Shirtcocker

SLR XP and SLR Gel FLow

I have been riding one of the original SLRs for a few years now and like it, but wondering if I'd like one of these newer models any better? Anyone have some experience with the original and one of these others? Thinking the gel might be a bit better for longer rides.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

attaque tous le temp
    Nov 2006
    ive ridden all three.

slr, broke it, found an xp cheaper, have it now, and gel flow on the 'cross bike (at one point in time).

DONT get the gel flow. what you love about the slr shape gets ruined with the gel flow. its fine for short rides (i.e. 'cross) but for 2hour + i cant stand it

the xp - pretty much the same thing. i dont notice any more or less padding, it gets squished down after awhile. it may make your head think its softer, but imo, it offers nothing or takes away nothing. if you can find one cheaper, by all means, otherwise, stick with what ya got.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    +1 I love the slr, but the xp is some kind of wicked torture device

the_rydster
    I just got an XP. It is quite 'firm', and it sure is light but for me the jury is still out as I think I need several hundred km's to break it in and find out if it truely suits me.

First impressions are good. I think if it fits your 'behind' it will be a good saddle. Soft saddles are no good in the long run.

I read somewhere that the SLR is only for 'light' riders. I weigh 75 kilos, I guess that puts me as medium (or heavy for pro-tour?).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Breaking in?

Quote Originally Posted by the_rydster
    I think I need several hundred km's to break it in and find out if it truely suits me.
    You're confused. Plastic saddles don't break in. Your butt conforms to them, not the other way around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Fizik is an exception

While most plastic saddles don't break in, Fizik does have some the twin flex system that has small sections that do literally break to change the flex level of the saddle. It's used on the Arione and Aliante saddles for example. However, in general, you're right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The SLR gel flow is not the same shape as the plain SLR. Also the stitching on the gel flow wreaked havoc with my buns. Stick with the SLR if it works. YMMV

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by matanza
    The SLR gel flow is not the same shape as the plain SLR. Also the stitching on the gel flow wreaked havoc with my buns. Stick with the SLR if it works. YMMV
    Thanks...the gel flow sounded good, but seems like a bad choice based on most responses. I may just stick with the regular SLR as I don't really have major issues with it. Anyone using one of the Fizik saddles now? The Arione looked pretty nice. Wonder how it compares to the SLR/Flites which have worked for me so far.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    If you're shopping around for seats give the san marco rever a try. Minimal to no padding in the standard model. I have a SLR on the mountain bike and a rever on the road bike and like them both about the same.

Travels by Map
    I love the Gel Flow precisely because of the shape. I also have a Specialized Toupe that I like, and it is a similar shape. I've ridden both on rides well over 50 miles without any issues. I've never used the original SLR.

Don't tell me that you've avoided General for so long that you forgot the standard "all butts/saddles are different" response.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by nate

Don't tell me that you've avoided General for so long that you forgot the standard "all butts/saddles are different" response.
    Yeah I know...but I figured anyone who liked the original SLR or Flites would be a good resource for future saddles for me.

limit screwed
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wasfast
    While most plastic saddles don't break in, Fizik does have some the twin flex system that has small sections that do literally break to change the flex level of the saddle. It's used on the Arione and Aliante saddles for example. However, in general, you're right.
    And the rest of the saddle follows with it. I have never seen another saddle break so much as the Arione; luckily it seems Fizik is pretty good about warranty replacement.
    "They'll be making us a shoe made entirely of steel wool and canvas. Steel is real, wool is real, so it follows that steel wool is the realest material of them all."
    -buck-50

building my engine
    155 pound rider here who has no complain about SLR Gel Flow. However, it did take my a couple of short rides to get used to the new sit shape. After that I am able to go for 50 or more mile rides with out any sort of pain or discomfort. Just like everything else, it either works or it does not for you. In my opinion the best to find out is to try it for yourself and not based your decisions entirely on other people's experience.
    vita est poena