Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    When I was a kid I smoked and rode and it weren't no problem. But if I didn't quit smoking I sure wouldn't be riding a bike today. That kinda stuff is cumulative, and you smoke long enough you just won't have the wind to ride your bike. And the chances are that if you don't quit, that pack a day habit will just keep growing and that'll make it even harder to quit down the line.

And as far as the quitting goes, don't be talking about it.

When those around you, friends, family and co-workers know you quit they'll be askin' how many days and don't you miss it and one won't hurt you. But if you don't mention it there is a real chance that nobody will notice that you aren't smoking till you've got some time under your belt.

Persevere.

Also, the less you talk about it the less you'll be thinking about it.

Velocipediologist
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    When I was a kid I smoked and rode and it weren't no problem. But if I didn't quit smoking I sure wouldn't be riding a bike today. That kinda stuff is cumulative, and you smoke long enough you just won't have the wind to ride your bike. And the chances are that if you don't quit, that pack a day habit will just keep growing and that'll make it even harder to quit down the line.

And as far as the quitting goes, don't be talking about it.

When those around you, friends, family and co-workers know you quit they'll be askin' how many days and don't you miss it and one won't hurt you. But if you don't mention it there is a real chance that nobody will notice that you aren't smoking till you've got some time under your belt.

Persevere.

Also, the less you talk about it the less you'll be thinking about it.

good point, good perspective with that post.

I never did smoke and never will. Parents smoked and I got turned off to the stench at an early age. Of course I got a daily dose of second hand smoke every day until I left for school.

To the O.P., hang in there.
    Maybe when the urges hit, get on that bike and go for a long ride. Make those legs burn! Focusing on becoming a better cyclist might keep your mind off the smoking.
    Shouldn't it be called a 'nipple wrench'?

as stated by my favorite bully: "Really...is that what your 'expert' opinion is?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys for your personal experiences and encouragement.

4 days now and still "off the evil weed"!!!!!

Have had a few urges here and there for "just one more smoke"..... Fortunately, I have tried to concentrate on something else when this emotion has arisen and it has usually passed within a couple of minutes.

If at home, I have just jumped on the trainer and pumped through 10 minutes to get my mind off the thought.....At work, I have just walked away from my office and drunk some water in the kitchen.... These little things have seemed to work so far...

Have also tried to do a 20-40 km ride every day since i stopped to relieve the tension and release some endorphins.....I will do an 80km ride in the morning and see if I can feel any lung difference on the longer climbs....

So far so good.....

Again, Thanks for all the support and encouragement. I wil keep checking the thread for more ideas....

Cheers,
    TheSlug74
    2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad - George Orwell

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    On a lighter (zing!) note:

Source, incl. who's who: CYCLING ART BLOG: Gentlemen's Club
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Smoking and Cycling????

Well done!

I saw it in a friend, who smoked for years, he stopped after starting to jog. The endorphin high & serotonin are a positive help to change. A man made addiction to a natural addiction.

keep it one day at a time & smile more each day

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    If you push yourself and really workout hard - get a regular 40 mile route and compete with your best time, or sign up for some century rides or races you will have no desire to smoke.
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Good luck to you. Try not to think about it as much as you can. There are also free group meetings that you can attend for support. Pain is inevitible, suffering is optional.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

xxl
    I have a riding friend who smokes. Occasionally we'll do a group ride, and let me tell you, there's nothing quite like the looks he gets from other riders when he whips out his pack of smokes at the food breaks.

From some of the stares, you'd have thought a cigarette and lighter was a set of works, which I guess they rather are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    When my GF quit I made her give me the $10 a pack of smokes cost up here, after 3 months I gave her the money back and doubled it for her..she was amazed at the amount of Ten dollar bills or each saved pack of smokes.

2 years now and she is off yet still gets a craving.

Funny story, on our Donut ride here in Toronto one day I smelled a smoke really strong while the 200 or so of us were cruising slowly in the peleton, I looked up and there was this old school guy with a Coppi hat smoking...to funny!!

Give yourself a goal every 30 days, you can do this and you WILL start to get faster and feel better..

