RoadBikeReview Member

Sidi Lorica VS. mesh?

I have an old pair of Sidi Tecno road shoes that are lorica and am looking to buy a new pair. My foot is a little on the wide side and the lorica material conformed to my foot like leather. Do the mesh have more give or should I stick to the lorica?

Daylight Fading

That's a good question.

I have full lorica SIDI MTB shoes and lorica/mesh SIDI road shoes. Both are comfy and seem to have plenty of give for width.

I got the mesh for the road because, at the time I was riding in Tucson. I thought that they'd be cooler. Not sure if that's even true. I ride in NH now but have no regrets about the mesh.

I would guess that they both have plenty of give.

bt
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have full lorica Dominators and mesh/Lorica Dragons. The Dragons are slightly cooler and a little less roomy. Both shoes give about the same in width. The mesh shoes don't have that much mesh in them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The mesh quickly looks like crap--- seems to hold dirt or stains much more than the Lorica. I believe they are cooler, BTW. After relocating, I wouldn't mind some warmer shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I went from an old pair of all lorica to the mesh ones and I love em. Cooler for sure but I ride in south texas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If your feet are wide, check out the mega size. Be careful, you may need a half size smaller than previously used. I'm trying to find a 43.5 mega to try on... before I buy a 44 mega which may be a touch loose. I currently am wearing 44.5 reg.

Lorica is reputed to resist stretching, but I stretched mine quite a bit but it took a couple of years to make them really comfortable.

Old, slow, and fat.
    I've got the Lorica at the moment. Seem all right. I'd think they'd be more durable in the long run.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I met a rider a couple of years ago who was wearing a pair of leather cycling shoes from back in the 70's. The shoes reminded me of the ones I used when I first started riding. You'd have to nail on the cleats to the sole. The shoes certainly have far better ventilation than modern shoes do as they are made of leather and have lots of large holes punched in them for that reason. Too bad nobody makes a modern version that would fit the clipless cleats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Not sure I've noticed a difference between the two styles. It's really hard for me to say one way or the other.
    This poster is an employee of

We Keep You Cycling