact decision about 10 months ago now. I was riding Sidi pro 5 and changed to the Giro Factor, which I am very happy with.

- I find the Giro a better fit than the Sidi (slightly wider and slightly more roomy in the toe box)
    - The Heel cup on the Sidi is definitely superior to the Giro, but that said, I don't find my heel slipping around at all. The Sidi just feels more firm and 'cup-like'!
    - The Giro weighs significantly less and has a stiffer sole (Easton carbon fibre)
    - I also find the closure of the Giro more seure over a long ride (>100km) than the sidi - probably has something to do with the location of the velcro straps and width (i.e. off set and sider than the sidi's)

I should also mention that I had to replace the bolt holes in the Giro shoes as the thread was totally stripped... probably from over tightening my cleats! My error, but my point is that the metal used in the bolt holes is much softer than Sidi.

hope that helps

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't provide a direct comparison as I have only owned the Sidi's, but I just replaced my first pair after 10 years of use. So, they are certainly durable.

irony intended
    the factors can be somewhat subjective, which is most important to you, what are your goals, etc?

besides all the useful advice you'll likely get and i'm less qualified to offer...

....which color do you like best?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carlislegeorge View Post
    the factors can be somewhat subjective, which is most important to you, what are your goals, etc?

besides all the useful advice you'll likely get and i'm less qualified to offer...

....which color do you like best?
    I wanted white'ish... Ended up at my LBS last night and picked up the Sidi in all black. They had a phenomenal sale.

Why Sidi?

They fit me like a glove.
    I loved all the replaceable components
    The brand, made in Italy
    They look and feel quality!

Why Giro?

They are light, very light!
    A great design
    Comfy to wear, like s slipper

I didn't like...

Giro felt a little cheap, QA looked to be lacking. I could see glue on some edges.
    They where more expensive in my case.
    No replaceable parts, especially the rear step.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by william9092 View Post
    I should also mention that I had to replace the bolt holes in the Giro shoes as the thread was totally stripped... probably from over tightening my cleats! My error, but my point is that the metal used in the bolt holes is much softer than Sidi.
    I'll be getting a pair of Giro Factor shoes myself.
    As far as the bolt holes go:
    Should I use a torque wrench to make sure the bolts are not overtightened?
    If the threads do get stripped, how easy is it to replace them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I was buying new shoes a few weeks ago and spent a long time trying all kinds on. I settled on the Giro Prolights. It was between them and the Factor and the fit of both was perfect for me so I went for the more flashy model as I know they will last me a long time.

I started with a fairly long list of shoes that I wanted to try. Sidi, Northwave, Specialized and obviously Giro. The Sidi's were too narrow for me. The Giro's and Specialized were the right shape but I just preferred the feel and look of the Giro, which after fit, is probably the second most important thing!

Shoe selection is totally subjective. They need to fit you but you should also like the way they look. much like your bike! You're going to be happier riding if they feel and look good!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa View Post
    I'll be getting a pair of Giro Factor shoes myself.
    As far as the bolt holes go:
    Should I use a torque wrench to make sure the bolts are not overtightened?
    If the threads do get stripped, how easy is it to replace them?
    Yes, if you have a torque wrench defintely use it. (I don't have one so couldn't tell you how tight the bolts need to be).

Sourcing the replacement parts was a bit painful given i'm outside of the USA. That said, Giro warranty department were very responsive once I got in touch with them. In terms of actually installing the replacement bolt holes in the shoe, that's dead easy. There are no imperfection in the footbed of my shoes after the procedure.

Hanging 10 bra
    I am pretty happy with the 2 sets of Genius 5 that I currently have and they fit pretty good. However, I just recently got 2 sets of the S-works and must say they are by far a better fitting shoe for a larger than normal foot. I wear 13.5 and extremely skinny foot, so the S-works seem to be perfect. Sorry I have never tried the GIro ones though. Good luck on your decision, as picking good road shoes is a very very tough job.