Infinite pursuit of speed
    I ride with a former smoker. When we met, he had just quit. Back then, on our group rides, if I wanted to drop him, I just needed to do about 25 mph. That would certainly get him off my wheel. He apparently is really motivated by competition. The following winter, he trained really hard, and the next season, he'd lost about 20 lbs. and was lightning fast. Now, I have to pry him off my wheel with a crowbar. Not only that, he's become the best climber in our group.

I almost forgot to mention this. I know that he feels better because he no longer has these coughing attacks when we're going fast.

Good luck to you and all the smokers out there who are breaking the habit. Quitting permanently is the best thing for you and your family.

banned
    Dec 2011
    re: price of smokes. Yeah, I think $7 a pack is bad, and I don't even buy 3 a week. I heard in NY it's about $11 or 12. I have thought about gardening my own, probably get a better flavor, just like home grown tomatoes are always best. The cheap cigs are half paper shreddings anyway. If you're going to do it, might as well buy in bulk, because buying the pack at a time and thinking of quitting gets expensive, and you can always sell them later (check your laws, maybe gift them to friends) if you do not want to smoke anymore.

Mad-one...
    Much respect for trying to give up. it's one thing you'll never regret.
    There is NO rehearsal - this is the real thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I quit in 1999. Aside from marrying my wife it is the best thing I ever did.

You have plenty of years ahead of you to recover from the effects.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOfALesserGod View Post
    I quit in 1999. Aside from marrying my wife it is the best thing I ever did.

You have plenty of years ahead of you to recover from the effects.
    It was sometime in the mid eightys and I woulda never met my wife if I didn't quit.

Don't even miss it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, I'm going through this now. I have quit smoking several times for months, even for over a year. Plan now for how you will deal with cravings several month or even a year from now.
    I do not notice the difference in "wind" nearly as much as I notice it in muscle strength and muscle endurance, and heart rate.
    I see a significant difference in performance when I do a particularly hard ride in the mornings before I have that first smoke, and the same ride after I have had a smoke even several hours before. I read somewhere years ago that it takes 12 hours for the carbon monoxide to leave your blood stream. Hemoglobin binds to carbon monoxide much more readily then oxygen, thus starving your muscles of the much needed oxygen. I find after doing a hard ride that I have no desire for a cgarette for hours after the ride.
    4 days into it, you are off to a good start... I suggest make certain that there are no cigarettes around, and if you don't buy any, then there aren't any available to smoke. If you have to make the effort to go buy them it is a lot easier to talk yourself out of it.

RoadBikeReview Member

I rember hearing-

that they used to think it opened up your lungs for riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smoking and Cycling????-smoking01.jpg  
    “Life may not be about your bike, but it sure can help you get through it.”

"Yes, you can call me a slightly opinionated retro grouch."

My only fear in facing death, is that there may not be a bike for me to ride on the other side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I too smoked and cycled for a couple of years. I kept getting upper respiratory infections over and over along with sinus and ear infections. When I quit it got worse! I didn't know it at the time but my Dr. said I had quitters flu and there was little I could do about it except ride it out by not pushing myself physically. I was sick for almost an entire year and stopped riding altogether. When this illness finally passed and I got back on the bike it took me very little time to get back to where I was and within a month I was in better physical condition then I could have imagined. That was 18 years ago and at 53 I am in better shape then I was at 25. Stick to it man and take it a day at a time.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSlug74 View Post
    3 days ago I gave away the evil weed. I am in my late 30's and have smoked a pack a day for over 20 years.

It has been a tough 3 days but I am hoping I can make this stick for fitness, financial and long term health issues.

My question? Has anyone else been a smoker and cycler and then stopped? I am imagining some great performance improvements but have no idea of what sort of % improvements I will receive and over what time frame to expect these?

Info, advise or even motivation from someone who has been there before would be greatly appreciated...
    At age 49 I took up cycling again. I'd smoked for 35 years and cycling was the first thing I'd found in life that I liked better than smoking and that smoking interfered with. Nine months after taking up cycling, I quit smoking.

The first three days are the hardest. After that, the first two weeks are the hardest. Then, the second month it hard because that's when drug begins to lie to you saying in your head that it was easy enough to quit, so you can manage it any old time. So why not celebrate and pick up a pack? That's the insidiousness.

All these years later, I still have to be careful with myself, since I know exactly how good that first hit is going to make me feel.

