RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Question Sigma 1600 vs Specialized 04 Turbo Elite

Anyone have any advise on choosing between these two computers with cadence? I am replacing my Avocet tt45 (very unreliable) and have narrowed my choices down to these two. I’m trying to decide which is more reliable & more durable. I like the twist lock on the Sigma because I take my computer off a lot for to avoid theft. But, I’m not sure about the “rubber band” mounting system. The Specialized has some nice features, but I’m not sure about reliability. Any advise or comments are greatly appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    Anyone have any advise on choosing between these two computers with cadence? I am replacing my Avocet tt45 (very unreliable) and have narrowed my choices down to these two. I’m trying to decide which is more reliable & more durable. I like the twist lock on the Sigma because I take my computer off a lot for to avoid theft. But, I’m not sure about the “rubber band” mounting system. The Specialized has some nice features, but I’m not sure about reliability. Any advise or comments are greatly appreciated.
    I've never tried the Specialized. however, I do have several Sigmas. the rubber bands are pretty secure, and I don't think you'll need to worry about them coming off.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

The good and the bad

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    Bad first. I am using the Sigma 1200 that is replacing a '99 version Flight Deck. The wire harness I think has crapped out on the FD, giving incorrect data due to the fact that the middle chainring is not registering on the 'puter so the cadence feature has effectively failed unless I'm in the big ring. I received my first Sigma late last year as a wired version and decided to go with one head unit for multiple bikes, so I ordered a wireless harness this spring from Nashbar. It did not work period, no data transmitted no matter how many times I tinkered.

The Good. I contacted SigmaUSA and told them what the problem was, they said send it back we will swap. The swap came from Sigma and it also would not transmit data, again contacted Sigma. We will send you another. What about the old one I asked? Keep it. Okay. Just in case this one does not work could you send me an extra wiring harness, I know they work. Sure said Sigma. New wireless and wired harness arrived a few days later, they work as advertised. The model that did not work that I was told to keep went back to Nashbar for a new wireless unit so now I have 4 harnesses and one head unit. Great to deal with Co. As for the rubber band breaking, can be had at a hardware store, it is a rubber gasket. That actually is the only weak point I see with the unit. Have heard that they eat batteries in the wireless mode, have not had mine long enough to find out.

Can't help you on the cadence issue, I sort of miss it as a feature, but I can live without it. I just pay more attention to my HR monitor now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Sigma mounting

I'm not sure if it comes with it, or if the shop I got mine at does this as a courtesy, but a little bit of double sided foam tape would do wonders for keeping things secure if you are worried about the band failing. In the off chance your bike's design doesn't accomodate the stock band, any grommet of the right thickness would work, so it's easy enough to buy a larger one to fit oversized parts. Heck, I just used some rubber bands on mine after losing the original during a cleaning, tacky but they work fine. As for brand, I haven't used the Specialized but I've had no problems with my Sigma and it's nice and simple to deal with while riding, very easily read and mode changed. While I'm sure other brands are nice as well, I will probably replace my current Sigma with the 1600 at Christmas time just to add cadence, maybe give the 1200 to one of my friends' kids to put on their little bikes for the fun of it. Hmmm, on second thought, having them taking their eyes off the road might be bad, they're still pretty young.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

I have the Specialized 04 Turbo Elite and the Sigma 1200 (No Cadence on this model)

Here's what I think:

Sigma: I think the mount is cheesy, this one is on my mtn bike (which is only infrequently used off road or in actual mountains). The first think that happened with it was the mounting bracket (the plastic part you rubber band around the handle bar) cracked. It's still quite functional, but it's quite flimsy. The display on the Sigma is actually better. One of the nicer features tells you with two little arrows and a dot whether you are at, above, or below your average speed (I would hope the 1600 does this with cadence too, very cool feature).

Specialized: The Turbo Elite 04 was on my road bike until i replaced it with a Polar s725 HRM (which btw is awsome). The wireless speed part of this computer is excellent, but the display is a little smaller i think. The cadence option requires an ugly cable which runs down to your chainstay. The plug for this cadence option is quite fragile (my LBS broke it while doing some work on my bike, they replaced it n/c, but as a rule they are very careful in the shop, as workshops go anyway). Also the magnet doesn't want to stay put on my ultegra cranks, I had to put some tape on the back of the sensor to make it stay put (before I realized the magnet was moving I thought the cadence was truly flaky becuase it only worked intermittantly).

Of course the Sigma (1200) was substantially cheaper than the Specialized ($30 or so) so I think it's a better deal, despite the flimsy rubber band mount. The new Polar s725 is the cream of the options I've tried though, and I enjoy the interface on this device the best of all. It lets you mix and match the items on your display in many different combinations, I tend to prefer cadence, elapsed time or speed, and heartrate.

HTH.