Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't smoke again. It's not good for your health and you have to respect all people surround you by not smoking when getting chat wit them. Smoking is a bad attitude
    Ride a bike and save the world

banned
    Dec 2011
    Congratulations BruceW and others who won their goal of not smoking.
    I'm fixing to light up another, enjoying the last of this pack, then chucking all cigarette materials and even my e-cigs, and going cold turkey again. This is going to suck, so I tallied up what I spent on cigs this year, and bought a steel road bike frame set for about the same amount, to remind and punish myself. I've got a kid, and I know I can't smoke around her so sneaking around to smoke or vape is a problem, and I don't want her to do it when she's a teen or ever. Someone suggested anti-depressants to quit smoking. I would be more scared of shrink drugs being addictive or having bad effects, than cigs. I think I will just buy a punching bag. Good luck all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sunawang View Post
    Don't smoke again. It's not good for your health and you have to respect all people surround you by not smoking when getting chat wit them. Smoking is a bad attitude
    Someone should quit smoking so that you don't have to smell the tobacco? Are you serious? Who do you think you are?

Your post is a bad attitude. Attitude like in your post annoyed me when I was a smoker and it still annoys me now five years after I quit.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I ocassionally will go for a cigar.... once every few months....

Too bad I don't look dashing like (part of Rule 22):
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

coaster
    Oh, cigarettes. I don't see many cigarettes in the cycling scene but plenty of doobies get lit up on road and mtb rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Some say nicotine addiction is harder to overcome than the heroine one... I smoked a packet and half on average for (!)23 years, and only managed to quit with medication. Haven't smoked for the last 9 years, and never had cravings, not even once! Actually can't stand the smell...

For anyone wanting to quit, but finding it difficult. The medication name is Zyban; same substance is marketed also under the names of Wellbutrin/ Bupropion (all by GSK); it's a prescription drug, and a very effective for quitting smoking.
    Last edited by LO^OK; 01-05-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: font

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    role model....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Sounds like an oxy-moron

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    First I will say that the very first post which read "Smoking is stupid. Cycling rox." did make me laugh a bit. I am not sure if it was because of the request to not post things like 'smoking sux', or just the general idea.

This being only my second post here, I'll try to be of some help.

I have never been a smoker, but a friend of mine has been for many years. Before I had to re-locate here to Virginia, he took up riding, and has ridden with me as well as he could (I let him set the pace). I could see how smoking hindered cardiovascular performance in a man my own age. He did stop smoking before I had to move away. Over a couple of months, I did see a decent increase in his performance. His time over distance bettered by about 25% in two months. He is doing even better now (I have not seen him in 9 months, but he even sounds better on the phone). How much better a person does after giving up smoking will vary from person to person. It's all in the genetics - etc.. But based on what my friend says, and seeing him better his performance over two months, you will feel better and perform better. I wish you luck in this.

One perk I did tell my friend: The two grand you save in smokes this year will get you a really nice road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    on the 31st dec 2012 i told myself to quit smoking starting 1st jan 2013 (i smoke one pack a day for more than 10years haha),
    today is the 7th day i've not been smoking, i feel much better right now except some withdrawal symptoms,
    i noticed the below when on trainer:
    1. lower heart beat rate
    2. i am breathing more effectively, i can feel my lungs, my lungs are like 'racing filter' now with more oxygen intake
    3. i have more 'torque' and can do longer intervals!
    4. i don't feel as exhausted as before

thanks

Infinite pursuit of speed
    Quote Originally Posted by kulcha View Post
    on the 31st dec 2012 i told myself to quit smoking starting 1st jan 2013 (i smoke one pack a day for more than 10years haha),
    today is the 7th day i've not been smoking, i feel much better right now except some withdrawal symptoms,
    i noticed the below when on trainer:
    1. lower heart beat rate
    2. i am breathing more effectively, i can feel my lungs, my lungs are like 'racing filter' now with more oxygen intake
    3. i have more 'torque' and can do longer intervals!
    4. i don't feel as exhausted as before

thanks
    Congratulations on your 1st week of being smoke-free. Keep up the great work. When you get outside your performance gains will be well worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Good luck dude, stick to it. The last cig I smoked was June 12, 1981. I remember the date because the nurse wrote on the chalkboard in my room in the intensive care unit when I was 29 years old. I was smoking 2+ packs a day, weighed 340 pounds, drank AT LEAST a twelve pack a day, and did cocaine like it was free. The doctor told me to get my affairs in order, because at that rate, my days were numbered. (I was hospitalized for heart problems....hmmmm, I wondered why). Thank god I listened to him. I never smoked another cigarette, though to this day the craving is there. I also shed 125 pounds, nixed the coke, quit drinking.

I still battle weight and heart issues, but now I'm riding at least 20 miles per day (not a lot I know compared to most people on this forum) And in ok health given my past. Take it from me...NOTHING is worth smoking cigarettes...you'll start feeling better within days after quitting, and you'll replace it with things that aren't a constant money drain, and things like riding will become much easier, more enjoyable, and serve to improve your quality of life, rather than destroy it. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    Last edited by Rollingeezer; 01-08-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: MIS stroke on keyboard

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollingeezer View Post
    Thank god I listened to him. I never smoked another cigarette, though to this day the craving is there. I also shed 125 pounds, nixed the coke, quit drinking.
    Damn dude, Well Done!

But sometimes it's like, How many things am I gonna hafta quit before I die.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    To all who want to quit or have recently quit - do yourself a favor and read The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allan Carr. It will really help you with the mental part of quitting - which, as I found, is probably 99% of the battle anyway. It worked for me: no drugs, no patches, no gum, nothing. After years of trying all that a book, of all things, did the trick. Who woulda thought?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Gunna tell ya my story.

I smoked for about 2 years first year once in a blue moon then it picked up after i started working HVAC.
    After a while i would yak every time i smoked a sig. Picked up road biking to try and help recover some of my lungs.
    Then i moved out west to Colorado. i been here 3 weeks and im out of breath walking up steps atm haha. gotta find some beginner no grade paths out here. (good luck)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Back when I used to run alot. I quit smoking for a time and noticed significant improvements in my run times, especially anything beyond 1 mile.
    Nowadays though I am back to smoking and dreaming of finding the strength to quite. I dont cycle competitively but find that any ride longer than 30 minutes has me significantly more gassed than my riding partner that does not smoke.
    New site combines FB and LinkedIn giving you more control of your privacy settings.
    Watch the videos to learn more.
    https://www.webtalk.org/socialcpa/alexfarberov

B05
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    It'll be 15 days until I hit 1 year of quitting smoking.

I started cycling in July 2011 and I was still smoking back then. Most of my teenage life I was an athlete but as well a smoker. It didn't quite affect me until I hit about 23 when I started noticing a decline on my performance.

How did I quit: Cold turkey. It's all in the mind. No patches, gum nor medications work.

Goodluck to those who are trying to kick the habit. I did 4000kms in 2012. Not bad for a rookie who just picked up the sport.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was a smoker for more than 35 years and I quit when I started riding bikes. I had several quit attempts until I found this web site and helped me through the process. I've been quit for over a year now and I could not be happier I did. If you are really interested in quiting check it out.

QuitSmokingMessageBoard.com • View forum - Quit Smoking Main Board

It's a bunch of guys to support one another, it's like riding the draft from all the people that quit and are there to help you. PM me if you want ever want to talk about quiting.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSlug74 View Post
    Anyone out there cycle and smoke?

Started cycling a few months back, and during this time have changed many aspects of my life in a positive way to accommodate my new found love.... The one thing I have regrettably continued to do is smoke.

3 days ago I gave away the evil weed. I am in my late 30's and have smoked a pack a day for over 20 years.

It has been a tough 3 days but I am hoping I can make this stick for fitness, financial and long term health issues.

My question? Has anyone else been a smoker and cycler and then stopped? I am imagining some great performance improvements but have no idea of what sort of % improvements I will receive and over what time frame to expect these?

Info, advise or even motivation from someone who has been there before would be greatly appreciated...

And please, do not fill this thread with comments such as "smoking is supid" and other non constructive comments. It is extremely hard to explain the addition of cigarettes to a non smoker. What I am looking for here are similar experiences and constructive comments.

Thank you,
    TheSlug74
    First congratulations- what you're doing is great for you, your family, society, everyone. Much easier to continue doing the same things than changing, particularly when those things are addictive.

I quit smoking about 25 years ago. Biking helps because the feedback from your lungs when they are mucked up from smoking is pretty drastic- there's no rationalizing to yourself as might be possible with bowling or golf (no offense to either). I still have trouble breathing when climbing very hard in cold weather- I blame smoking but my doc says it's probably the frigid air.

The best tip is to avoid situations/people where you smoked. Don't worry, you can explain it to them, and later you can still hang out with them. Also something like sunflower seeds can help break the actual physical habits of lighting, puffing, etc.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Bill2; 01-12-2013 at 08:54 PM.

banned
    Dec 2011
    So far, so good, for me. I can't afford a little red sports car, so I'm putting together a road bicycle. hahhaha. I'm off the cigs, so far so good. Dashed my e-cigs too, didn't even try to give them away, I knew I'd puff on them if they were around. I am suffering insomnia pretty bad. My appetite has been better though, and I don't feel as crabby or sick as the first week. I feel aggravated and at times nauseous though. Blah. I just think about that red bike, and how my wife likes my butt when I wear the bike shorts. hahaha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi guys,

Its been a while since I started this thread and a while since I have posted on it so I thought I would post an update.