I didn't notice much difference for the first six to eight months. I figured damage done, can't be reversed, so just HTFU. It wasn't until the next spring that I could say that I was doing better. Climbing without sounding like a Hoover, better speed, better endurance. We're not talking orders of magnitude here, but enough to notice.

The following year, an opportunity came along to join a bunch of riders from another forum on a ride in Colorado's Front Range. Besides having been a 35-year smoker, I'm a lifelong lowlander and flatlander. My home altitude is 475 feet. Unless I specifically take a longer route and seek out hills on my commute, it's 4˝ miles and 98 feet of climbing. Flatland city.

Even so, I signed on for the ride and did whatever I could think of, and took whatever advice I could to train.

Early one sunny morning in July 2008, at age 51, 28 months after taking up cycling, and 19 months after quitting smoking, I found myself here

and rode my bike--my daily commuter, BTW, not some fancy climbing bike--to here.

I case you're wondering, it's true. There's no air up there.

I earned this jersey on that ride,

It says, "Oxygen or altitude, pick one!" and it's from Club Hypoxia, the Front Range bike club that hosted the ride.

And FWIW, the smoking budget became my cycling budget, so I'm not any more money ahead than I was when I was smoking. But I'm very happy with the stable I've amassed. All paid for cash up front.
    Last edited by brucew; 12-29-2012 at 04:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I have never been a smoker and never understood why people do it but do understand it is highly addictive. I just want to say there is no question quitting is what you need to do. I am not sure cold turkey is the way to quit any addition, but if it works then great. Otherwise I am sure there are aids and support programs to help you quit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    I have never been a smoker and never understood why people do it but do understand it is highly addictive. I just want to say there is no question quitting is what you need to do. I am not sure cold turkey is the way to quit any addition, but if it works then great. Otherwise I am sure there are aids and support programs to help you quit.
    I have to disagree with you on this. I was quite a heavy smoker, two packs or more a day, and quit cold turkey. I wanted to quit for some time before quiting. I tried to quit before quiting. But I couldn't quit till I up and decided to quit.

It takes will power to quit, and you don't get that from a patch or a little moral support. What's needed is carried inside and if you can't find that on your own, than I feel that your hold the decision to quit is not quite strong enough.

Kind of "Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead". Or as it's so eloquently put HTFU.

Hell if you can dig deep and ride a bike when your whole being just wants to stop, than you can quit smoking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi guys,

Awesome inspiration here, and without trying to sound like a broken record - thanks again, as this is really helping me....

I am relatively new to posting on this forum and am amazed that in such a self-absorbed society we have become over 40 people have provided support and encourangement to a fella they do not know from a bar of soap. It really blows me away at what a great community exists on this site, and I really appreciate it.

Today is day seven without a lung-buster!

Have been trying to ride about 40 to 80 kms a day to distract myself, and suprisingly, even after 7 days without the fags I have found the energy to do so (even though I have become sleep deprived in order to achieve this!)..... I realise this is not a realistic ongoing amount of riding I can do with my personal, work and family committments, but it sure has helped over the 1st week......

By the way, a pack of 25 lungbusters in Australia costs $17 from a supermarket or up to $20 from a fuel station.....so I am estimating over $7,000 a year in savings.....If I can keep this up, my wife has promised to commit this cash for a visit to the Tour de France for holiday in 2014!!!!!!! I know its only been a week, but crickey, this is the sort of motivation I need as we haven't been on an overseas holiday in years!!!!!!!!!

Will keep you all posted of how I go.....and as NJBiker72 stated....I don't think I could do this without the biking being such an integral part........

Thanks again for all the support, stories and motivation!!!!

Cheers,
    TheSlug74

RoadBikeReview Member
    BruceW, great story and great photos! Well done mate. A great achievement!

Cheers,
    TheSlug74

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nolight View Post
    Smoking is stupid. Cycling rox.
    This quote gave me the absolute $hit$ being the 1st response to my OP and what I had requested in my OP.

Reading back on it now, it makes me laugh......thanks (in retrospect nolight)....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I quit smoking years ago and used zyban. most of these pills are actually anti depressants, nothing to do with nicotine, but they work. My sister worked in the cardiac recovery unit for a big hospital and she said they saw big results by taking the pills while lowering the number of cigarettes by one each day until your last. then you are done and take the pill for another month.
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I've never smoked but just wanted to wish you all the best! You are doing the right thing for yourself.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast