RoadBikeReview Member

Slipstream Cannondale crowdfunding...

Help JV keep the dream and a bunch of jobs alive.

https://slipstreamsports.typeform.com/to/TveqQM

Or not, whatever, you're call.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I'd crowdfund for JV to leave the sport completely!

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    I'd crowdfund for JV to leave the sport completely!
    That's the boat I'm in.

I'd love to help the sport and all but I think he's a piece of **** and I'll certainly never give him any money.
    use a torque wrench

Russian Troll Farmer
    I just "donated" $100,000 under the name of Heywood Jablome. We should all do something similar....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Darling of The Lounge
    A more worthy cause?

Running a pro cycling team is a business not a charity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmm... this or Houston

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    A more worthy cause?

[IM G]http://www.cotygonzales.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/saveferris1.jpg[/IMG]

Running a pro cycling team is a business not a charity.
    Actually it is the other way around. Maybe I'm wrong...but I don't think anyone sponsoring a team ever actually makes money out of doing so. In which case, yes "running a pro cycling team" is pretty darn close to being a charity.

A "business" you expect ROI and profit. Cycling teams...not so much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Actually it is the other way around. Maybe I'm wrong...but I don't think anyone sponsoring a team ever actually makes money out of doing so. In which case, yes "running a pro cycling team" is pretty darn close to being a charity.

A "business" you expect ROI and profit. Cycling teams...not so much.
    Since it's part of the company's advertisement budget there will never be any direct profit. Just like a superbowl commercial is a moneydrain if only that account is considered.
    CSC claimed it was profitable until market recognition saturated.
    Visit Spain or France and it's clear that Castorama and ONCE are still spinning off their sponsorships.
    Blows your hair back.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    Since it's part of the company's advertisement budget there will never be any direct profit. Just like a superbowl commercial is a moneydrain if only that account is considered.
    CSC claimed it was profitable until market recognition saturated.
    Visit Spain or France and it's clear that Castorama and ONCE are still spinning off their sponsorships.
    Cannondale, as in the OP, is a great example. Cannondale is a branding owned by a multi-billion USD international industrial conglomerate. They had the financial resources where a 2017 cycling team budget is pennies to them. Yet they never saw the ROI to justify "adequately funding" Cannondale-Drapac to the level the team/DS deemed necessary. Maybe Rabobank saw ROI on the millions a year it put into cycling....but after the great results they got on the women's side and the men they bailed. I doubt USPS saw ROI on all the money it spent.

In general, no one hangs around very long. Which is part of the "problem" people see...hard to build team-brand loyalty when all the racers have to be mercenary shuffling around yearly, and sponsors seldom stay more than 5 years.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Cannondale, as in the OP, is a great example. Cannondale is a branding owned by a multi-billion USD international industrial conglomerate. They had the financial resources where a 2017 cycling team budget is pennies to them. Yet they never saw the ROI to justify "adequately funding" Cannondale-Drapac to the level the team/DS deemed necessary. Maybe Rabobank saw ROI on the millions a year it put into cycling....but after the great results they got on the women's side and the men they bailed. I doubt USPS saw ROI on all the money it spent.

In general, no one hangs around very long. Which is part of the "problem" people see...hard to build team-brand loyalty when all the racers have to be mercenary shuffling around yearly, and sponsors seldom stay more than 5 years.
    no there's no problem from the sponsors side hanging around a few years. that's the whole point of brand exposure and subsequent saturation.
    Cannondale has had their exposure and moved on. if the team cannot secure another sponsor? well that's not cannnondales problem. They will likely be back in a couple of years or five. just like they returned in 2007 to sponsor a team for a decade.
    Rabobank was a sponsor from 1996 to 2012. you must think their PR/sponsor department for the biggest fcktards in history for them to continue for that long if they don't think they got return on investment. Of course there was a specific incident you ignored to mention that made them cut ties. yet the team survived. found new sponsors and moved one.
    As for postal: the whole defense against their lawsuit was that they got their moneys worth.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Teams/riders aren't sponsored out of the goodness of businesses'/individuals' hearts - of course there's (supposed to be) ROI. We see drivers, racers, riders, runners, etc. use the gear - we think we'll be like them. Or, we have a favorite driver and use the laundry detergent that's on his hood. Or, we just become "aware" of a brand because we saw it on a jersey, sign, etc. That awareness hopefully leads to sales. If the marketing/brand team doesn't see any movement, they'll pull out.

The challenge was summed up well by John Wanamaker: "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I don't know which half."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe we need to do like the Italians and allow 'pay to play' LOL

cause you know when I think about it, I am not a fan of C-D, but some of my fav riders have been on that team (Woods, Hesjedal, Uran). Maybe I'd crowdfund for specific riders on that team, just like how some Italian riders have been known to bring in their own sponsors or their relative's money to the team to secure their careers.

and while pro cycling is definitely not a charity, we could think of donating to a team as a quid pro quo for being allowed to view races without gate fees. Because most ball sports thrive on gate fees but cycling can't really do that easily. Makes it more like a voluntary, pay-what-you-can-or-nothing-if-you-prefer gate fee. just a thought. Yeah I know most of us don't get to see pro races in person very often.