RoadBikeReview Member

Silca Super Pista, SKS Rennkompressor or ...?

Looking to get a really nice floor pump that's build to last me a lifetime. I've looked at Silca, but the reviews seem to be very mixed. Also checking out the rennkompressor, or perhaps the Lezyne CNC (http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A0369). I'll be putting the Hirame chuck on it.

Any comparative feedback on these, or tips on other pumps I should check out?

kytyree
    a silca pump will out last you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Silca

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77
    Looking to get a really nice floor pump that's build to last me a lifetime. I've looked at Silca, but the reviews seem to be very mixed. Also checking out the rennkompressor, or perhaps the Lezyne CNC (http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A0369). I'll be putting the Hirame chuck on it.

Any comparative feedback on these, or tips on other pumps I should check out?
    The mixed reviews are because 1) some people just can't operate a simple piece of equipment and 2) there are a LOT of Silca users, and therefore enough with problem 1) that they speak up and cloud the discussion.

Over the years there have been a lot of pumps that have been reported to be "just the best." The funny thing is that Silca is always on that short list, but the names of the other pumps keep changing. You figure it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's just like the bicycles. Every one has a different feel to it. It's more then how long it will last. Bring your wheel in when you are shopping and try the different pumps. You will be amazed how each one is different. The silca that I had for 15 years never broke but every time you pulled the hose off the wheel the pump would fall over for it had such a small base. For that reason alone I got rid of it. Go into a Performance bike shop, they seem to have about 10 different pumps that you can try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Learn the Silca technique - one foot on base, 1 hand on air chuck holding it, pump with other hand to 110+. Replace hose, washer( when needed). I've had my pump 30 years so far.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    Blackburn tower 5 - lifetime warranty - pumps up tires fast

waterproof*
    I have an ancient Silca track pump that's covered in dust because I always use the modern Blackburn that was ~40 retail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 for Silca Super Pista - built like a tank - just about the only pump you can get replacement parts for those that wear.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX