donuts?

small tubing in patch kit??

i bought a patch kit from Price Point and it came with the standard patches, buffer, and glue. it also came with 2 lengths of small tubing. any idea what the small tubing is for?

here's a picture of the kit.

-Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    This small tube is used to re-build a Woods valve. I have never seen the valve, but I heard about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    They are provided to assist you in 'rolling' out any small air bubbles (from center of patch to perimeter) without stressing the bond as the glue sets up.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Primitive check valve.

daniell is right, the bit of tubing goes on a so-called Woods valve. The valve stem of a Woods valve has a closed metal tube with a hole in its side. Sliding the rubber tubing over that tube closes the hole. At pumping, the air pressure expands the rubber tubing a bit and allows air into the tire. The little piece of rubber tubing would often rot and break, resulting in a sudden flat. Photo shows two valve stems.

Quote Originally Posted by wim
    daniell is right, the bit of tubing goes on a so-called Woods valve. The valve stem of these things is a closed metal tube with a hole in its side. Sliding the rubber tubing over that valve stem closes the hole. At pumping, the air pressure expands the rubber tubing a bit and allows air into the tire. The little piece of rubber tubing would often rot and break, resulting in a sudden flat. Photo shows two valve stems.
    I've only seen two of those in my life, both on really cheap bikes from strange countries, and I failed to figure out how to air either of them up. Of course, that's why they were in the shop in the first place. They got nice, normal tubes and the customers went away happy.

Woods Valve = WTF?
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I am speechless. Except for wondering if they delivered any embarrassing sounds as they were being pumped up.....

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclerepairman
    I am speechless. Except for wondering if they delivered any embarrassing sounds as they were being pumped up.....
    No, never heard any, and have pumped on many of those. In Germany and Holland (where they're called "Dunlop" valve) all "transportation bikes" had these until they were replaced with a newer version using an actual check-valve inside.

Since these stems were held in place by an easily-removed collar nut, it was easy to take the stem out, remove the rubber tubing and put the stem back in on a bicycle belonging to someone you couldn't stand. Kids did this to teachers, for example. Did I do this? Never.

Wow, that takes me back. I remember those valves on a couple of bikes growing up.

As I recall, these were found on the "English racers" my sisters had.

Thanks for the memory trip.

Cool that the patch kit included parts for such a repair. Never seen that in any patch kits before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Japan has 'em

Most 'everyday' bikes in Japan come with this type of valve so they are pretty common here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    No, never heard any, and have pumped on many of those. In Germany and Holland (where they're called "Dunlop" valve) all "transportation bikes" had these until they were replaced with a newer version using an actual check-valve inside.

Since these stems were held in place by an easily-removed collar nut, it was easy to take the stem out, remove the rubber tubing and put the stem back in on a bicycle belonging to someone you couldn't stand. Kids did this to teachers, for example. Did I do this? Never.
    The winner of the best foreign film oscar this year, a Danish film called In a Better World, had kids taking the valves off each other's bikes... It was set in current time...

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    The winner of the best foreign film oscar this year, a Danish film called In a Better World, had kids taking the valves off each other's bikes... It was set in current time...
    Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely go see the film!