It has now been 20 days since I stopped smoking......

It has not been easy and at times extremely difficult. I won't lie about that. Thankfully, my wife hasn't left me yet.... as there has been times when I have been a little on the deranged and aggitated side!!! To explain, this is about my 20th attempt in the last 20 or so years to stop, but NEVER have I achieved this length of abstanence so I am feeling awesome and extremely positive about this being a fix for life!!!!

I think as previously mentioned I have been doing a fair bit more riding than usual to keep my mind occupied through all this, and am typically hitting up to 200km plus a weekend as well as some mid week rides (weekend have typically been when I have drank and smoked most - up to 2 packs a day from my normal 1 pack a day...so it seemed "logical" to spend more time on the bike on weekends as part of my "get well plan")

Today is an appropriate day for this post. In my OP I asked about the time it takes to see benefits etc......

Today, I did a 70km loop. The part of this I measure most is a 31km loop through the local national park. After a 5 km decent where you reach in excess of 70km/hr and is over in about 5 mins, the next 26km is all up hill. You are shielded from wind etc, so unless you are having a "bad day" times are pretty consistent. Climbing steepness grades vary from 2% to 21.9% with a few hundred meter flat sections. Yes yes hurry up, what is you point????

Today I ripped 10 mins off my previous personal best on this ride (ie over the 31km climbing part)! Yes, I have been doing more kms than normal since I quit smoking (and this can count somewhat towards this effort), but the 500 + lungbusters I have obstained from in the past 20 days I think has to be the most contributing factor....

I doubt this extreme level of improvement will continue to this extent, but in reading on effects on lung restoration etc I am only supposed to see improvements in b/w 2-3 months? Rubbish! 3 weeks in and the differences are amazing....Lets see if the legs can hold up to the lungs! I hope they do....

Anyway, for those on the same journey as me, I wish you the best of luck and stick with it. The cycling benefits are amazing.....For those who have posted messages of encouragement I thank you. They have helped me immensly.

Just my 2 bobs worth on how its been going.....

And as the 2nd posted mentioned......"Smoking SUX, Cycling ROX!!!!!!!"

Cheers,
    The Slug
    2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad - George Orwell

RoadBikeReview Member
    PS: An afterthough for those looking for % improvements etc...

The 1o min bettering of my PB was from 1hr 19m to 1hr 09m....

PS2: The photo on my avatar is not really me....otherwise it would have taken 3hrs 09 mins (that is if I even managed to get up the 21.9% gradients in the first place!!!!)

Not putting $hit on bigger people. I have lost 20kg in the last year so not one to judge. Just thought that photo looked pretty funny....

Cheers,
    The Slug....
    Last edited by TheSlug74; 01-13-2013 at 01:55 AM.
    2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad - George Orwell

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollingeezer View Post
    I still battle weight and heart issues, but now I'm riding at least 20 miles per day (not a lot I know compared to most people on this forum) And in ok health given my past.

Compared to some, I ride a TON of miles (14,500 in 2012). Compared to others, I am mediocre (I know a few pros who log 25,000 a year). To me, it's just miles. I do applaud you for the 20 per day with weight and heart issues. I know healthy people well under 200 pounds who will not do that. So you are addressing issues you have, but not over-doing it. 20 miles a day adds up. If you ride just 200 days in the year, there's a 4,000 mile total. That's a lot more than many people do. Whatever the number of days in the year you ride, kudos to you for the commitment you have. Good riding and stay safe.
    It takes me up to 4 times longer to get there than it would driving, but I get there :) .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I quit years ago. Used the patch and chewed gum. It was nt the first time I quit, but I have not smoked my cervical fusion, august 2005. I cold not even laugh with out getting short of breath. Now I am kayaking miles at a time, not just downstream. Got my first road bike getting tweaked before I pick it up. My advice, don't quit quitting.
    I still have a hard time due to the COPD I developed from a combination of smoking and exposure to stuff in the USN. But it could be worse, could have kept smoking and be using oxygen, walking with a walker and wheezing on the way to the fridge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    here's the secret to not starting again: when you think" I've made it xx days without a cigarette...I've successes fully quit. Now I'm going to just take one drag just to remember what it was like" DON'T DO IT..you'll have just started again. May as well buy a case of cartons. Successfully quitting means never taking that drag again. Ok, end of sermon. Good luck and keep it up!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast